• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best 3L exhaust combo w/ headers.

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
ok so im doing the 3L next week, and ive got headers.

im looking for something to do with the resonator and mufflers, i do not want to do cat back, and im not looking to spend alot.

maybe magnaflow in place of the resonator? or a glass pack?

or striaght pipe the resonator?

ebay cheapo mufflers in the rear? (ive heard one on a lancer and it sounds good $20 stainless steel)so give me some recommendations

Use a magnaflow straight thru round 6" in place of the resonator and something similar for the two rear mufflers. Before I went Turbo I bought magnaflow race series rounds for the rear. I have heard them on another CEGers car with 3L and headers. VERY NICE! His car did have a cat and 2.5" SS piping as well. You should be able to get close with the above mentioned setup.

www.justmagnaflow.com

Use a magnaflow straight thru round 6" in place of the resonator and something similar for the two rear mufflers. Before I went Turbo I bought magnaflow race series rounds for the rear. I have heard them on another CEGers car with 3L and headers. VERY NICE! His car did have a cat and 2.5" SS piping as well. You should be able to get close with the above mentioned setup.

www.justmagnaflow.com

In this order.

Dynomax Ultraflow
Magnaflow "straight through"
Any other "straight through"

NEVER Flowmaster!!! (BLOW MASTER SUCKS!)

3 resonators??? mother of god.... are you serious?
Not I.

One resonator if not running any form of catalytic converter. Period.

...otherwise...

A V6 Needs either 1 resonator and 2 aft mufflers or 1 large muffler with none to what-ever mufflers after it.

i will NOT install the test pipe so i will have a stock 3rd cat. stock resonator and no rear mufflers for the time being. then ill think about getting a different resonator or if i cant sell the test pipe ill install it.

i will NOT install the test pipe so i will have a stock 3rd cat. stock resonator and no rear mufflers for the time being. then ill think about getting a different resonator or if i cant sell the test pipe ill install it.
The OEM resonator kills any aftermarket exhaust. If stock exhaust then your gains will suck badly anyway!!!
Get either a decent mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust or suffer power losses from your choice...

Last edited:
After my 3L build I just welded up a flex pipe and test pipe to replace the cat, I run one 22" magnaflow res. and two 18" magnaflow res before each tip. The sound is pretty aggressive and loud. If you want to be noticed do that, if not get an aftermarket cat.

Use a large straight through design magnaflow muffler, and buy the tips I have to put in place of the mufflers.

Back