• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another Spec Stage 3+ failure

Nope there is a few of us. Mine sounds terrible and I havent even put 1500 miles on it yet.
Mine sounds terrible when other people drive it, but when I drive it, I get 0 noise so I dunno what the problem is, maybe Im the only one who can drive a clutch lol.

starjammir, your in just as much danger as us now, its not our driving habits that are eating these things up. they used terrible rivets, and poor quality metals to put the disc together.

sitting the clutchnet disc next to the spec disc, i LOL'd. its 10x the clutch. buy one!

starjammir, your in just as much danger as us now, its not our driving habits that are eating these things up. they used terrible rivets, and poor quality metals to put the disc together.

sitting the clutchnet disc next to the spec disc, i LOL'd. its 10x the clutch. buy one!

x2. I drive like a grandma. :laugh:

I've been lurking and reading this.
I have a contact/friend who is a Spec engineer and has a side turbo business.
I run a Spec 3+ and formerly a 3 6-puck in my Mustang.
I could get his contact info. if you are interested to see if he can help.
-J

I've been lurking and reading this.
I have a contact/friend who is a Spec engineer and has a side turbo business.
I run a Spec 3+ and formerly a 3 6-puck in my Mustang.
I could get his contact info. if you are interested to see if he can help.
-J

please. Brapple and I aren't looking for heads here. Just try to figure out exactly what is going on. I don't care if I get any compensation at all....no need for a refund or new clutch or anything....just some answers and not the joke type that the rep gave brapple.

I will contact him tonight and see if he can help.
He's started a very cool side turbo business and I hope he still is at Spec (pretty sure he is)....check it out google 'supernatural turbo' shop
-J

answers to what is going on would be nice. I really liked the stage 3+ clutch. however with out answers and some sort of guarentee that this isn't going to happen again I am not going to use Spec Clutches nor recommend them to anyone.

I am a firm believer in word of mouth advertising. my mortgage broker does also and he does his best job possible all the time and it shows. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone I know. But this less then acceptable support from Spec just makes me not want to recommend them to anyone.

in fact at this point I have a feeling many are going to shy away from Spec products. I know I have had a few people with brand new in the box Stage 3+ clutch kits asking me what they should do and what I am going to do. I haven't answered anyone yet because I explored and researched what I could and have been in contact with Spec to come to a good solid conclusion for myself and others. I haven't gotten there yet ....

Last edited:
I hear you but I've only had great experiences with Spec, and before reading this would have gone withy a 3+ no question. Hopefully they will step up and help you guys. Maybe my contact will be able to help.
-J

I really like my Stage 3+ - I love how easy it is to drive in traffic and how damn brutal the engagement can be when you drop the hammer and the rubber turns to smoke. It has always made a little noise, but it sounds like something has been squeaking on engagement for quite awhile.

I've got over 45K on my 3L Spec 3+ combo - I am not sure how long the clutch is going to last with this vibration... Most of my driving is freeway where I don't shift at all - I drive 110 miles a day to work and back - that is probably the only reason I got as much use out of mine as I have so far....

good to know man. I've been interested in the clutch net stuff since way back on the other site. I think I know what I'm going to get now.

the clutchnet disk you had for comparison, what material was it?

I hear you but I've only had great experiences with Spec, and before reading this would have gone withy a 3+ no question. Hopefully they will step up and help you guys. Maybe my contact will be able to help.
-J

I think the quality at Spec has dropped off across the board in the last few years. 3 or more years ago you heard nothing but good things, i had one in my turbo fox body. Since then, i have heard a lot of bad things. In fact, my friend owns a performance shop, and they stopped recommending Spec clutches. They had some that didnt fit (splines i think werent right), one that had major vibration, and i think one that the disc came apart. None of these on contours.

I agree with turbo_fox. People a few years ago had great luck with spec units. Not so much in the recent years. Again I really liked my 3+. It's was perfect for the application. But I can see going with it again after all these failures.

Damnit, now im getting parnoid!!! Spec 3 in mine.

What disk is in Ryan's car? I know its still low miles but both he and Stazi drove/drive it pretty hard.

lol its funny evrytime i put on a stage 1-3 and it dosent matter who makes it its crap but stock oem sach luk or valevo clutches last and last back in my honda days all those shiny looking red yellow kits never lasted more then 40k so i got an oem clutch one time and it lasted 150k then i still sold the car then i went to vw blew the centerforce to bits in 3 weeks got a sach drove on it hard for 2 yrs and it grabd the same as the day it was new

stock clutches are desingd to last atleast 100k with all kinda driveing the aftermarket stuff usualy is made in china out of cheap matireals
only improvment on are cars is to go to a svt flywheel and clutch kit cause its slightly bigger so more griping power and long life and i will say that ford dropt the ball on this clutch desing cause its a smaller clutch in a 2.5 then what i seen in some 1.8 and thier is a reason why Bat clutch kits are sach and luk cause they know they last

lol its funny evrytime i put on a stage 1-3 and it dosent matter who makes it its crap but stock oem sach luk or valevo clutches last and last back in my honda days all those shiny looking red yellow kits never lasted more then 40k so i got an oem clutch one time and it lasted 150k then i still sold the car then i went to vw blew the centerforce to bits in 3 weeks got a sach drove on it hard for 2 yrs and it grabd the same as the day it was new

stock clutches are desingd to last atleast 100k with all kinda driveing the aftermarket stuff usualy is made in china out of cheap matireals
only improvment on are cars is to go to a svt flywheel and clutch kit cause its slightly bigger so more griping power and long life and i will say that ford dropt the ball on this clutch desing cause its a smaller clutch in a 2.5 then what i seen in some 1.8 and thier is a reason why Bat clutch kits are sach and luk cause they know they last

uh...

i might add that when i called spec, they did offer me a "deal"

they wouldnt warranty the clutch fully, but if i sent them the disc and proved that it was a failure, and not a wear issue, they would give me a disc for cost. however, i had no interest in a spec disc again, i just called to see what they'd do for me.

Damnit, now im getting parnoid!!! Spec 3 in mine.

What disk is in Ryan's car? I know its still low miles but both he and Stazi drove/drive it pretty hard.

its a spec stage 3 also I believe. I know its a spec because stazi told me a few weeks ago

Back