• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another Spec Stage 3+ failure

Just out of curiosity, of those who's Spec 3+ clutches had failures how many of them tracked their cars or drove the car really hard?

of the three I know of, we all posted on NECO in the thread I created none of us had tracked our cars. most I did was shift at redline, and it should handle that without an issue.

I've been trying to get a hold of Oleg, the guy at Clutchnet that apparently you need to speak with if you want to discuss making a "custom setup". When I do finally get a hold of him, I'm going to let him know that there is plenty of interest in their product by the Contour & Cougar community.

I've already sent him the link to this thread and expalined what has been happening to the Spec clutches but who knows if he's taken the time to read any of this.

I'm also going to be asking him about a setup that incorporates a full faced disk with a stronger compound like their Red series disks. Hopefully I can speak to him soon as I need a setup asap.

clutchnet will make whatever you ask for, you just need specs. just ask them for a red rating, ceramic metallic, closed window, sprung hub disc, for a ford contour :D

Good to know - how do you like your new setup compared to the old?

still chattery (i have a 6 puck) but its awesome. it actually engages better than the spec did too. you can "mostly" ease the clutch out from a dead stop without it bucking or anything. the spec clutch would shudder the whole car if you let it out too slow. it grabs like crazy, no matter how hot it is.

I've been trying to get a hold of Oleg, the guy at Clutchnet that apparently you need to speak with if you want to discuss making a "custom setup". When I do finally get a hold of him, I'm going to let him know that there is plenty of interest in their product by the Contour & Cougar community.

I've already sent him the link to this thread and expalined what has been happening to the Spec clutches but who knows if he's taken the time to read any of this.

I'm also going to be asking him about a setup that incorporates a full faced disk with a stronger compound like their Red series disks. Hopefully I can speak to him soon as I need a setup asap.

Group buy? :D

I only need a disc I think. I am still leaning towards stock SVT PP

well spec should have gotten my last email yesterday with the hardness test information but I have not heard anything back. I might wait a day or two and try again.

but at this point I want my car back on the road. I think that I will try the fiber-carbon clutchnet disk with the red pressure plate, or maybe the yellow and go from there. got nothing to lose at this point other then the money on parts. and I want to drive my car again :cry:

I spoke to Oleg yesterday (he seems to be the only one that will take a special order) and he sounded pretty busy but said he'd write back to me. I sent another email this morning and am going to continue to contact them until he has something solid to tell me. I've been trying to get a hold of him for a while now. I was trying to get a setup from them for a swap out this weekend but unless he takes my order today and can overnight it to me I don't think it's going to happen.

I may have to go with the Spec Stage 3 & PP I have sitting in my garage. It's been used on the car before but I know it was made several years ago and am hoping it was made before they started having major issues.

yeah if you can get then to make a full faced red clutch disk then i would try that first. however I want my car back on the road since it been sitting for almost two months now. I think that the fiber carbon will work for me right now as I don't plan to track the car, just some spirited driving from time to time. I am thinking the extra clamping force of the red pp will help with grip too.

well spec should have gotten my last email yesterday with the hardness test information but I have not heard anything back. I might wait a day or two and try again.

but at this point I want my car back on the road. I think that I will try the fiber-carbon clutchnet disk with the red pressure plate, or maybe the yellow and go from there. got nothing to lose at this point other then the money on parts. and I want to drive my car again :cry:

IIRC you can't mix the PP's, if you get a yellow disc, you gotta use a yellow PP. the thicknesses are different, therefore changing the clamping force. they'll probably match up whatever you want, but i'd skew away from making 100% custom setups, one wrong measurement and it won't work out well.

IIRC you can't mix the PP's, if you get a yellow disc, you gotta use a yellow PP. the thicknesses are different, therefore changing the clamping force. they'll probably match up whatever you want, but i'd skew away from making 100% custom setups, one wrong measurement and it won't work out well.

everything I read on the webpage says that all the parts are interchangable and interchangeable with stock parts. to me that says they are all the same. however one note says to match performance level. but then again when I called they told me the red 6 puck with the yellow pp for good grip and to take the power and to not have to heavy of a clutch pedal.

just looking at the clutchnet webpage and I see that the yellow pp for the cougar is only $208 where as the one for the contour svt is listed for $245 ... and you can get a red 3x pp also.

looks like the same for the clutch disks also ....

Last edited:
well if they are using the stock stampings and just changing the springs I'd think the price difference is from the wide availability of the sachs se/cougar style oem parts, or maybe they just figure since people are dumb enough to pay twice as much for a car because of a sticker, they'd probably pay as much extra for the parts?

I keed, I keed

I ordered a setup yesterday and ended up going with the Red PP and 6 puck disk. He did mention that the PP is basically a stock version that has been heat treated, painted & anything else they do to it. It should have enclosed springs as well.

It should be in the car by Sat/Sun so I'll have pictures and a first test drive by then.

I ordered a setup yesterday and ended up going with the Red PP and 6 puck disk. He did mention that the PP is basically a stock version that has been heat treated, painted & anything else they do to it. It should have enclosed springs as well.

It should be in the car by Sat/Sun so I'll have pictures and a first test drive by then.
hmmmmmmm I'll get to see this in person:drool:

I'd really like to see some comparo pics of the clutch.net PP next to a take out SVT PP, especially with some calipers on the critical parts to determine the differences.

Back