• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What are my options for inspection? (MA)

and if you don't go back to the same station, you have to pay the $29 again.
the free re-test only applies if you go to the station that did the initial test.

Sure, but the $29 is worth it if you can get somebody who is going to pass it and not nickel and dime you.

Years ago, I went somewhere new and got failed for not having a front plate. Never been back to that place.

exactly!
thats why i always go to the same garage.
sure i used to work there, but they are very reasonable to everybody.

just found out something interesting from a friend of mine. The new inspection also has a small camera hooked up to the system, they will walk around the vehicle and scan the car. If it cannot read a front plate..FAIL. If the plate is faided(like sand basted from winter salt) FAIL and you have to get a new set of plates. If you have drak tint they won't let you go the system wont let it pass. If they find rust or any major damage they have to fail it becuase the car is now on video file with the state. He went to get his car inspected yesterday and they couldn't do it the state guy was in the shop installing the new system and they guy was telling him about it.

wtf??

So Ian's car has been deemed undrivable because of the rust on his rocker and an exhaust with a deeper tone that the guy was used to? That's craziness. The rust doesn't effect the structural integrity of the car to any sort of measurable degree, and the exhaust was failed simply by opinion. Real professionalsim there, huh?:nonono:

Is it the rust a rust hole? If it is any hole that leads into the passenger compartment is a fail no matter what size, that has been that way in this state anyway forever. That means rockers, doors, floors, firewall, etc. , in the old days you could throw some metal tape over it and spray paint it and they would let it go but now they want metal.

well that stinks for tint!
up until now the shop just ignores the tint.
looks like i will be tearing it off the SVT if i dont sell it before its due for inspection!

Is it the rust a rust hole? If it is any hole that leads into the passenger compartment is a fail no matter what size, that has been that way in this state anyway forever. That means rockers, doors, floors, firewall, etc. , in the old days you could throw some metal tape over it and spray paint it and they would let it go but now they want metal.

Ya, it's a small-ish hole. But the thing that really gets me is IIRX, there's still actual rocker there, it's just the cosmetic face panel that's gone. There;s no hole that makes is into the passenger compartment:nonono:

Any plan yet, Ian?

The rust is rearing it's ugly head. The paint on the door sill is bubbling a tad. But, yes, the only part completely affected thus far is the COSMETIC portion of the rocker panel. While I don't want to risk the structural integrity, it was up on a lift not two months ago at the mechanic's shop...:shrug:

The rust is rearing it's ugly head. The paint on the door sill is bubbling a tad. But, yes, the only part completely affected thus far is the COSMETIC portion of the rocker panel. While I don't want to risk the structural integrity, it was up on a lift not two months ago at the mechanic's shop...:shrug:

Grad some sanding discs, a grinder, some bondo, and sheet metal before you come to my house. I'll see if we can fix it. I've got a few working MIG welders at my disposal as is, and a couple of friends to help out of need be. We'll make sure this car passes. Should only be a 2, 2.5 HR fix:cool:

It's more complicated than you think. It will require much cutting out of the existing rocker panel and much spraying of rust-converter paint and much welding of aluminum plating to the rocker panel area. Then it will get sprayed black, and I shall hopefully be discussing a black sideskirt to throw on.

Ya, it's a small-ish hole. But the thing that really gets me is IIRX, there's still actual rocker there, it's just the cosmetic face panel that's gone. There;s no hole that makes is into the passenger compartment:nonono:

Any plan yet, Ian?

If I'm picturing this right I'm thinking what you are saying is that the outer part of the rocker has the hole but if you look inside or stick your finger in it you can touch the inner part of the body(rocker). That is still a hole or breach in the shell of the body, if the inspector can stick his fingers or hand through the body of the car minus the front fenders or a pickup bed just has long has either isn't flapping or a hazard, they fail you like it or not. a quick patch should make them happy.

That hole isn't "smallish."

DSC02296.jpg

ohh man that will fail you for sure, I'm not sure of to many places that would let that slide.

I never said it was smallish. At least half of the rocker panel will need to be cut out.
Oh, I know that. But why would I even attempt to weld aluminum to steel?

I'd clean and cut everything out, make a patch big enough to cover the hole from 14-gauge steel, and weld it in. Then I'd paint it what you'd like with whatever paint you wanted, grab one of your moobs (for the domination factor), and send you on your way:cool:

BTW, Matt was talking to me when he said it was big. I said it was smallish since I've seen and fixed MUCH worse. I patched a hole on the bedside of my friend's 86 Ranger that was much bigger than that. I've seen some bad swiss cheese before; and this is nothing, brother :cool:

Last edited:
I would suggest going to a junk jard and have them cut off the rocker you need from a donor car. That way the body lines will match up for proper welding it into place.

My smart a** answer would to just move out of that god forsaken communist state to a state that is more reasonable about inspections.

I would suggest going to a junk jard and have them cut off the rocker you need from a donor car. That way the body lines will match up for proper welding it into place.
We talked about that, but the rocker is more integrated than it seems. It's require a lot of cutting and stuff. The way this car is designed is so weird...all the body panels inter-connect and are HUGE. The front quarter panel connects the the upper trim along the roof then down to the rear quarter panel, and then you can follow that line all the way down to the rocker panel. It's all one freaking piece!

Regardless, it is time to stop whining, and to suck it up and get it done right. The reason I said aluminum is because Greg said it is readily available for roofing purposes, so it won't be very expensive. Greg wouldn't suggest that if he couldn't weld it, and I don't doubt his welding skills :cool:. I will make sure to take pics when we decide to do this. I've gotta get in communication with Greg to get this done.

that is the definition of a uni-body.
there is no frame so basically the main part of the car is all one piece.

as stated above, the proper way is to cut it out and weld in a patch panel, fill and paint
but you could also just cut out the rust rivet a new piece of metal over it, fill and paint.
and lastly, you could cut out the rust, fiberglass, fill and paint.

if Greg was talking about using aluminum, then he must be going the rivet method, since you can't weld aluminum to steel.

the method you choose really depends on how quick and easy you want to make the repair, and whether or not you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Greg wouldn't suggest that if he couldn't weld it, and I don't doubt his welding skills :cool:.
My point was that aluminum is impossible to weld with steel. There are supposed "methods" to do so, but to my knowledge; they're all myths. He would be riveting, like Matt said, but the thig is that you'd better be getting skirts, cause it wouldn't be pretty.:laugh:

And BTW, you do know the rocker is steel, right? It wouldn't be rusting if it was aluminum:laugh:

Back