• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heater Core issue?

Oh Crap, Check this out...

Oh Crap, Check this out...

Ok, Its torn apart....... the impellar is metal! The new (refurbished) one has a plastic inpellar. Should I take the metal one off? Does it come off?
Should I use the given gasket with the new pump? shoudl I use silicone??

Done!!!!!!!!!

Done!!!!!!!!!

Well I didnt get any answers to the last post so I didnt use any sealant with the gasket. Everything went together pretty well, few scraped knuckles, sore back from leaning over the engine compartment. Since I didnt have a tool to hold the crank shaft pulley, I used that serp belt!! Worked great!!
While I was looking through the FAQ's, I saw that someone actually said they could change the water pump on the side of the road with a few tools.... I can't see it!!
The easiest part of this little venture I would have to say was backing the car into the garage. The worst part was removing and re-attaching the hose that was connected to the pump. Sheeeesh did that suck! Waterpump was $45.00, timing belt was $25.00, and the kit with the rollers was $55.00. Oh yeah, and $9.00 for the thermostat, that I forgot to install!
Anyway, I do appreciate the help guys. Thanks... Saved me about $1400.

By the way, It seems to run fine except for what sounds like a marble in a coffee can under the hood. I have had that sound since it was 10k old. (it has 85k now), other than that no issues with timing or anything.

Does it sound right that the temp guage shows that its pretty hot? The needle points directly at the 'L' on the 'NORMAL' range. It used to sit between the "A" and the "L". Does it sound right for the 2.0 Z-tech?

All I need to do now is tie rod ends, sway bar links and an alignment and it should be good for another 85k miles. Unless I sell it first I guess.

I would like to know if anyone elses tour runs this hot though.

I'd guess the t-stat you didn't install would be the next plan. Would have been the 1st thing I tried.

I'd guess the t-stat you didn't install would be the next plan. Would have been the 1st thing I tried.
On the Zetecs i would replace the temp sending unit first. they are known to be overly sensitive or just stop working. very common for the zetec. its on the underside of the thermostat housing so you might as well replace them both at the same time.

Back