• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tip121/122

Con2er

CEG'er
I have searched the forums and could not come up with a clear cut answer so here goes. I have recently replaced the transistor in my IMRC. I called around to a bunch of different places and no one seemed to have the TIP 121. So I was told by someone that the TIP 122 was similiar in every way except it had a higher tolerance so the question is this. Is the TIP 122 a suitable sub for the TIP121. I have a link to the data sheets if anyone can make an educated guess.

http://www.qsl.net/on7pc/datasheet/transistors/TIP122-127.pdf

TIP 120 didn't work for me. Here's a post of mine from a few months ago detailing my experience with this.

I haven't had any problems since installing the NTE261 (TIP122).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Good to know. I installed the 122 and it worked immediately then stoped working later. I was a bit confused. Closer inspection showed that the transistor did in fact fix the problem but now the linkage connecting the forward bank to the rear fell out on the rear side. So I need to fix that now. When it rains it pours I guess.
My wifes car started over heating because the raditor fan siezed. I got the replacement and when I got the old one out the connector was completly fried. So I am waiting for that now, hopefully Pep boys ordered the right part.

Back