• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Indepth How-To on Headlight Baking, improved Hightower mod

I dont think so. Some use high temp, I didnt and its just fine.

Ha if I lived closer man, but seriously its SUPER easy if you just follow the directions.

We did ours on Sun. it seems hard by just reading but it actually wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. My friend did his WRX so he helped me with our SVT. It does take time and patience so if you dont have that then dont try it. We used high temp paint and instead of the Black RTV used the windshield repair tape. Its super sticky and waterproof and we put our lights back in same day. No condensation or leaks, and much easier then silicone. Just make sure you try and get all the old glue out of the lens this is the most time consuming part.

Wait until winter when the tape starts to contract. It shouldnt be the only thing used when sealing it up...

okay... so am gonna go ahead n try this mod on ma ebay lights n then get OEM ones. However some questions weren't answered a few posts ago. i gat one of mine too.
1) Wot do i do with the blinker reflector? Or rather, how do i get it off without breaking it? In the pictures Chris posted @ the beginning, i noticed it was off. But he didnt say exactly how he did it.
2)Some apparently use high temp paint. Am not familar with this. Is this supposed to be in a can, or some kinda paint that i can use with a brush? Enlighten me pleeeeease? I read the howtos, but 4 some reason no one touchd on these questions.

High temp paint is not needed, at all. but yes it comes in aerosol cans like any other spray paint.

the reflector is melted on the bottom side, you need to cut, grind, break, etc the melted part on the underside to get it to pop out.

Awesome write-up, did mine the other night, looks awesome. First one was a *****, but their easy to do. Gloves are a definate must, I destroyed my fingers doing mine.

1) Wot do i do with the blinker reflector? Or rather, how do i get it off without breaking it? In the pictures Chris posted @ the beginning, i noticed it was off. But he didnt say exactly how he did it.

I actually just shaved off the extra melted portions over the edges of the reflector tabs until the reflector slid out. Then, when I placed it back, put a bead of the sealant where the melted parts were to secure it back in. Seemed to work perfectly and have not had any issues. :shrug:

DO NOT DO THE HIGHTOWER MOD WITH DEPO LIGHTS!!! i tried it last nite, it does NOT work with the aftermarket ones. There's just too much glue or wotever they call that crap of a sealant. By the time u're done, the headlights won't look presentable anymore. I ended up breaking open the thing :mad:. The only thing i was able to salvage after the process was the inner chrome part that i painted. Now i have to find OEM housings.

DO NOT DO THE HIGHTOWER MOD WITH DEPO LIGHTS!!! i tried it last nite, it does NOT work with the aftermarket ones. There's just too much glue or wotever they call that crap of a sealant. By the time u're done, the headlights won't look presentable anymore. I ended up breaking open the thing :mad:. The only thing i was able to salvage after the process was the inner chrome part that i painted. Now i have to find OEM housings.

Ive posted several times that the Depo lights are significantly more difficult to open than OEM housings... There is a reason I dont use them.

Ive posted several times that the Depo lights are significantly more difficult to open than OEM housings... There is a reason I dont use them.

u're right. i just didnt think it would be that ridiculous. Its literally impossible tho! More difficult doesnt quite say it. Frustration for me didnt set in till twenty or more rounds of 4min baking. Thats an hour and a half of heating with no obvious progress. Well, i learned my lesson. Stock ones it is.

Last edited:
Hey Mike...Great writeup!! I just got mine done! Turned out awesome even though I used cheap Wal-Mart paint....I love the new look! Note to people just trying this.....do NOT wetsand the inside with 600 grit paper! LOL If I do another set, I won't be sanding the inside. Real easy to do though! Thanks for the great post, Mike.

since no one has said anything about it in this famous thread, i figured i'd ask. But wot have ppl been doing with the long rubber strip across the top of the headlight after the hightower process? the tabs got broken at the beginning. Am thinking about just shaving off the little extensions and just glueing it. I'll post my pix of my completed hightowers tomorrow.

Back