• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Brake bracket for DIY 13" Cobra Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rara

Hard-core CEG'er
What kind of interest is there for a brake bracket to allow use of Mustang Cobra brake calipers? These are the brackets that I have mentioned a few times over the last year or so.

Essentially, a finished setup would be very similar to the Baer 13" track kit, but would allow use of a Mustang Cobra caliper instead of the Baer specific PBR caliper that is very similar, but doesn't bolt up the same.

I would provide only the brackets, and possibly some hardware, depending on what I can source.

What you would need to complete a setup:

Calipers - any 94-04 Mustang Cobra front brake calipers (Bullitt and Mach 1 will work too); This would include both the regular cobra PBR caliper that is similar to the Baer, but it would also include the 4-piston brembo calipers from the 2000 Cobra R. For the PBR calipers, 94-98 calipers w/ the 38mm pistons would be best for pedal feel, but any of them will work fine.

Rotors - any 94-04 Mustang Cobra, Bullitt, or Mach 1 rotor, but you will have to redrill the holes for the 4x108 pattern on the contour. I will provide a template with each bracket set, and all you need is a drill press, or a steady hand w/ a hand drill, and a die grinder bit to open up the last hole a bit.
You will also need hub rings to center the rotor, just like Baer provides with thier kit. I will provide info where to source as well.
Baer replacement rotors, and the Baer 2-pc track-plus rotors MAY work, but final offset would need to be verified. Anyone that wants to know for sure can ship me thier Baer rotors so I can check, and I will ship them back at your expense as well.
If you use the Cobra R brembo calipers, I'm pretty sure you will need to stick with the brembo rotors from the 99+ Cobra/Bullitt/Mach 1 in order to fit the larger caliper. I don't think the Baer rotors will fit with the Cobra R caliper.

Brake lines - these will depend on what vintage calipers you use, as there are some variations, but most contour SS lines, and even stock lines can be made to work with the correct banjo bolt, or fitting adapter, none of which is very expensive.

Wheels - its up to you to determine if your wheels will clear the brakes. With the PBR calipers, if your wheels fit over a Baer kit, they should fit over the Cobra kit. With the Cobra R brembo calipers, you will need more spoke clearance because the caliers are wider on the outside of the rotor.

Price for the brackets is TBD, and will partially depend on how much interest there is. My machinist is pricing them out right now. The first set has been made, and I am planning to trial them on a car in the next few weeks to verify proper fit.

I suspect these brackets will mostly interest those that either have mustang brake parts laying around, or are more interested in running a Cobra R setup than the Baer style PBR calipers. If someone wants a Cobra R brake "kit" as well, I have a source for those that I can pass along as well.

No. Requires 17's

There MAY be some 16" wheels out there that would fit over a 13" brake kit, but they will be really big $$ and very hard to find.

As an example, I have fit 17" CCW wheels over a 14" brembo kit on a SN95 Mustang, but it required very careful fitting, and custom wheels.

But, to answer the original question, Pole is still right, no, you'll need 17"s at least when using any of the common wheel choices.

Ok, here's the scoop. 6061 T6 Aluminum brackets will be $200/set plus shipping.

Looking into whether or not we can get a discount if we run a certain number of sets at once, but, it's a lot of machine time to make these things. I even looked at the possibility of making these out of steel to make them cheaper, but the end result would have only been like $5 cheaper.

Just a quick example of what you would need typically.

Brackets from me $200
Cobra Calipers - $338 ( http://www.gefracing.com/Mustang1/Brakes/M-2320-C.asp )
Cobra rotors (use the brembo rotors) $69x2 (From TireRack
Plus a bit for bolts (I'll find some suitable bolts and list a source), line adapters, and hub rings, maybe $25-30

So, a basic setup, not including shipping would be just over $700 once you piece it all together.

The beauty of this setup would be that you have the option to use anything that works for an SN95 Cobra with a little extra effort . . . Like the Cobra R brembos . . .
Which you can get w/ calipers and rotors here : http://www.gefracing.com/Mustang1/Brakes/M-2300-X.asp for $1230
Plus the brackets for $200 and some odds and ends, and it comes out to around $1500 total.

Last edited:
Even better. The links I put above were just off the top of my head, I didn't do any shopping for price at all.

In addition, the price I posted for the brackets is apparently worst case, based on a conservative time estimate from my machinist, the price could drop a decent bit once the brackets have been made.

So, let's try this, we'll start a list, and anyone in for sure, can put thier name on the list and send me a $100 deposit; once we have at least 5 people, I will kick off the machinist. As the first set gets finished, I will be able to let people know how much I can drop the final price. And when any balance due is paid, I will ship each set of brackets. Hopefully we can get these started pretty quick, so we can get brackets out to people in plenty of time to prep for SZ :D

I should have pics of the brackets on a car w/ some old beat up Cobra brakes as an example sometime this weekend. Ben is bringing my old car over to do a final fit check.

Oh, and if you don't want your name to show on the list, but still want some brackets (some people are wierd ;) ) Send me a PM and I'll make up a psuedonym to fill the spot on the list, lol.

1. biminiLX
2. Homer J. Simpson
3. Eric Cartman

Last edited:
This just in!!!! lol I can get someone a brand new set of Cobra R calipers and brembo rotors (zinc washed, and I think I can get your choice of slotted or drilled) and I'll put it together with a set of the brackets for $1250 + shipping. As of right now, I only have ONE set of Cobra R parts that I can get.

Oh yeah, the calipers do include pads.

Last edited:
i might just get a set of brackets for the hell of it. i really dont want to miss out on an opportunity like this. maybe i can find a junkyard cobra in the future. who knows

Do you have any pics? You and I both know I'm not in the market, but these sound pretty badass! :drool:

I have pics of the brackets, but my buddy that hosts all my pics blew away his gallery setup, and apparently deleted everything I had up there :( I'll see what I can do about getting some pics posted up tonight.

I know the cougar and contour suspension and braking setups are similar but I don't know specifics. Would you happen to know if these brackets you'd be making would function correctly on a Cougar? :shrug:

Been talking to a few Cobra guys about finding an older '94-98 set. Ever rebuild a caliper Rara? I was thinking of powdercoating them silver and rebuilding and trying to use the 2-pc Baer rotors. Any thoughts on that?
Anyway, I'm in and can do the deposit if you need it. I'm hoping we can get these done for less than $200.
-J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back