• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Indepth How-To on Headlight Baking, improved Hightower mod

ok so i've read EVERY single post on this thread and i understand that the DEPO headlights are the ones to stay away from, but i'm trying to figure out if the ones on EBAY are the DEPO ones or what? can somebody point me int he right direction on where to get a new set of headlights that are NOT the DEPO ones? i'm gonna go ahead and try this on my Stock headlights, but one of the tabs is broken on one of them so i can't aim one correctly.. which is why i'm curious to find out where to get a pair of new ones that are NOT THE DEPO ones!

thanks for the How-To, and thanks in advance to anybody that can help me out with a link or suggestion on where to get a new pair!

thanks

i had some a** back into me so i had to get new lights and i purchased lights from keystone aftermarket corp and they are awesome for the price

thanks for the advice! i went to their site and couldn't seem to find a section on the page to search and look at the head lights? where did you get them from on their website?

and also, these ARE NOT the DEPO head lights are they? i want to know where to get a pair that won't be impossible to take apart and do this mod!

thanks for the help!

Drew

I have two sets of crystal clear OEM headlights. One has black sealant and one has yellow. Which sealant is easier to work with? Or I could just try it on my third set of OEM headlights that are hazed and just polish the lenses later. Gah, having 3 sets of OEM headlights is a hassle...;)

-Connor

I have two sets of crystal clear OEM headlights. One has black sealant and one has yellow. Which sealant is easier to work with? Or I could just try it on my third set of OEM headlights that are hazed and just polish the lenses later. Gah, having 3 sets of OEM headlights is a hassle...;)

-Connor
I'm in the same boat. 3 sets of OEM and one set of depo. I'll end up doing this with one of them.

-Connor

i used black silicone(typically the kind you use on dark counter tops) it works great...and used 3 three clamps instead of 2 just to make sure that the entire lense was seated right. 2 is sufficient tho. plus i only set my oven to 175. i took the headlamps out every 5 to 8 minutes to separate them. this is a time consuming task...but when done right, is very worth it!

Jesus, I keep adding new projects to my list. But this one is fairly easy and inexpensive, it would seem. You just gave me something to do with my older busted headlight, PRACTICE! :D

Quick question here. Do u bake the headlight like with out removing the little glass tube that appears to be filled wit water, the one thas used to level out the head light ? or is it removed because it might explode?

ok so i've read EVERY single post on this thread and i understand that the DEPO headlights are the ones to stay away from, but i'm trying to figure out if the ones on EBAY are the DEPO ones or what? can somebody point me int he right direction on where to get a new set of headlights that are NOT the DEPO ones? i'm gonna go ahead and try this on my Stock headlights, but one of the tabs is broken on one of them so i can't aim one correctly.. which is why i'm curious to find out where to get a pair of new ones that are NOT THE DEPO ones!

thanks for the How-To, and thanks in advance to anybody that can help me out with a link or suggestion on where to get a new pair!

thanks

I have an old set of headlights that are Depo. I have no need for them so I figured i would see what happens with just trying to pry them apart with some flat headt screwdrivers. And VIOLA!!! They came apart with no issues what-so-ever! No baking was needed. Just used three different size screwdrivers and worked my way around till it popped loose. I tried the same methed on a set of Depos at the junkyard and they came apart very easily as well. So it might be easier to take them apart if you dont bake them.

So I'm doing mine right now. Guess what?? One of mine isn't an OEM ford headlight, one of them is a TYE. But thing is, it was was easier than the OEM. Looks like they sealed it with silicon and its just way easier to play with. But the headlight housing is A LOT less rigid. On mine I'm using plastidip along with a clear coat. Looks awesome right now. Just putting on the final coats. I ended up buying clamps that were too small so I'm going to bring those back another day and use velcro straps to hold these lenses in place overnight. Everything right now looks good though so I'm happy :D

This is a complete fkng nightmare. So far, I've cracked the lense and bent the black housing back, broken one of the tabs and the fcker still won't come loose. The black sealant is a real ••••• and I'm almost ready to give up. I got one open yesterday and it took about 2-3 hours to get open and this one seems even more stubborn.

This is a complete fkng nightmare. So far, I've cracked the lense and bent the black housing back, broken one of the tabs and the fcker still won't come loose. The black sealant is a real ••••• and I'm almost ready to give up. I got one open yesterday and it took about 2-3 hours to get open and this one seems even more stubborn.

Sorry to hear that man. Patience is key when it comes to doing these things

Man, I was doing so well after I made that post! One more trip in the oven really did the trick and I ahd the whole top loose and half of the bottom. I was just about to give 'er another round in the oven when I tried pulling from one end. The small crack I mentioned in the above post was the weak point:
20130213_191411..jpg

:mad:

Back