• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another Spec Stage 3+ failure

no, the later tower has a weld that fails, similar to the bolt from my understanding. The only advantage is there is no bolt to drop into the transmission. I do not believe the later towers are any stronger.

Also, imho, the later towers have poor shifter feel. The early tower have bearings instead of bushings .... bearing>>>bushings imho

Anotha one bites the dust AH! I think... I was driving home last week on the freeway & i noticed my clutch pedal started vibrating severly as i gently set my left foot on it without engaging. No oil leaks anywhere. Now she runs slightly rough & makes a ticking noise as if the engine was toast. I know it isn't the engine as i can still build boost as normal. Also, the noise is sometimes rpm dependent, & will come on whether clutch is engaged or not. Anyone confirm with their experience that it's indeed the clutch? It still drives, but i have parked it until i know for sure what it is.

FWIW, my clutch lasted about 25k miles...

Edit- Anyone know for sure? I wanna add that the ra ta ta ta ta ta ta noise frequency increases consistently & stays that way when i clutch in.

Last edited:
After doing more online research, i gleaned that it's most likely the throw out bearing. Of course i can't know for sure until i pull it apart. When i cross that bridge, i'll post again. However, if that's the case, that will leave me with a major dillemma. If it indeed turns out to be the TOB, & the clutch components are fine, i'll be torn between replacing my damage prone SPEC 3+ clutch with a clutchnet one and leaving it in there & replacing just the TOB. Hmmm..... We shall see...

When my stage 3+ failed that TOB was working fine. Although it was making alot a noise with the clutch pedal out. This is due to the clutch material getting into the bearing, iirc.

I wish I was able to get 25k out of that clutch. It drove very nicely with it. However at this point it would have been a pia for me to change it out.

After doing more online research, i gleaned that it's most likely the throw out bearing. Of course i can't know for sure until i pull it apart. When i cross that bridge, i'll post again. However, if that's the case, that will leave me with a major dillemma. If it indeed turns out to be the TOB, & the clutch components are fine, i'll be torn between replacing my damage prone SPEC 3+ clutch with a clutchnet one and leaving it in there & replacing just the TOB. Hmmm..... We shall see...

Replace it since you are in there. That is what I would do anyway. Get it all done with at one shot.

Replace it since you are in there. That is what I would do anyway. Get it all done with at one shot.
Second this - since you are spending the labour to get in there may as well replace it all. 25k on a performance clutch is respectable in any case - its going to be fairly worn.

+1. When anything in my trans goes, whether it be Clutch/Slave/TOB/Diff/Shift Tower/whatever, I'll be replacing everything and adding an LSD. Not worth it to have it out and not futureproof it.

I would pull it out and check it over. If the clutch looks OK, I would probably re-use it. Not because I like re-using parts or saving a few pennies, but because there are not many options for a better driving high performance clutch that lasts in this platform. You would be even more annoyed if you took out a perfectly good 3+ and replaced it with a new clutch that might fall apart in 5k miles. That's the reason I still have my old 3+ in my car, even though I don't need that much clutch (only ~220whp).

When my stage 3+ failed that TOB was working fine. Although it was making alot a noise with the clutch pedal out. This is due to the clutch material getting into the bearing, iirc.

I wish I was able to get 25k out of that clutch. It drove very nicely with it. However at this point it would have been a pia for me to change it out.

Second this - since you are spending the labour to get in there may as well replace it all. 25k on a performance clutch is respectable in any case - its going to be fairly worn.

+1. When anything in my trans goes, whether it be Clutch/Slave/TOB/Diff/Shift Tower/whatever, I'll be replacing everything and adding an LSD. Not worth it to have it out and not futureproof it.

Thx guys. I'll probably do that.

I would pull it out and check it over. If the clutch looks OK, I would probably re-use it. Not because I like re-using parts or saving a few pennies, but because there are not many options for a better driving high performance clutch that lasts in this platform. You would be even more annoyed if you took out a perfectly good 3+ and replaced it with a new clutch that might fall apart in 5k miles. That's the reason I still have my old 3+ in my car, even though I don't need that much clutch (only ~220whp).

Thx also. I see what u're saying. And i was leaning in that direction. However, these clutchnet clutches are supposed to be better than spec's. So they'd better hold up as well!

My computer had a hard drive failure, but I first blamed my spec clutch LOL

But seriously, I'm glad it wasn't your clutch, what is your next guess?

Back