• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: OEM Roof trim parts GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:
I am about pull my hair out on this one!

Been calling the list I had received and am not making any headway on this one. Two of the companies I call said "That is information we will not give out, it is privileged information on our end". Another one said "That is something we would have no knowledge of".

I will continue my search

UPDATE:
I am about pull my hair out on this one!

Been calling the list I had received and am not making any headway on this one. Two of the companies I call said "That is information we will not give out, it is privileged information on our end". Another one said "That is something we would have no knowledge of".

I will continue my search

What information are you asking for? It should go along the lines of...

"I understand that you used to manufacture the roof trim seals for the 95-00 Ford Contour. I have a large group of people seeking replacement parts for their cars, which have been discontinued by Ford. Do you have the capability to build a batch of parts to provide replacements?"

You should hear one of the following answers.

A) No, we never manufactured them.
B) We are not at liberty to discuss our business with Ford Motor Company
C) Yes we manufactured them, but we can not provide you with parts due to our relations with Ford Motor Company.
D) Some other response stating the same thing as B or C
E) Yes we did manufacture them at one time. However our mold is no longer available/ or is not suitable for making parts.
F) Yes we did manufacture them at one time. We may be able to help you with a small production run.

Roof drip rail moulding comparison pics...

Roof drip rail moulding comparison pics...

Hey Y'all,
Regarding manufacturer -- The NOS, original moulding that I have in the garage indicates on the packaging that it was made in Canada.

As for this GB, I've been doing some info gathering regarding the potential differences between Mk2 Mondeo's and our 98-00 Contours as might affect the GB.

Thus, I requested assistance from one of our UK members. He agreed to take photos of the Mk2 Mondeo drip rail moulding and measure it for length. With this info I could see if there were any obvious differences before ordering a set to do final confirmation.

Here is what I have found:
1. They both measure at ~50" => So far, so good... :cool:
2. The roof line for each car is the same at the glass intersection on the front => so far, so good... :cool:
3. The roof line is different at the back [notice the lack of curve on the Mondeo rear window] => not so good... :blackeye:

See both front and rear pics below

1998 Mondeo Mk2 -
Front -
DripRail-LF_1998Mondeo..jpg
Rear -
DripRail-LR_1998Mondeo..jpg

2000 Black Contour SVT -

Front / Rear -
DripRail-LF_2000Contour_sm..jpg DripRail-LR_2000Contour_sm..jpg

So what do you all think?

Well you need to remember that there are two versions of the roof trim on the Mondeo's as they had the estate and saloon models. Here is that response from Trevor. Notice he states that the comparable Mondeo part is also discontinued...

Trevor@Ford Parts UK said:
Hi Mike.
I have looked on to this again.
I do have a U.S Parts number to European conversion program.
F5RZ5450463A and F5RZ5450462A do not cross refer to 1045576 & 1045578
They cross refer to 1664521 & 1665422
Unfortunately these parts are no longer available
1045576 & 1045578 are available but i am not able to clarify compatability unfortunately
Regards
Trevor

Understood.
The pics are from a Mk2 Saloon model, not an Estate.
So what do you think about the fit?
I am concerned that the rear end section of the Mondeo moulding is not angled like on the Contours.
Don't know if, or how much, it will matter.

Understood.
The pics are from a Mk2 Saloon model, not an Estate.
So what do you think about the fit?
I am concerned that the rear end section of the Mondeo moulding is not angled like on the Contours.
Don't know if, or how much, it will matter.

So then the car shown is indeed a 98 Ford Mondeo Saloon. If so then it fits the bill. As for the fit, that end piece does appear to be molded differently. However that said it may still work just the same. Actually that end piece may be able to be removed from our existing trim pieces and placed on the new Mondeo pieces. That may be the only difference between the two. Either way its hard to say without buying a new set and installing them.

Yes it is a 98 Mk2 Mondeo Saloon.
I would say it is very close, but not a perfect match. I couldn't tell from the UK photo if the back end of the moulding was angled or straight... Again, that may not matter.
Also, I noticed when removing the right side drip moulding on my car that the end pieces are molded together with the rest, and that the entire piece is internally metal with a rubber like outer coating.

Do you have a new one to compare, or were you planning to compare on your existing one?
I was planning to compare on a new one.
In any case, I think we have as much remote info as possible without doing the purchase...

