• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

DIY poly fill roll restrictor

Pole120 - don't you put your mounts into a fire or something to completely get rid of all the rubber mount material before filling them?

I've had that 94A urethane still in it's box since the first time I had talked to you about it back in... what... 04-05? I think I'm finally going to get around to doing it.

You know that stuff has an expiration date right??? I'm fairly sue it's useless by now, usually only has a few month shelf life.

I do not stick the mounts in a fire, I strip the mounts, then burn off just the center shaft by itself

I'm going to be doing mine this weekend... Just got my 94A poly and the car has to go under the knife for some exhaust work, so what better time?

I just got mine and it says expires 9/08. So yea, pretty short shelf life...

So, to those who plan on ordering, do it right before you plan to do the mounts! :)

3K Variable hardness.

3K Variable hardness.

Hi all,
I'm getting a sample of 3k Variable Hardness polyurethane systems from http://www.crosslinktech.com/ tomorrow. It's a 3-component system that allows you to make polyurethane of any hardness you like. Their tech told me that they are the only ones patenting this technology. You can also have it in any color you like. I've also picked up a few cores from a junkyard to experiment with. I'm planning on making 4 rear and 4 front roll resistors in various hardness to see which would be the best performing one in our application. I’m thinking of making them in 64A, 74A, 84A and 94A further more I will be trying various combinations of these with different hardness rear and front mounts. For example. 64A on the front 74A in the back etc. See which produce the best results (i.e. Reduced wheel hope to vibration ratio).
They offer this urethane wholesale for very reasonable price in 25-gallon pales. Well, if it works I plan on getting a few cores and making some for sale.
The route I’m going is: strip core of old rubber, sandblast, clean with alcohol of any remaining impurities, align center piece, secure it, sand box, fill, cure, clean, prime, paint. Pic’s to come.

You know that stuff has an expiration date right??? I'm fairly sue it's useless by now, usually only has a few month shelf life.

I do not stick the mounts in a fire, I strip the mounts, then burn off just the center shaft by itself

Oops... I should check that out. Probably right though.

I'm not sure about the repercussions of using "expired" urethane parts, but I had no issues with a 1 year old kit. The can and hardener are sealed pretty well. The mixture was just like the "fresh" kit I had used several years prior.

I'm not sure about the repercussions of using "expired" urethane parts, but I had no issues with a 1 year old kit. The can and hardener are sealed pretty well. The mixture was just like the "fresh" kit I had used several years prior.

I second that. From personal experience, no issues, providing containers were airtight. Worst that will happen it will crack under heavy load or chip out. I have a mount on my old GL that I used over 1.5 year old kit from energy. Still running strong no problems with it. That was 64A hardness compound.

Well, pulled my mounts yesterday night, started stripping them today. Got the front one almost done. Just a little rubber left on the center piece. Now I need to get the rubber out of the back one and start cleaning it up...

Any tips for getting the rubber out of the rear mount?

Well, pulled my mounts yesterday night, started stripping them today. Got the front one almost done. Just a little rubber left on the center piece. Now I need to get the rubber out of the back one and start cleaning it up...

FIRE!:laugh:

I used a hacksaw and a utility knife. Unfortunately I wasn't only removing the soft OEM rubber though.... I had to also cut out the 94a I had filled it with.

Ouch!

I got the front one pretty much completely ready to go... Hacksaw for the big stuff then utility knife to clean it up, then went to some coarse sand paper to clean it up some more... Gonna take the propane torch to it tomorrow to finalize it... :D

Then its off to the rear one...

Careful with cutting the rear one... it has "wings". The wings' purpose seems to be to stabilize it and keep it in place in the rubber. Since the front one has no such wings, the aluminum shaft can slide loose (which is what happened to mine). I don't think that's really an issue... but you may want to grind channels around it (like 1/4" wide x 1/8" deep... or so) to give the urethane something to hold on to.

Ok now for me to give a comparison on my poly fill and Pole120's.

Vader has my poly fill rear mount and a insert in the front, its great for daily driving, nvh is at a minimum but there is some stiffness that I wanted to gain. Its great if you are on a budget and want to a poly filled mount.

3l turbo has pole120 filled front and rear mounts, the nvh isnt all that bad imo, the stiffness is definitly there. If you have the money (which its not that expensive) have Pole120 fill them, night and day differance between my fill and Josh's.

Ok now for me to give a comparison on my poly fill and Pole120's.

Vader has my poly fill rear mount and a insert in the front, its great for daily driving, nvh is at a minimum but there is some stiffness that I wanted to gain. Its great if you are on a budget and want to a poly filled mount.

3l turbo has pole120 filled front and rear mounts, the nvh isnt all that bad imo, the stiffness is definitly there. If you have the money (which its not that expensive) have Pole120 fill them, night and day differance between my fill and Josh's.

Ha, I totally forgot the you bought Stazi's car with my mounts. Thanks for the side-by-side comparison Ryan. :)

No problem man, yeah your filled mounts are top notch man, even in the looks department, they look super clean and almost like a oem mount without holes in it. Mine was a bargan fill, it works but not as good as yours:cool:

I checked and it doesn't say anything about expiring... only to store it at 60-90degF... which I didn't as it was in my garage over the winters. Oh well I'm still going to try and use it. I think I'm going to go to a junk yard and pull one from there though so I don't destroy the only one I got. I think I'm only going to do the rear... unless the consensus is to do both. Although I would think the NVH would be pretty bad.

I haven't tried only doing the rear one, but on the old forums... I thought it was said that the front needs to also be done to even out the load or else the front one will get abused/trashed.

I haven't tried only doing the rear one, but on the old forums... I thought it was said that the front needs to also be done to even out the load or else the front one will get abused/trashed.

I haven't heard of that but if you think about it, it makes sense...

That being said, my 94A filled mounts go on in the next couple days... :D

this is gonna sound stupid but josh you know if your mounts are in my car? I know it has them just not sure if they are yours. car was jeff's, alex's and marcs, and some other guy forgot who

Back