• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Indepth How-To on Headlight Baking, improved Hightower mod

Just a heads up for you guys trying to do this.

I do not recommend performing this on DEPO headlights. TRicker brought his headlights over this past week and we performed this mod. While it worked it was a royal PITA. It seems that DEPO uses a different sealant for their headlights and after you seperate the lense it is almost impossible to remove all of the glue/sealant/adhesive whatever you want to call it. Very very tough, but it can be done.

Haha. Trust me we tried a lot of things. The stuff that was in those DEPO lights was similar to epoxy before it dries. Also the DEPO lights have about two times as much sealant as the Ford OEM lights.

Hey Mike, sometime come spring time, I am gonna wanna try this. I haven't really decided on a color tho...being as I have a silver frost. But yeah, as KyleQ said, I think we should get together and do it. Let me know what you think about that. Peace

-Scott

DSC01985.jpg

Dark gray?? more graphite but, you get the idea.

DSC00980.jpg

Silfro, on silfro

The graphite looks great! There's just not enough of a contrast between the SilFro and the chrome for it to look good, IMO. Plus, it obviates the need/chance to use eyelids effectively. Body color and eyelids are an either/or proposition. I'm sticking with the dark, but not black.

Wow...yeah...I have to say that the graphite color actually looks pretty dec. I think that it is still a tad bit dark tho...maybe I will try and find something a little lighter, but still darker than silver frost...haha. Thanks for the pics PUD, that really does help a lot!

Here is a couple more colors for you guys, since most people are curious what hightowered lights look like on a silverfrost.

black (not painted, thats why its so shiney :))
lights2.jpg

lights.jpg

Slightly more bronze graphite color
DSC01715.jpg

DSC01842.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

Took those before i had them made, the home made one is in the garage in that picture.

ahh i just tried the hightower on my old headlight and i couldnt get it open or anything so im not even going to attempt it on my new headlights.

ahh i just tried the hightower on my old headlight and i couldnt get it open or anything so im not even going to attempt it on my new headlights.

This really isn't the hightower mod so to speak as you are not cutting the lights apart. Did you follow the procedure step by step?

You may have to put them in the oven several times. Also did you preheat the oven?

ok I'm about to try this. What do I need to do to the chrome if anything before I paint it?

Back