• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pro's And Con's: Contour SVT Vs. Honda Prelude Type S

EDIT: I see your car is an ATX. If I were you and looking to have fun, I'd get something manual and go nuts.

I meant, fun as in doing a few mods here and there on the ATX. A little faster and a leaner aggressive look. You know, just to be like, haha..the SVT is gonna be great. Nothing too big, I mean, its an ATX, I know.

its understandable u want a car that a lotta people recognize, especially those in ur age group being 17 n all. But truth is, most kids around ur age won't have the money to install turbos n stuff on their hondas. getting an svt contour with decent suspension mods will put u above them all when it comes to hitting those corners. exclusivity is VERY important to me, thats why i drive a csvt. i don't like to pull up to a light and find two or more of my cars around me sitting at the light. If u do end up with a csvt, my advice is be ready to take a few sarcastic remarks about it. if u can handle the bit of ridicule, then challenge them to a full track contest n watch the quirky smiles n grins wipe right off their faces ;). priceless i tell ya... priceless

It sounds like you want an SVT. Before my SVT I had a V6 ATX and I didn't waste a penny modding its performance or looks, and I'm glad. The only things I did were keyless entry and a stereo, both of which I pulled easily before I sold it, and both of which can go into my SVT.

Out of the two choices, I'd go SVT. Looks better (subjective) and is far more well rounded. I knew someone who has a Prelude and he apologized that he could never drive us around because the back seat was less than useless.
The Honda probably has the Ford beat in reliability and certainly mods, but otherwise the SVT is a nicer vehicle.

If you like your current Contour, I'd go with the SVT. (beware though if you *love* your current car, you should keep it too!) If you don't, then it is probably time to look at other cars.

im biased as hell since i owned a couple of honda's before the svt, but i would say go for the prelude. the car already has a 2.2L inline four that has just as much horse power as an svt. the car is also lighter than the svt and also handles a lot better out of the box. the aftermarket is bigger and makin it go fast is a hell of a lot cheaper than makin an svt go fast. the engine bay is also a dream since there is so much room to work with as opposed to the cramped engine bay of an svt.
one of the problems with the prelude is that it is a honda and is prone to being stolen. breaking into hondas is easy as hell and are stolen almost daily here in SD. contours on the other hand are completely ignored by thieves.
if you want something that will go fast with cheap mods, go for the prelude. if you want something unique, go for the svt and become obsessed with the car like me and many of the other members of this forum.

ps. if you do choose a prelude, take a regular vtec lude cuz the only difference between the base model and the type-s is the transmission.

im biased as hell since i owned a couple of honda's before the svt, but i would say go for the prelude. the car already has a 2.2L inline four that has just as much horse power as an svt. the car is also lighter than the svt and also handles a lot better out of the box. the aftermarket is bigger and makin it go fast is a hell of a lot cheaper than makin an svt go fast. the engine bay is also a dream since there is so much room to work with as opposed to the cramped engine bay of an svt.
one of the problems with the prelude is that it is a honda and is prone to being stolen. breaking into hondas is easy as hell and are stolen almost daily here in SD. contours on the other hand are completely ignored by thieves.
if you want something that will go fast with cheap mods, go for the prelude. if you want something unique, go for the svt and become obsessed with the car like me and many of the other members of this forum.

ps. if you do choose a prelude, take a regular vtec lude cuz the only difference between the base model and the type-s is the transmission.

really!!!? a stock honda prelude handles better than an svt? that doesnt sound right to me. oh, the honda does not have as much hp than an svt bro. everything else is true all the way. the hondas do get jacked all the time.

Last edited:
the honda does not have as much hp than an svt bro.

the h22 in 3rd gen preludes produces 200hp and 156lbs torque, maybe i did exaggerate a bit about the handling, but that car does handle really well, and you dont have to be a boy/ricer to own a prelude, you could be a boy/ricer with an svt too. a car doesnt make a person a ricer, your either born a ricer or an enthusiast:laugh:

they only sound like that during the ricer flyby:laugh:

That's better.

In all honesty, it's hard to be taken seriously in a Honda. Even though they do have a lot of potential and a great aftermarket, most car enthusiasts will look at it as a ricer.

Although with the SVT they'll either know what it is or think it's a grandma car...

I actually was torn between these same two cars about 4 years ago. I am glad I chose the SVT because:

1. It's nice to have enough room to take my whole family and luggage away for a week and fit comfortably.
2. I like the exclusivity of having a "rare" car.
3. I liked having room to fit a system in the trunk, and still have room for luggage.
4. I love the way the SVT handles. Not saying a Prelude won't, but few expect a Contour to handle curves like the SVT will.
5. I met a lot of great people on CEG. Many kids that own a Prelude have just watched Fast and the Furious too many times and think they are race car drivers.
6. I still love to come out of my house and see my sexy looking, tropic green beauty sitting in my driveway.

Those are just my personal feelings, since you asked for an opinion.

well, you gotta look at this...

you posted this on a Contour forum, there is no doubt the answers you are going to get. Now go ask this on a Honda or Prelude forum and you'll see the same thing but obviously the opinion would be the Prelude.

Me personally, I have had a few Honda's. I LOVE Honda. Nothing wrong with them. Sure there are a lot ricers with Honda's but I think that because of how popular Honda is. You get in with a good group and it's nowhere near all that ricer/FF stuff, thats just stereotyping.

I know in my area I see a whole heck of a lot more contours then I do Preludes, regardless of model. The Type S isn't all that common either. The Prelude doesn't handle all that bad, the Type SH is supposed to handle quite well iirc. Not saying it's better or worse than the SVT I am just saying...

Both the SVT and Type S are nice cars. I feel the Prelude has more aftermarket support than the SVT, but lets face it, you dont buy an SVT because of it's aftermarket support.

This statement sums up my exact feelings...
The SVT Contour does everything well but nothing great. It is a perfect all around car.
Thats mostly why I chose the SVT as my next car, plus I've liked these cars since high school. I was looking for a car that I liked in stock trim and didn't require much. I'm also not a straight line type of person, I like turns. I don't really have any major plans for the SVT because I like it just the way it is. Will that change, maybe, but this is exactly what I was looking for. I was also tired of being always worried about theft, I think and hope the SVT wont be like that.

I think it comes down to one thing, personal preference.

If you want the SVT get it, if you want the Type S get it. You wont be disappointed with either choice.

Buy an SVT because American car guys are always more interesting (and friendlier, I find) than foreign car guys. :cool:

Also, I could make more torque pissing into a pinwheel than those Honda fours before VTEC gets on the cam. They're just gutless down low. The SVT powerplant is no Ford 427, but it's never frustrating in the low end the way Hondas are.

the smaller 1.5-1.8 4cyl Honda's don't have much torque (because they are usually in a 2000lb car) but the 2.2-2.3 4cyl's aren't too bad (cause they were meant for the heavier Preludes and Accords).

i hate to be the one to say it but most young kids, notice i said most.
will just destroy an svt and it will end up in the salvage yard.
so again i say go for the prelude:laugh:

I was also tired of being always worried about theft, I think and hope the SVT wont be like that.

quote] My friends turbo del sol was stolen out in the city, he woke up and it was gone, and one of my other friends has a 1998 championship white integra type r and hes scared @#$% that its also going to be stolen

Last edited:
Back