Yea I'll probably just end up ordering a set, but that will be after I receive my cylinder heads back from BPE Racing. However I did talk with that guy at Metro Moulding again and he agreed to look the parts over if I stop. I couldn't last week as they were at the SEMA show. So the plan is to swing by after work sometime this week. Although I know this route will be expensive as it will require them to create a mold.

You know I was thinking I may just take a mold of the ones I have and create fiberglass replacements. You could then paint them to match your car or paint them flat black again. Whether it is fiberglass or rubber it doesn't matter as it will still require a silicone bead along the bottom of it anyway. At least that was the way my OEM piece was installed and that was how I was going to reinstall the replacement.

Mike, I like the idea of a fiberglass filler instead of this rubber strip. I think it would look better anyway. How about some of our "resident" CF/FG experts like Top Shop, yamaha racer, etc... Maybe one of those guys could make these and make a buck.
Erick --

Roof line fiberglass

Roof line fiberglass

Well whatever you do let us no the part number from the uk as i might have a set.
If you go fiberglass let buy a set as i will spray them n they will be diffrent.

Regards CraigJimmy..jpg

What information are you asking for? It should go along the lines of...

"I understand that you used to manufacture the roof trim seals for the 95-00 Ford Contour. I have a large group of people seeking replacement parts for their cars, which have been discontinued by Ford. Do you have the capability to build a batch of parts to provide replacements?"

You should hear one of the following answers.

A) No, we never manufactured them.
B) We are not at liberty to discuss our business with Ford Motor Company
C) Yes we manufactured them, but we can not provide you with parts due to our relations with Ford Motor Company.
D) Some other response stating the same thing as B or C
E) Yes we did manufacture them at one time. However our mold is no longer available/ or is not suitable for making parts.
F) Yes we did manufacture them at one time. We may be able to help you with a small production run.

I have been hearing more along the lines of:
We did not produce those and can not help you out in any way. Best of luck to you.

so if these break do they leak water into the passenger floor? Maybe that's my problem! and if that's the case how hard are they to install? I'll also get a set left and right if this is my problem.

No, these are essentially just covers for the joint where your lid meets the side. All cars/trucks/vans have them.
The cause of your leak is probably your moon roof or windshield or something like that.
Erick --

ahh ok sorry. I thought for a second these were the plastic things that attach to the windshield. Wonder if that's my problem then?

ahh ok sorry. I thought for a second these were the plastic things that attach to the windshield. Wonder if that's my problem then?

That or you didn't have a good seal to the joint that these cover and it rusted through...

Well there is still the Metro Moulding option. However every time I have been able to stop by and talk with them they are extremely busy trying to meet deadlines with other projects. I have a lot of time off work in the coming weeks so I have a feeling I'll finally be able to meet with them. However this will be an expensive option requiring a lot of money up front. I (or someone) would have to pay for the molds, which will probably be in the realm of $3k-5k each. So figure at the least amount, $6k in tooling and then whatever we could get for a whole sale piece part cost. Say the parts are only $15 a piece depending on how many parts we bought... lets just say for sake of argument we were able to get enough people to purchase a total of 30 sets... that would be $115+shipping per side moulding ($230+shipping for both) just to break even. However I guess that is reasonable considering it is a discontinued piece. That said if I was able to make a fiberglass version... it would be considerable cheaper.

All that said I should be able to meet with Metro Moulding next week. I'll (of course) update the thread once I've met with them.

Forgive me for being uninformed to fiberglass pricing, but I would think a fiberglass option would be MUCH cheaper. Maybe even something we could pose to one of the resident FG/CF helpers we've seen here semi-lately - Top Shop, yamaha racer, brodixx1 etc...
Personally, I think they would look better too, but that's just one man's opinion! :)
Just thinking out loud...
Erick --

Forgive me for being uninformed to fiberglass pricing, but I would think a fiberglass option would be MUCH cheaper. Maybe even something we could pose to one of the resident FG/CF helpers we've seen here semi-lately - Top Shop, yamaha racer, brodixx1 etc...
Personally, I think they would look better too, but that's just one man's opinion! :)
Just thinking out loud...
Erick --

No your right. It would probably be a cheaper solution. I'm just not sure how much variance there is with the welding on these cars. Yes I know they were all robotically welded, but I'm wondering why Ford would have chosen a rubber trim piece over that of a composite piece. At least with the rubber trim it is forgiving. With a fiberglass piece its one size fits all or bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back