• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: OEM Roof trim parts GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've left a voicemail with my contact at Metro Moulded Parts. I'm on vacation from now until Jan 3rd so hopefully sometime in between there he can meet with me.

Just thought I'd update this... Mike called me back Monday this week and said that he was out the Friday after I called and that with the short week this week he'd like to meet next week. Unfortunately I'm on vacation and out of town next week. So we agreed to meet the first week of Jan. I will call him back Jan 3rd to setup a meeting time. Unreal how long this has taken to meet with this guy. Hopefully I get some good news out of the deal. I'll keep everyone posted with what I find out, but looks like I won't have any info until Jan. 7th at the latest.

Alright boys and girls we have light on this topic.

I met with Mike today and he told me that what I showed him, as it is currently made, is not something he would consider part of their business. He called it more of a window rail/sweeper type of product. That said he knew some people at a couple of companies that did this work. He is going to contact them tomorrow and send me their information. He also realized that I have been putting a lot of effort into this and told me if I strike out with these companies that he could still help us out if we wanted to do a solid rubber version. He did tell me that it would look nicer then the part we currently have. That said ball park costs he gave me seem very, very good and would be something I'd be willing to invest. However for me to invest in that amount I would need people to pay up front to guarantee their commitment to buying the part. Turn around time would be fairly decent. As for minimum production orders since I'm local he is willing to work with me. Normally they require 100 piece minimum order, but he mentioned the possibility of doing 20. In that case I think we already have enough people interested.

So what do you guys think about a solid rubber insert?

I think that would be ok, sounds better than not being able to get anything made at all! Thanks for putting in all the time and effort on this. I would be willing to pay up front for a couple sets.

Yea I'm pretty sure the solid rubber pieces will be just as nice as what we have now. Although at the same time I'm interested to see if I can do something in fiberglass too. The the thing about doing these in rubber again... is they will eventually wear out and crack again just like the ones we have now (I would assume anyway). If we went fiberglass we could paint them and they should quite a while if maintained like the rest of the car. Although the fitment of fiberglass parts would be rough and the rubber pieces should be able to take up the differences from car to car. However I'm getting ahead of myself here. I'll post up once I know more.

yes my friend said he'd be able to paint them for me if they come another version other than rubber and I need one of these before the end of the summer for sure. I have rust underneath it and I need to take the old one off and fix the rust then get a new one on.

No dice yet. I kind of got frustrated with how things were going. Everyone was either not interested or wouldn't be able to work on it for a year (or they were just saying that to keep me away).

I may just have to go back to Metro Moulded parts and see if they would be still willing to do a solid rubber piece. Again this option would require me to pay for the tooling up front in full. So I would absolutely need almost a 75% down deposit to get it going. Then you would be talking about a 3-4 month wait.

damn. well if the price is right I would buy at least the one. Are they going to look the same as stock? If so I just need one. If they are completely diff I might get the other side too just so it's not outta place or anything.

Id be in for a set, my right side one likes to stick up in the air in the front, I like the idea of some fiberglass ones I can paint to match the car, but black rubber will work too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back