• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cougar vs contour

95pgt-t

Hard-core CEG'er
i want to hear from people who've owned both. what one would you say has better "build quality" ? reason being i'm going to get a cougar and have heard both,the cougar build quality is poor,and i've heard its far better than the contour.

ehh, bought the same, they both have similar cup "holders".

They also have the updated LIM which you know yourself.

The car weighs about 100LBs more than svt's

THe dash does not get dash warp :shrug:

It is a 2 door :laugh:

Umm i can't think of anything else right now.

I really don't know much about the cougar. I've always wondered though. Is the cougars length or wheelbase any different?

so your saying a cougar wieghs in at 3150-3200lbs??
i'm assuming you mean fully loaded? i've always been under the impression a fully loaded cougar was about the same wieght as a svt.

Other than I feel like a homo driving one. Glad it was borrowed. I like them otherwise. My brother had an '01 that he drover from brand new to well over 100k. Just changed the DPFE once.

Other than I feel like a homo driving one. Glad it was borrowed. I like them otherwise. My brother had an '01 that he drover from brand new to well over 100k. Just changed the DPFE once.

I kinda thought the same about thinkin it was kind of a chick car. I still want to get one in black, thats the only color i would rock though. The silver is different than the silver frost iirc.

ehh, bought the same, they both have similar cup "holders".

Not if you got the base model 99-00 or any 01-02. :laugh:

I haven't owned both, but driven both. The Contour feels alot taller than the Cougar, whereas the Coug you really feel like you're in a "sporty" coupe. The dash layout on the Cougar's seems very nice as well (not saying the Contour is poor, I just prefer the Cougar one).

I do have to agree though about the Cougar's back seat, its pretty much useless. You have plenty of leg room, thats just fine. But even me at about 5'6", my head is still right against the roof (actually the upper part of the hatch).

According to Edmunds, the stock Cougar V6 weighs in at 2902 lbs., I'm not sure if thats with fluids though.

They're both good cars though, I will say that. In a couple years, if I ever decide to start a family, I will definitely be on the market for a nice SVT as a "family driver" and the Cougar as my weekend "toy" for myself.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compa...0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t1829&v=t91811&v=t1849
According to Carpoint, 2000 model year, manual trans-for-manual trans, the Coug is a little more than 100lbs heavier than the Contour Sport, but almost 250lbs lighter than the SVT. Most of the other specs are very close or the same. The interesting spec of the comparison... the Coug is 2" shorter.

Great site :)

Wow 2881 well that just destroyed that old conversation back in 2005 on ceg, where this type of convo took place. They said average was 3200lbs IIRC.

But then again i have heard the contour svt weighing between 2950-3200lbs.:shrug:

Svt catalog states 3126lbs :)

anything i could find on neco said that the 01-02's are heavier than the 99-00's. so maybe the fully loaded xr/zc models are closer to the svt in wieght.
man they must be slow...considering the svt w/30more hp isn't that fast.

anything i could find on neco said that the 01-02's are heavier than the 99-00's. so maybe the fully loaded xr/zc models are closer to the svt in wieght.
man they must be slow...considering the svt w/30more hp isn't that fast.

Hmm i wonder why, was it interior change?
More sound denting material etc?

Chris don't sell the svt for a cougar!!!

i think its a done deal harry:laugh:
well,the xr's had leather w/power seat(S)?,sunroof,heavy 17's w/ 1inch taller tires,hood scoop things like that

then you should feel like a old person for driving the svt :shrug: :laugh:

Back