• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Brake bracket for DIY 13" Cobra Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you decided if you are providing hardware? I was curious what we can use from the stock brakes and what specifically we need in addition. I am interested.

Late Addition, Deposit sent.
1. biminiLX
2. Homer J. Simpson
3. Eric Cartman
4. dpa43
5. wondo
6. ArtSvt
7. TourEnvy

Hey, I have a set of new, never installed 13" dia. 1-piece Baer rotors that I'm trying to sell... and they would go perfectly with these brackets.

Great news, thanks for the update.
What specific parts did you test them with and do you know anyone local that can do a test fit with the Baer 2-piece rotor?
Great idea on the anodizing also.
-J

Just wondering, I know on 94-95 Mustang Gt's you need to update the Master Cylinder.

I was wondering if needs to be done or thought about. I didnt read it so I can assume no but, I wanted to put it out there in case others had similar questions.

If we dont have to update it, is it because of the capacity is okay or it a matter of Disc/Disc application.?

Just wondering, I know on 94-95 Mustang Gt's you need to update the Master Cylinder.

I was wondering if needs to be done or thought about. I didnt read it so I can assume no but, I wanted to put it out there in case others had similar questions.

If we dont have to update it, is it because of the capacity is okay or it a matter of Disc/Disc application.?
This is essentially the same caliper as in the Baer kit, so I don't see a reason to need a MC upgrade.
-J

Great news, thanks for the update.
What specific parts did you test them with and do you know anyone local that can do a test fit with the Baer 2-piece rotor?
Great idea on the anodizing also.
-J

I tested them with the stock brakes that came off my 94 Cobra. They were the old 38mm piston size version of the Cobra PBR caliper, and the 13" 1-pc cobra rotor. We simply tested them for fit, we did not hook up the brake lines etc.

No need to change the master cylinder, which is good, because there aren't really any options to change the master cylinder to. Of the available versions of the Cobra calipers, the earlier version of the PBRs with 38mm diameter pistons will be the best for a firmer pedal feel. The Cobra R calipers will have a similar pedal feel to the 38mm piston calipers. The later Cobra calipers (~99-04, includes Bullitt, Mach 1, and 10th anniversary versions of the Cobra calipers) has 40.5mm diameter pistons, and will feel a little bit softer, and the pedal will travel just a bit further. Not bad mind you, just noting the difference between the two versions.

And an update on the brackets themselves. I have told the machinist to get started on the 5 sets of brackets that I have recieved deposits for. If you have sent me money, then you are good.

If anyone else wants in, you better hurry up and contact me about getting a deposit in ASAP.

Final details such as anodizing (if I can get this done they will be either black or clear), final cost, delivery time, etc I'm waiting on a response from the machinist. Again Final cost will not be known until the first set is completed, since the cost is 90% from machine time, but it will not exceed $200+ shipping.

I guess to be 100% clear, these are the people I have recieved deposits from and have started brackets for:

biminilx
dpa43
wondo
ArtSVT
TourEnvy

Just FYI, but for anyone still wanting to get in on this, I need to have a deposit in hand before the weekend is over to get you some brackets.

I can't guarantee there will be any more batches after this. I need to run at least 5 sets at a time for it to be worth doing.

Well, my machinist didn't get back to me before he left for the Koni Challenge race this past weekend (race was at Laguna Seca, and we WON :D it'll be on speed channel on May 23rd at noon, watch car 59, that's my team, even if I'm not crewing this year)

Anyway, I need to chat with him and see where we are. I'm sure that at least some of the brackets are machined by now, so he should be able to give me the cost, and we will figure out if the anodizing makes sense as well based on cost (obviously it will cost some $$ to anodize them). I'll post up as soon as I get a chance to talk w/ him.

Sorry for not updating. Seems I forgot that our race team had races on back to back weekends at opposite ends of the country. Last weekend was Laguna Seca (we won) and this weekend was Lime Rock (just ended, looks like we got 5th, should be enough to continue leading the series)

Anyway, because of the races my machinist was only in for 2 days this past week, and I didn't get a good update from him. I should know more tomorrow. I'd imagine they should be mostly done by now though.

Now I see why these group buys often take so long . . . all sorts of things keep happening to delay it . . .

Anyway, my machinist has not been in at all last week because his father passed away, so I haven't been able to get any updates. I believe the other guys in the shop have finished up the brackets, but I've got to wait to hear back from my guy to be sure. I'll try to keep you guys updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back