• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cougar vs contour

i've gotta say, the interior of a cougar, WAY nicer.

But I feel like the cougar is a girls car, if properly modified they look flipping sweet, but a stock one? a little too girlie for me.

I've driven both, liked them equally in handling and what not, considering they are the exactly same car from a technical stand point. But I like the look of an SVT contour better then a Cougar.

i've gotta say, the interior of a cougar, WAY nicer.

But I feel like the cougar is a girls car, if properly modified they look flipping sweet, but a stock one? a little too girlie for me.

I've driven both, liked them equally in handling and what not, considering they are the exactly same car from a technical stand point. But I like the look of an SVT contour better than a Cougar.

Get it right. Sheesh:rolleyes:

:laugh:

I'm sorry no one likes you. Must really suck coming on the internet to a car forum to start things with people to feel noticed.

I like the interior of my Cougar a lot. Things I dislike most about the Cougar are the sunroof and the terrible blind spots. It's a lot easier to see out my windows in the Contour than the Cougar. The 99-00 Cougar sunroofs had plastic tracks that pretty much all break. Finding a used one is pretty hard and new they go for $800+ at a discount.

I'm sorry no one likes you. Must really suck coming on the internet to a car forum to start things with people to feel noticed.

its funny because your the only one on here I have problems with, why can't you just get over yourself :shrug:

well OK I own both.

a 99 cougar I bought new
and
a 96 SE I picked up just recently.

I'm sorry hands down the interior of the cougar wins, while the design of the tour's interior isnt bad [like when compared to GM] its very bland at best.

the front seats in the cougar sit MUCH lower than the contours, I feel like I'm sitting in an SUV and it really bothers me.

as far as passenger vehicles go, contour wins out, drove into the city yesterday for a cubs game with 3 large rowdy friends with no complaints about space as we sat in gridlock traffic for 4 hours. That would have not been the case in the cougar... which depending on your stance might be a great thing [IE I wouldnt have had to be the one driving].

the contour just feels so much more utilitarian to drive around with... I strongly favor the cougar.

he's saying the cougar feels sportier,were the contour feels very plain and everyday. and he favors the sportier feeling cougar.

The cougar I test drove a while ago didn't seem to handle as nice as the tours I have. It felt heavy IMOH :shrug:

And you lost me.

well for a 4 door, 4 seater car its a small car, and while its quite compfy it feels like a small car. now when you take that same car and drop 2 of the doors and more or less make it a 2 seater, it feels quite expansive, albeit a bit bloated of a body for what it should be to truely be a sports car.

The cougar I test drove a while ago didn't seem to handle as nice as the tours I have. It felt heavy IMOH :shrug:

might have just been the condition/wear on the suspension. The cougar does compromise a bit on rigity with the larger doors, pushed back b-pillar and the lack of a rear brace with the hatchback. but I think it boils down to that the tour comes off as a much sportier car than it appears for a 4 door, and the cougar just doesnt have the extra "grunt" it should for playing up the sporty 2 door look.... but I think its all perception as they are nearly identical.

anything i could find on neco said that the 01-02's are heavier than the 99-00's. so maybe the fully loaded xr/zc models are closer to the svt in wieght.
man they must be slow...considering the svt w/30more hp isn't that fast.

someone once posted here..."what'd the difference between a stock cougar and a stock SVT Contour?"

the answer?

"about 5 car lengths" :laugh:

Back