• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

00 SVT will get mazda power...

I want to let everyone know to tune in @ 9pm tonight. There will be some very interesting picaroos.

as promised prepare tissue and lotion!

I only have time to post pics now but tomorrow I will elaborate on the superb mpv features.

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

Very cool... a few things I noticed...

-Same locations for the cam/crank sensors as the 2.5L
-Same UIM brackets as the ST220/SE Mondeo
-DMD
-Oil cooler like the SVT

Nice things about all this is it means less to mess around with when swapping the engine. Looks like the only thing you need to do is get rid of the EGR (or swap it out with the same type as used on the 2.5L and 3.0L Taurus engines) . If the intake clears the hood... you probably have one of the easiest 'drop in' 3L's possible.

If the intake clears the hood... you probably have one of the easiest 'drop in' 3L's possible.

Do you think the MPV UIM is about the same size as the later Escape UIM? If it turns out to be a little bit shorter then it would for sure clear.

Cruise cable length might be close though.

Very cool... a few things I noticed...

-Same locations for the cam/crank sensors as the 2.5L
-Same UIM brackets as the ST220/SE Mondeo
-DMD
-Oil cooler like the SVT

Nice things about all this is it means less to mess around with when swapping the engine. Looks like the only thing you need to do is get rid of the EGR (or swap it out with the same type as used on the 2.5L and 3.0L Taurus engines) . If the intake clears the hood... you probably have one of the easiest 'drop in' 3L's possible.

You are right about one thing... This engine is a DIRECT drop in.*

I took more pics but my photobucket was taking forever to load so I will do the rest later.

Looks like a 2.5L timing cover because IT IS.... 2001 COUGAR timing cover.
Factory DMD
Engine mount already placed between the heads.
SVT spec oil cooler
2001 Cougar alt bracket
No tabs to cut and there is NO pilot bushing on this engine.

FOR a full 3L there isnt much else you have to do. If the UIM clears the engine bay then an EGR VALVE integration looks to be much easier than the taurus one since its pointing toward the rear of the engine bay. A custom tube would be much easier to fab at this point.

For a portmatched swap you need to get the cranckcase vent box in the head valley yet. Obviously the engine mount doesnt come out without removing the head. I was thinking if the coolant tube coming out of the block can be cooled and removed then reinstalled.....

Similarities to the 04-05 taurus... pcv valvs is on the same location...

observations... comes with blue injectors returnless style, vacuum system has changed from brittle plastic tubes to rubber vac lines.

Are the cougar alternator setups like that easier to change out when the motor is in the car or? Why did they change that?

Why did who change it? Not sure if there is a time difference in changing the alt when the engine is installed but I can tell you this... no more side bolts... there are 3 bolts that are all mounted pointing to the engine.

One would have to cut and splice the 01 cougar alt pigtail.

From speaking to beans last night he said that with the cougar alt in place the stock rear manifold may not clear.... However I have not tested this yet since I dont have a cougar alt yet.

Also I believe the contour alt bracket may fit on there but then you would have to cut some tabs.

Why did Ford change the mounting of the alternator on the 01+ cougar, is what I was asking..... and the timing cover/tensioner?

Cougar 01+ people say it is mu-cho easier to change.

As for the Escape/mpv/01+ Coog Timing changes... Who knows.

I got the 01 alternator to fit with in my 99 cougar with stock manifolds. I did have to dremel about a 1/4 inch where a the bolt that holds the alternator casing is: remove the bolt dremel the aluminum casing, put the bolt back in and it will clear. It is a tight fit but after taking to a few people Terry and Dominic we didn't really see any heat issues because the manifold has a heat shield, and eventually the alternator will heat up by way of absorbing heat from the alt bracket bolted to the engine. Another reason to not worry about heat issues is because there is a fan inside the alternator to keep it cool. I can post a picture of this later when I get to the garage.

The 01-02 Cougar alternator is not only easier to change, but failure rate is lower with the redesign. My brother ordered a Zetec alternator on eBay and the guy ended up selling us an 01-02 Cougar alternator and we couldn't exchange it with him. I sold it on NECO but it took forever because everyone said they don't fail often. They all wanted to buy it until they knew it was for 01-02. Everyone wanted the older style.

the newer style, other then having a different mounting method has the voltage sensing wire removed. Its now interenal. This would be the same thing as the wiring mod that so many do.

I wonder how much work it would be for the intake manifold to fit on a 2.5. Bigger question is, where to find one.

Back