• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

feeler: tubular control arms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will admit to several dumb stunts as of late that resulted in many a broken parts... The control arms held up like a champ where everything around them did not.
This is an important point when modding any vehicle. If you strengthen one part, you may need to beef up other attached parts because of the extra strain the first mod imparts on the others. Having said that, I'd rather beef up a part that I'd rather never have to change in the future and whose surrounding parts are much easier to replace or service. Therefore, I add my name to the list!
Karl

1. Sharkie17 (NECO/CEG) .........................2 bolts
2. ryanblacksvt 2 and possibly 4 (CEG)
3. xtascox (CEG) ....................................4bolts
4. Black 98 CSVT (CEG) ..........................4 bolts
5. Redlineracer12 (CEG) .........................2 bolts
6. CSVT#49 (CEG) .................................4 bolts
7. Schattastic SVT Maybe 4 bolt (CEG)
8. Beans 4 bolt if price is right (CEG)
9 Necronommicon (CEG) ........................4 bolts
10. skywalker Interested (CEG)
11. Matty K (CEG) .................................4 bolts
12. S.BOOGIE2468 (NECO)
13. Kpeeks (NECO) ................................2 bolts
14. cvsmightymouse24 (NECO)
15. Sportracer (CEG)
16. Project SVT (CEG) ..............................2 bolts
17. mattsBLK99cSVT (CEG)
18. Oberthecat (CEG)...............................2 bolts
19. S2Knott (CEG)
20. slicktsax (CEG)...................................2 bolts
21. Cougarguy (NECO) .............................4 bolts
22. Black 98 CSVT
23 98SVTC (CEG)....................................4 bolts

Woohoo!

Just got word from Mike that he is willing to do this!
I will find out for sure soon but he is going to do both 2 and 4 bolts.

I will keep you guys updated as soon as i find out more today.

Thanks guys!

rich

He said he needed to check the actual intrerest level. but if things look good he may make some of these arms. I have them installed on my cougar now for over a year i have no complaints and no alignment issues.

I'm interested, but first I have a few questions.

What material are they made of; mild steel? 4130 steel alloy?

Are the control arms annealed after working & welding?

What I.D. / O.D. tubing is used?

Are the rod ends threaded directly into the tubing? If so, what is used to prevent tube splitting/flaring?

What manufacturer rod end is used; FK? Aurora?

What do these weigh compared to the stock ones?

What is the cost for 5-10 buyers, 10-15 buyers, etc., etc.?

If these are good high quality pieces I'll want (2) sets, so please take the time to answer my questions.

Thanks, DT.

Thanks, DT.

DT, I said very basic questions as we were getting a GENERAL interest to approach the manufacturer about getting these back in production. So unfortunately I wouldnt expect quick answers to any of your questions.

they have all been answered before a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

So feel free to search on the topic of tubular control arms [or tubular LCAs] on the old CEG and over on NECO.

he is a competent fabricator and there have been a handfull of people thrashing on these parts for a few years now.

I think it all came down to lack of interest. Which is a shame because its a really good mod for the cougar(Contour i forgot where i was for a second). And unlike many of the other aftermarket control arms that were one offed these use easily obtainable parts...heim joints and stock cougar ball joints. Anyways other than lack of interest it would have requires a little more work to install the traction bars than the simple bolt up control arms. He built these parts for his own use and raced them on his own car. Ive been running them for some time and so have a few others. Their great stuff i hope he produces a few more sets.

Yeah, well, I need to overhaul my entire suspension but I can't wait too long: I'm coming due for safety inspection. Hopefully I can have everything in about a month.

Any update on these?

last status report was from the 15th

"Yes i havent heard anything from Mike either...however in the email he sent me he said he would get online here sometime in the near future to check the intereste out himself. I dont know if he has or what but he also hasnt responded to my last email...it takes him a while to get to his email i guess. He seemed buisy last time i talked to him. if i hear anything i will be sure to keep everyone posted."

I would be interested in some 2-bolt arms, especially if I knew they were going to include, high-quality, 3-piece rod ends with Teflon liners and some Seals-It washers to keep the environment out of the rod ends.
Seal-It.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sealsit.php

Gary M.

Last edited:
quote from stangkiller on NECO

Ok, folks. Time to get the ball rolling if you are all interested.

Sorry I have not been on for awhile. After I sold my car I was pretty depressed and more now knowing that is not on the road giving some a woody.

I did some checking and this is where the 2 bolts stand for the LCA's. I would need 10 people minimum to buy. The sets would run $400 a piece (sorry the steel prices have gone up). The lead time would be approximately 8 weeks. They would either be powder coated black or nothing. Same price either way. Because of the last time I tried to do something like this for the upgrade version, I would need 50% upfront and the rest before I would ship. I would let you know when they are completed and would possible shipped them with the remaining COD. This way I would not lose my butt on the deal.

If there is an interest in the harness bars also, please let me know. I will check this forum about twice a week. Please wait until you have at least 10 people lined up for sure before you all start asking to send me money also.

Hope this helps some people.

Thanks
Mike

quote from stangkiller on NECO

Ok, folks. Time to get the ball rolling if you are all interested.

Sorry I have not been on for awhile. After I sold my car I was pretty depressed and more now knowing that is not on the road giving some a woody.

I did some checking and this is where the 2 bolts stand for the LCA's. I would need 10 people minimum to buy. The sets would run $400 a piece (sorry the steel prices have gone up). The lead time would be approximately 8 weeks. They would either be powder coated black or nothing. Same price either way. Because of the last time I tried to do something like this for the upgrade version, I would need 50% upfront and the rest before I would ship. I would let you know when they are completed and would possible shipped them with the remaining COD. This way I would not lose my butt on the deal.

If there is an interest in the harness bars also, please let me know. I will check this forum about twice a week. Please wait until you have at least 10 people lined up for sure before you all start asking to send me money also.

Hope this helps some people.

Thanks
Mike

So what about the 4 bolt design????

Bump!

There is an official GB thread started by StangKiller (the one making these) on NECO.

This may be the last time these will ever be made.

If you are interested you can PM StangKiller on NECO I supposed if you don't want to register there you could email him

Linky

Edit: Still for 2 bolts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back