• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interest Check: Carbon Fiber/Fiberglass Pre98 trunk lid

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
I'm about to invest some serious coin into a mold for a pre98 trunk lid. Just curious if there is interest if I were to make extras. Probably looking at around $350+shipping... I'll know more once I get into the materials. I'll be making a carbon fiber exterior with a fiberglass interior and a steel latch assembly. Hopefully I should have pictures by the end of the month of my carbon fiber version. I will most likely be creating a lip spoiler as well. So with that...

Pre98 Trunk Lid:

Pre98 Lip Spolier:

SUPER interested. When will these be made, just a rough estimate.

Well once I'm happy with the mold and it creates a nice part... realistically probably looking at a turn around of about 2 maybe 3 trunks a week since I still have my real job to get to ;). If all goes well production could start in August sometime.

how much would it be for both peices, the trunk and spoiler?

Not sure it all depends on how much material is needed to make the pieces. If I had to just ball park I'd probably say $350 for the trunk lid and $100 for the spoiler, which would probably be on the high side... but again until I actually make a piece these are very rough. If enough people are interested I could buy the carbon fiber and fiberglass in very large rolls, the resin and gel coats in 5 gal buckets, etc all of this would help bring the price down.

What will you be doing for the license plate panel? A third piece? some might like just that for a cheap aesthetic mod. It would be anice money maker to given they can buy both the panel and spoiler for a couple hundred, then get the trunk at a later time.

I would interested in all of it, if this takes flight. Something that would need to be planned into the budget.

What will you be doing for the license plate panel? A third piece? some might like just that for a cheap aesthetic mod. It would be anice money maker to given they can buy both the panel and spoiler for a couple hundred, then get the trunk at a later time.

I would interested in all of it, if this takes flight. Something that would need to be planned into the budget.

I was actually going to mold it in for a smooth look. However if people are truly interested in just buying that piece... I'd almost prefer to wrap the part rather then messing with making a mold for it. Because at that point people are just looking for the aesthetics of it not for weight savings.

I was actually going to mold it in for a smooth look. However if people are truly interested in just buying that piece... I'd almost prefer to wrap the part rather then messing with making a mold for it. Because at that point people are just looking for the aesthetics of it not for weight savings.

Personally I'm only interested for the weight savings, as my car will be a dedicated track car... What kind of a response are you looking for to actually build these?

Out of curiosity, what is the expected weight savings?
Erick --

Not sure, but I'd expect the trunk, depending on what materials I make them out of, to weigh about 5-10lbs.

Personally I'm only interested for the weight savings, as my car will be a dedicated track car... What kind of a response are you looking for to actually build these?

I'm curious to know how many people would be willing to spend $350 for a trunk lid. If there is enough interest that will dictate how I buy the material. If it's just going to be me I'm not going to make the mold bullet proof to produce a number of copies and I'm not going to buy the raw materials in large bulk quantities. If there is interest to purchase 5 or more trunks then I'll collect deposits after I make a prototype and then purchase enough material in bulk quantities to cover the requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back