• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pro's And Con's: Contour SVT Vs. Honda Prelude Type S

i hate to be the one to say it but most young kids, notice i said most.
will just destroy an svt and it will end up in the salvage yard.
so again i say go for the prelude:laugh:

Haha, Im not reckless, as I've had my share of fender benders and car accidents. Only 4, but they taught me a lesson. All in the Contour, too, and it still looks like it was just driven off the lot not too long ago. The time I spent with the Contour just made me appreciate it even more, so I know my limits with the car that I love to baby with and I've learned not to be reckless. Cause in the end, its just too much money out of my pocket. I've probably had about $4000 in repairs done already, and I've had it for 2 years.

And what I love about this Contour, is that it has low mileage for being 7 years old now. It only has 78,___ some and Im not too terribly worried about it letting me down anytime soon.

You are 17 and have had 4 fender benders!!! :shocked:

Please don't drive anywhere near me!

and and please don't get into any car too fast. You will kill yourself or someone else.

:nonono:

:laugh:

You are 17 and have had 4 fender benders!!! :shocked:

Please don't drive anywhere near me!

and and please don't get into any car too fast. You will kill yourself or someone else.

:nonono:

:laugh:

Only one really was taken into my fault. I was driving too fast for a dirt road, after having my license for only 2 months, and lost traction, and overcorrected the slide 3 times and ran off the road. I was dumb and didn't exactly know what to do. The other times, were the other person's fault. The second one, was when I left with a friend to go to a store and left my car in the parking lot, and someone just scraped and bent in my rear fender in and just, ran and didn't do anything about it. The third one was when I was crossing through to the median in dead traffic when the guy let an opening in for me, and when I crossed to the second lane almost to the median intersection, the guy let off his brake and bent in my fender at idle speed in this HUGE Toyota Tundra. His excuse, "I didn't see you, and the weather is bad." After he CLEARLY made eye contact with me and left me an opening. And the fourth one was when this guy made an illegal backing when he pulled into a drive way and pulled straight out to turn around and hit my right rear. So really, only one can be taken into my account of being at fault. But either way..it sucked

You need to move! Even in MA the drivers are crazy insane (especially Boston rush hour) but I have been driving 7 years with no incidents. Knock on wood.

My friends turbo del sol was stolen out in the city, he woke up and it was gone, and one of my other friends has a 1998 championship white integra type r and hes scared @#$% that its also going to be stolen

yeah, I had an Accord for years without any issues. Got a Civic and only had it for 6 weeks before it was stolen and never found. I was pissed, it was all stock and nothing special. So I went out and found another just like it. Got it home and pulled the seats and ECU so it wasn't going anywhere unless on a tow truck. Few days later I took it in to get an alarm and everything. I later put in a rear interior from Japan, Del Sol seats, 02 Si rims, etc. Can't tell you how many times my alarm went off at my old apartment because of people messing with it. It gets old quick!

dude if you are afraid of messing up a nice car just get a SE Sport with an MTX and youre set. it has the stiffer suspension (than SE) , the v6 similar to the SVT the same good looks (minus the bad a$$ body kit) but for drivability it is very similar. i just put in a 3L in mine and wouldnt trade it for the world! i wanted and SVT for a long time... still do but the look on someones face when they see my car fly past is priceless! youve never seen honda boy drop their mouths faster than when they get beat by a contour let alone a non-svt. just tint the windows, some nice wheels, svt exhaust, a stereo and save up for a 3L swap and you have one sweet, unique car that if you mess up a little bit has parts in any junkyard real cheep! even in kansas! i think ive had more fun surprising people with my 99 SE sport than i ever would with any super fast sportscar. it just doesnt get old.

Haha, Im not reckless, as I've had my share of fender benders and car accidents. Only 4........

I'd go with the SVT. I agree with exclusivity being a big thing to me. I was deciding between the same two cars when i was looking for a car, and when it came down to it the insurance was cheaper on the SVT. Yes your insurance quote goes up when you put "SVT" as the sub-model, but nothing like putting "prelude" in there. and by the looks of your age and 4 fender benders you're gonna need every bit of savings as you can get.

He has an ATX, so modding it is pretty pointless.

Do you ever say anything positive? Oh, you must be a "realist"....

How is it pointless to mod an ATX? Sure you won't get the performance of a good driver on a manual, but you can gain performance regardless of transmission type.

My person vote is for the svt because, well, I find the preludes of the more recent years before they were discontinued to be horrendously ugly. :)

and by the looks of your age and 4 fender benders you're gonna need every bit of savings as you can get.

Actually, my insurance now is only $84 a month, including 2 tickets. Took the class for one, but got a 4 pointer later on my license, and its still at $84 a month

Actually, my insurance now is only $84 a month, including 2 tickets. Took the class for one, but got a 4 pointer later on my license, and its still at $84 a month

I suggest you get the prelude... that way if you wrap a car around a tree, it won't be one less svt contour :cool:

Im a responsible driver at my age, and I know what I can and cant do. When it comes to "racing" or gunning it or whatever, I know my limits. All of you might ridicule me, most likely because of how old I am, as compared to everyone else, and to how much experience I have compared to everyone else. Its fine. But the only racing I'll be doing, would be taking it to the track. Once I get the SVT, I wont be doing anything big till probably after a year of having it. I want to start slow and study the car and everything about how it performs. The SVT is a car that I know everyone who has one, absolutely cherrishes and takes great care of, as would I. I mean, how many total were made from 98 to 00? Not really that much. And I would LOVE to have the title of being an owner of an SVT. That would be a car that I would call my baby, and never break or tear it apart, cause I sure hate spending money on things that could totally be avoided.

Im a responsible driver at my age, and I know what I can and cant do. When it comes to "racing" or gunning it or whatever, I know my limits. All of you might ridicule me, most likely because of how old I am, as compared to everyone else, and to how much experience I have compared to everyone else. Its fine. But the only racing I'll be doing, would be taking it to the track. Once I get the SVT, I wont be doing anything big till probably after a year of having it. I want to start slow and study the car and everything about how it performs. The SVT is a car that I know everyone who has one, absolutely cherrishes and takes great care of, as would I. I mean, how many total were made from 98 to 00? Not really that much. And I would LOVE to have the title of being an owner of an SVT. That would be a car that I would call my baby, and never break or tear it apart, cause I sure hate spending money on things that could totally be avoided.

Follow thru on that, and you've got my vote then.

Back