• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pro's And Con's: Contour SVT Vs. Honda Prelude Type S

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
So, I've been a fan of the SVT for quite a while. Its just, an amazing car. Stunning to look at, and elegant, with a fierce bite behind the wheel. I've been looking into buying one for quite some time now, and have just been taking my time to see what I like and doing some research. But, now its come down to a few issues, and I'm thinking of going for the Type S Prelude, which I've also been a fan for quite a while as well. I was wondering, on your experience, whether personal or third person, which do you think is better and why?

Just a little something I was thinking about

thats what i was thinking
but there is a really large aftermarket for the prelude

Thats exactly what I have been taking into mind. The SVT, sure its amazing and all, but for parts, its either hard to find, or really expensive, and there aren't as many choices to go with as compared to the aftermarket parts for a Prelude

What is hard to find on a Contour? Give me any part and I can find it for you. Someone on CEG always has a part or who does.

Well, if you having access to a bunch of parts, thats awesome. But its just, I've been thinking a lot about the SVT as a whole and all. Like, there's only so much power you can get from an SVT, right? Or at least, thats what I've been hearing. And I know that the SVT isn't a straight line car and shines in cornering and what not, but I want a car thats also a straight line car. I mean, I've been hearing how the SVT cant break out of the 12's and what not, you know?

If you want a car that is a straight line car, look for AWD or RWD, you're looking in the totally wrong direction if you want something fast in a straight line.

Well, if you having access to a bunch of parts, thats awesome. But its just, I've been thinking a lot about the SVT as a whole and all. Like, there's only so much power you can get from an SVT, right? Or at least, thats what I've been hearing. And I know that the SVT isn't a straight line car and shines in cornering and what not, but I want a car thats also a straight line car. I mean, I've been hearing how the SVT cant break out of the 12's and what not, you know?

How easy/inexpensive is it to break 12's in the prelude???

I'd take 2 more cylinders, a nautilus turbo, some mods, 13's, 4 doors, uniqueness, and inexpensive american parts anyday

I'd take 2 more cylinders, a nautilus turbo, some mods, 13's, 4 doors, uniqueness, and inexpensive american parts anyday

See, thats what I LOVE about the SVT. Its unique. AND different. IDK, maybe Im just going for the wrong direction in what I want in a car. I think Im just overlooking the passion I have for the SVT and going for the "greed of speed", you know?

Are you planning to run 11's in the Prelude? Neither of the cars are drag race cars. If that is your primary focus you need something RWD or AWD, not FWD.

The SVT Contour does everything well but nothing great. It is a perfect all around car. The Prelude has 4 seats but only two doors. That in itself to me is a huge comprimise. I would much rather have a Civic SI over the Prelude.

Good points. I might as well change the topic to "WHAT CAN YOU'S FOR AN ATX SE?"

So..what could I do? If anything worth at all. I want to get an SVT, but of course, me being 17, I think I wanna focus on school a bit and finding another job. The SVT can wait for a bit, but I also want to have fun with my 00 SE.

I mean if you want something fast in a straight line there are a bunch of cars out there, if you wanna stay in the Ford family, the Mustang, but as was stated the SVT is a unique car that is good all around. I'm gonna assume your car is a manual, if you want to have some fun with it, I'd go with suspension mods, it's cool to beat someone in a straight line, but taking them in corners to me is way more enjoyable.

EDIT: I see your car is an ATX. If I were you and looking to have fun, I'd get something manual and go nuts.

Last edited:
Umm you're 17?! You might get some seat time before looking for a car that will run 12's!!!!!!! I didn't have a pot to piss in at that age and was happy with 4 wheels.

Umm you're 17?! You might get some seat time before looking for a car that will run 12's!!!!!!! I didn't have a pot to piss in at that age and was happy with 4 wheels.

Haha, being able to run 12's is just something I want to look forward to after I've had a few runs with the [car] and have the car. Not right now, no. I dont wanna kill myself. Too much of that happening in this town as it is. I just want to take my time with a build, you know? And besides, I'll be 18 in January. :laugh:

yeah deffintly get the SVT. the thing i like most about it is its unique. you`ll find that almost everybody likes these cars and apricates them beacuse of their exclusivity. FWD sucks for straight line speed. dosent matter what car youve got. If you wanna go fast get a mustang or vette. The contour is a well balenced machine that gives you a little bit of everything. SVT would be my pick hands down over any prelude.

Back