• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Brake bracket for DIY 13" Cobra Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rebuilding the PBR calipers is easy, basically cleaning and replacing the piston seals and dust boots. Though, the dust boots get trashed easily under heavy use. A lot of guys that track mustangs never bother replacing the boots. Usually the hardest parts about rebuilding calipers are finding the rebuild kits, and the mess from the cleaning part.

I'm 95% sure the Baer rotors will work. The pics I've seen of the Baer 1-pc lately certainly appear to the the same Cobra Rotor blanks, and the 2-pc rotors would have to have the same geometry to work. Though, I will say I'm pretty sure the Baer 2-pc rotors would NOT work with Cobra R calipers, and the 1-pc MAY work, depending on who Baer is sourcing the blanks from.

Thanks man, I may be getting a set from a '95 Cobra for powdercoating/rebuild.
I probably would go with the Baer 2-peice fronts and NPG rear kit.
Let me know if you need anything for the adapters now.
WHO ELSE IS ON THE LIST?
-J

I've had several people express interest in the past, but none have officially had thier name added to the list, bimini, I will need a deposit, but let's wait until we get a few more people so we aren't doing these one set at a time.

I've had several people express interest in the past, but none have officially had thier name added to the list, bimini, I will need a deposit, but let's wait until we get a few more people so we aren't doing these one set at a time.
Definitely, I am in now rush and won't need to do them until next spring.
I don't mind waiting at all and prefer it to get more deposits and bring the cost/unit down.
Thanks for doing this though, next we need to work on brake lines on adapters to use the PBRs with the factory body line, and yes, I want SS lines :cool:
-J

with the lines, I just need to test fit a few to make sure I know which ones are which. They changed on the Cobra a couple times, so there are different threads for the banjo bolts depending on which caliper you have. Stock contour lines (or SS replacements) may work fine on some of the PBR calipers, I just need to check. Ben is working on bringing his car (my old car) over tomorrow for a test fit using the calipers from my long-sold 94 Cobra.

I'm still surprised nobody has jumped on the Cobra R kit. Brembo 4-piston fixed calipers tested to OEM durability specs, plus rotors, plus brackets for only $1250 . . . that's like getting the brackets for free compared to the price everyone else is charging for Cobra R calipers. Plus the rotors that come with them are zinc-plated (that gold finish) and come either slotted or drilled from Brembo (pretty sure I can offer a choice of either slotted or drilled) I'd recommend slotted, but the drilled ones won't be a problem, and some people like the look . . . Again, I only have one kit available for the Cobra R stuff, and its just because a buddy of mine happens to have a kit left in his racing stuff. And yes, it is all brand new.

i wouldnt mind getting in on this as well. I miss the baer kit i had on my silver svt. That was prob my single most favorite mod ever done next to a 3l swap :crazy:

Just for clarification is $200 a worst case scenario price for the brackets, and if so what is a best price scenario looking like?

Ok, here's the list so far.

1. biminiLX
2. Homer J. Simpson
3. Eric Cartman
4. dpa43

Cost will definately not be higher than $200+ shipping (from 48186) that was the conservative estimate from the machinist for a set of brackets. It could get down as low as $150/set, but I won't know until after at least the first set has run.

icy, wondo, or anyone else, let me know if you want on the list for sure.

For everyone else, I'm going to start collecting deposits so I can get the parts running over at the machine shop. I will send out PMs to each person for the deposit money, basically $100/per set, with the remaining balance due when the brackets are ready to ship.

btw, I don't think I mentioned it here, but I HIGHLY recommend anyone doing this upgrade to also do a rear upgrade as well, either the warmonger / NPG rear kit, or the TCE rear kit.

1. biminiLX
2. Homer J. Simpson
3. Eric Cartman
4. dpa43
5. TST-MT-CSVT#4923
6. wondo

Let's get those deposits in guys. I'd like to give the machine shop the order to start by monday. So far, I've got one deposit, and one promise for one this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back