• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MAJOR and SUDDEN Throttle Hang

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
This just started. My motor only has about 20K on it.
I first noticed it when shifting, the RPM's didn't drop.
Upon further testing it seems pretty bad.
I can be driving normally, at around 4K RPM's, drop it into neutral, and the RPM's don't budge for a good 10 seconds, then they start to drop ever so slowly....
Just a week ago I had ZERO throttle hang at all...

Any ideas?

I'm having the same issues now. I can start the car and drive it and never get over 2500rpms and then hit the clutch and it will climb up to about 4500 and stay there for a min and slowly drop down. Luckily I live in the country and don't have to deal with many traffic lights but when I do come across them I just kill the engine and start it up again. It idles fairly well after start up until driven but it is still even up at 1200 or so and now occasionally at 750rpms. I had no problems prior either until about a week ago. Maybe we'll both figure this out.

My thoughts exactly, seems like a TPS issue... luckily for brent, I have a breand spanking new one sitting in a box in my garage we cna put itwhen he gets his butt here for the weekend!

If it's major and sudden, I think the most likely cause is a vacuum hose that popped off or came into contact with your EGR and melted.

EDIT: To determine if the TPS is at fault, wouldn't you just unplug it? That's how to determine if the MAF is bad.

Back