• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

DIY poly fill roll restrictor

Yay, I fixed mine up :laugh:

I took it off today just to get a better look at it, and the bolts were such a PITA to get off I had to do something with it before putting it back on...

The rubber was split on the top on one side, and it was obviously compressed down making it off center...

I had an old tire flower-pot sitting in my yard, so I simply cut rubber strips off it and forced them in around the center part of the RR... This did the job of re-centering it and adding a little rigidity... Then I stuck the 3M stuff in the split, although I do not know how full I filled the core of the mount, probably just the top, LOL... I finished it up by filling in the visible rings on each side... It looks pretty good, and should get the job done for a Zetec :crazy:

EDIT: Oh yea, what a mess I made with that stuff... I wore gloves, but somehow it ended up on my arm, and then I leaned oy arm against my pants not knowing the stuff was on it... Then for some reason I took the gloves off, and the stuff kept spreading all over my body, LOL... My hands still have some black spots where the skin grooves are really deap... I must have spent and hour cleaning up...

Last edited:
Question:

I finished filling it at 3:00PM yesterday... I am going to have to drive my car by 10:00AM tomorrow, so that is still 1.5 days of curing... But my question is, if I go outside and install it on my car (but do not drive it), will the cold temps effect the curing? I would put it on tomorrow, but we are supposed to get a rain/snow storm in the morning :nonono:

Also, this cures by being exposed to air and not by heat, right? If so, how do the internals harden since the outside is sealed :shrug:

Here are some pics of it just to show how it looks with the '95 mount...

CEGRR001.jpg

CEGRR002.jpg

LOL :laugh:

I will install it tomorrow morning and just take it easy when driving for the first couple days... Then all hell will break loose!!! Probably not though :crazy:

Yeah I still havent installed mine yet. I wish I could but I havet really had the time, plus I dont have the tools, thats what a buds house is for,lol

Well then, I guess I am the guinea-pig :rolleyes:

From what I read about this elsewhere it works pretty good, so we will see if it is the same for a Contique...

My buddy just picked up a Contour that needs a little work. I'm almost positive the motor/trans mount are toast. If so we'll be trying this and then if we are happy with the results, i'll do mine when I pull my trans.

HERE IS MY REVIEW :laugh:

NOTE: I drive a '95 Zetec... This rating is for fixing a broken mount and daily driving, NOT wheel hop and drag racing :crazy:

My overall rating is easily a 9/10

PROS:
  • Shifts are much smoother, especially downshifts...
  • The bucking I was expericencing has greatly decreased...
  • I can do 10MPH in second without having to clutch play to prevent the engine from choking/rocking...
  • My shifter is not moving all over the place whenever I give it/release the gas, LOL...
  • It was definatly worth paying $15 instead of $95 for a brand new one...
  • There is a low pitched tone made in the lower RPMS, I like it...
CONS:
  • You get a big vibration as the engine fires up when you start it...
  • There was a little vibration when the revs dropped below 1000, but it got better as I went through the day (it was nothing unbearable, I have been in autos which have had more of a vibration at idle, LOL)...

^^AWSOME man, I love it. See this was just what I was hoping for. I am hoping to install mine this weekend and I will get some vids after its done launching and see what it does for wheel hop ect...

I am not gonna read through all eight pages but this is a stupid way to attempt to make a poly mount.

All you need is a stock 98-00 mount and a 1lb can of whatever hardness poly you like and it's hardner. I went with 90A poly. You can buy the poly at mcmaster carr (mcmaster.com), they sell it for about $30 shipped to you.

1. Hollow out your mount using whatever method you like. I used a knife and carved the rubber out. I have heard of some people melting the rubber off with a torch.

2. Once you have cleared the mount of all rubber you make your own jig to hold the center metal post in place. It should sit in the middle of the mount. I used a whole lot of duct tape to seal one side of the mount and hold the center post in place.

3. Mix the two liquids that mcmaster carr sends you. They form into liquid polyurethane.

4. Pour into your stock mount. Hold the center post and make sure the liquid doesn't leak out of the bottom side of the mount.

5. It sets in five minutes, and you can leave it alone.

6. It fully cures in three days, remove tape reinstall and enjoy.

I am not gonna read through all eight pages but this is a stupid way to attempt to make a poly mount.

All you need is a stock 98-00 mount and a 1lb can of whatever hardness poly you like and it's hardner. I went with 90A poly. You can buy the poly at mcmaster carr (mcmaster.com), they sell it for about $30 shipped to you.

1. Hollow out your mount using whatever method you like. I used a knife and carved the rubber out. I have heard of some people melting the rubber off with a torch.

2. Once you have cleared the mount of all rubber you make your own jig to hold the center metal post in place. It should sit in the middle of the mount. I used a whole lot of duct tape to seal one side of the mount and hold the center post in place.

3. Mix the two liquids that mcmaster carr sends you. They form into liquid polyurethane.

4. Pour into your stock mount. Hold the center post and make sure the liquid doesn't leak out of the bottom side of the mount.

5. It sets in five minutes, and you can leave it alone.

6. It fully cures in three days, remove tape reinstall and enjoy.

Like I said ,this is an alternative to doing it that way. If you read it all you would have seen that:nonono:

Back