• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

another Spec Stage 3+ failure

Someone should send an e-mail to Spec showing them this series of events that has led to a huge decrease in their customer base :laugh:

I don't think spec cares about 6 contour owners :help:

actually I can't completely blame them either, but the sutomer service I received was not the best ...

I think we really set it off by Joey (Fordrule) and I calling him everyday for the last few weeks. It took a while for me to get a hold of him and when I did he said he'd call me back in about 30mins. It was 2 days days later and I was the one calling when I finally got to speak to him. I understand that he runs a business so I wasn't too worried about it. When I finally got to talk to him he was very helpful but it did take some persistence. The kit I was sent, had their Red PP, 6 puck and a TOB that looked a lot like a stock ford version, just FYI.

I wish you all the best of luck in getting it all set up and worked out.

I got my TOB from Tousley Ford - I think mine has been leaking as there is always a small amount of fluid on the bottom of the trans when I change oil, and it isn't MTX fluid.

I'm actually looking forward toa bit of a stiffer pedal feel and hopefully won't have the stupid SPEC clutch chatter when idling...

I'll step up and buy a pressure plate and disk as long as the driveability is decent and the disk doesn't glaze over. I don't see them being able to beat our 10% over cost new Ford TOBs, unless they had a way to test them and guarantee them to be good. Since they're a huge chore to replace if they end up being bad it might be worth a few extra dollars to have them tested.

Wow, just read through this whole thread. I have a spec stage 3 with similar grinding sound and engagement issues. Looks like I might be in the market for one of these clutches soon.
Can someone explain why the puck type grabs harder? I would have assumed that more surface area would give harder engagement.

Wow, just read through this whole thread. I have a spec stage 3 with similar grinding sound and engagement issues. Looks like I might be in the market for one of these clutches soon.
Can someone explain why the puck type grabs harder? I would have assumed that more surface area would give harder engagement.

It is about pressure distribution - more surface area the easier it is to slip as the force is on the entire surface. A 6 puck puts all the force on 6 places and creates a harsher engagement as the pressure is much higher.

I really don't want to pay for TOB either as Tousley is on the way home...

last email from clutchnet was that they where able to improve the clamping force on out pressure plate by 60%.

however they again recommended the 6 puck to me at this time. will call today and keep working on the full face clutch.

last email from clutchnet was that they where able to improve the clamping force on out pressure plate by 60%.

however they again recommended the 6 puck to me at this time. will call today and keep working on the full face clutch.

Thank you! :eek:

I can see why they would want us to get the 6-puck, but I won't be driving this car but maybe once a week, so I don't want something that is TOO grabby off the line, because i'll forget it does that, and end up getting a ticket for "exhibition of speed" :nonono:

Full face is perfered.

Thanks for the update - 60% is quite a bit, I'm happy with that. I'd rather have fully faced as I put >500 miles on my car a week...

ok I just spoke with clutchnet again. They got and tested the spec pressure plate. they are telling me that its a stock pressure plate. The stock plate and the spec plate had something like 560 lbs of force. the clutchnet pressure plate was 500 more.

as for the full face disk Oleg still believes that the 6 puck will be best. I asked about getting something like the spec made again and he noticed right away that the material was something they didn't use.

I ordered up a 6 puck and the pressure plate because I want my car back on the road. I might try to follow up some more about a full face clutch but for now I want my car back on the road and I'll deal with the driveability.

it was also recommend to me that I could go with an organic disk, that would provide the full face disk and better driveability.

I am opting for the 6 puck for two reasons. I want to know that the clutch will hold the power and I want my car back on the road this summer. I should have it by next weekend.

I just got an email from him and here is what it said:

Thank you for your interest in our products.
We just finished our new SVT pressure plate. It shows that the pressure had increased from the original 1306.70 lbs to 1781.90 lbs.
Price $225.00

We also can make a double diaphragm pressure plate with 2700lbs pressure. Price $295.00

Available clutch discs.
Organic lining with solid ($65.00) and sprung hub ($95.00) .
FiberTuff lining with solid and sprung hub. $135.00
Kevlar lining with solid and sprung hub. $145.00
Ceramic Button type discs, 3, 4, 6 button on each side with solid ( $80.00) or sprung hub $110.00

Any questions please call (626) 448-7432

So which one for a Turbo 3.0L?

Don

well previously my father suggested the kevlar clutch to me. but I do want to make sure the clutch can handle some track time if I ever choose to go. so I went with the red 6 puck disk.

well previously my father suggested the kevlar clutch to me. but I do want to make sure the clutch can handle some track time if I ever choose to go. so I went with the red 6 puck disk.

You had a SPEC 3+ and are going to the 6 puck, PLEASE let me know what you think. I am in the same boat and I'm wondering how the driveability will change.

You had a SPEC 3+ and are going to the 6 puck, PLEASE let me know what you think. I am in the same boat and I'm wondering how the driveability will change.

I will post my feedback. I was told 3 to 4 days to build and then ground shipping from CA to CT, should have it the second weekend in august.

I ordered mine yesterday and it shipped out the same day. He said many Contour people had called so he must have made some ahead of time.

It better hold my turbo taking a trans out and the turbo out again is no fun.

I ordered mine yesterday and it shipped out the same day. He said many Contour people had called so he must have made some ahead of time.

It better hold my turbo taking a trans out and the turbo out again is no fun.

What did you get? 6-puck or full face? What pressure
plate?

Back