• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My turbo 3L hybrid build

so there is no better set up than what we are already running? I was thinking about placing the BOV before the turbo and then routing the air into the intake after the MAF.

I have read a few forums that say putting before the intercooler will help prolong the life of the turbo and build bigger boost through the BOV making it way louder. i dont know thought thats why I am asking.

If you want a louder BOV, get a different one. You are just making things much more difficult for yourself by trying to change everything around.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell - get it, read it, understand it. yes some of the items are alittle outdated now but its still a good read.

if you want a louder bov, get a different bov as noted.

you can't place the bov before the turbo, that defeats its purpose.

I have read a few forums that say putting before the intercooler will help prolong the life of the turbo and build bigger boost through the BOV making it way louder. i dont know thought thats why I am asking.

BOV (unless it doesnt seal properly) will have no impact on building boost. Routing the BOV back into the intake, after the MAF, BEFORE the turbo can help improve (decrease) spool time between shifts.

Ya the bov will be recirculated back in before the turbo . I have just read that sometimes the bov is placed before the intercooler. But from the sounds of these comments, I should not do that.

There may some situations, depending on the vehicle and turbo system, where that would be ideal, but for this application (and in general), the closer to the TB the better.

Bov needs to be run of the intake mani piping after tb which would be your cold side pipe to the ic.. Also it should slightly release preasure in neutral as you rev and blow off. You are reading neg vacuum in neutral when you rev the vacuum should rise. please adjust your bov to open up a little more to release excess pressure. As apple said placing a bov by the turbo will be a stupid idea. Also place the valve where you like it but keep it to where access is adequate. also I hope your using metal t's and not cheap plastic ones. I have had four turbo cars and built every one of them so if you need help don't hesitate to pm me.

so, I should route my bov back into the intake right? It should be right after the MAF but before the turbo? It stalls at the light alot.

The BOV routing shouldn't have anything to do with the car stalling.

it only really happens when i build a sudden boost then abruptly stop. Then it stalls. or when i am on the hwy cruzing at boost and then getting on the off ramp to stop. then it stalls. everytjing i read is telling me i need to route the bov air back into the intake after the maf cause the sudden lack of air is drowning out the engine.

it only really happens when i build a sudden boost then abruptly stop. Then it stalls. or when i am on the hwy cruzing at boost and then getting on the off ramp to stop. then it stalls. everytjing i read is telling me i need to route the bov air back into the intake after the maf cause the sudden lack of air is drowning out the engine.

Thats the problem with BOV vented to atm. The car runs rich for that sec or two. And to make it worse, if the BOV doesnt seal properly, then yeah the car will stall a lot.

Its not a lack of air, but that the ECU measured that vented air already and is adding the corresponding amount of fuel. When that measured air goes out the BOV, the ECU doesnt take back the fuel, so everything goes silly rich.

This very well could be BOV related. Suddenly coming off throttle, the BOV vents measured air, causing a temp rich condition. At low RPM, no more throttle, as in coming to a stop, or clutch in coasting on an offramp, the ECU may not be able to compensate enough, or quickly enough to prevent stalling.

Re-circulating the bov into the intake, after the MAF (since that air has already been measured, you dont want to measure it twice), and before the turbo will prevent the temporary rich condition when the BOV opens, thus greatly reducing the probabily of stalls.

Thanks. I will adjust all of my idles and maybe this winter re route the bov. My tune is almost dialed in just right and then its off to the track!

bumping up idle is not going to keep it from stalling you will stall until you re-route the bov unless it is tuned to run open air and if it is tuned to run open air I would dbl check the bov itself as well as a boost leak test

Back