• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Indepth How-To on Headlight Baking, improved Hightower mod

hopefully you clean ur headlights too

lol. Yea those lights were for testing not actually use. I have another set with a clean set of lenses, or I might just use the lights that are currently on my car since I sanded and polished the hell out of those already.

4 hints:
1. Nissan
2. heat gun
3. Seal all
4. Not silicone

:cool:

I just stated the silicone because that was what I used in the past on my other cars and it works well. I've never had a leak. It seals nice and is good for all around temperatures (since my car sees -14degF at times as well as 105degF I think its proven itself worthy).

Excellent writeup Mike. If I didn't have a silver frost, I would definitely do this! Your car looks the sex... We should try and get another meet together, although, we need to find a new spot...haha.

lol. Yea those lights were for testing not actually use. I have another set with a clean set of lenses, or I might just use the lights that are currently on my car since I sanded and polished the hell out of those already.

I just stated the silicone because that was what I used in the past on my other cars and it works well. I've never had a leak. It seals nice and is good for all around temperatures (since my car sees -14degF at times as well as 105degF I think its proven itself worthy).

Silicon is hard to make sure you dont have tiny little pinhole leaks. I prefer not to use it, I Like to use something a bit more liquid that finds crevices etc. It will eventually break down too

Silicon is hard to make sure you dont have tiny little pinhole leaks. I prefer not to use it, I Like to use something a bit more liquid that finds crevices etc. It will eventually break down too

You just have to make sure you use a generous sized bead around the groove that the lens snaps into. I drove my 94 SHO for about 3 years after I repaired the headlights before I sold it and I never had a leak :shrug:

I sealed 2 sets fine with silicion, its just not a sure bet, one set needed to be resealed.

Excellent writeup, Mike! If it were earlier in the year I'd probably consider doing this, but it'll probably have to wait until spring when it warms up a bit.

In re: the little Silver Frost painted bit on the headlight. Do any of you have a decent pic of a Hightowered headlight with that little piece still painted silver? I can't imagine it looking too terribly bad left as-is, but I'd like to see a pic first to be sure.

Excellent writeup, Mike! If it were earlier in the year I'd probably consider doing this, but it'll probably have to wait until spring when it warms up a bit.

In re: the little Silver Frost painted bit on the headlight. Do any of you have a decent pic of a Hightowered headlight with that little piece still painted silver? I can't imagine it looking too terribly bad left as-is, but I'd like to see a pic first to be sure.

Yea I have one somewhere let me look around. Otherwise I can just go take one.

EDIT: Here you go

shot4nh5.jpg

shot2rc6.jpg

Last edited:
he should do a writeup on how to make a set of those for me......

you will need....

1. Mike
2. Chains
3. Some Torture Device
4. A set of headlights
5. An Oven
6. Misc. tools....

haha!

Unfortunately I have already painted on eyelids and I want to do this as well. Does anybody have eyelids as well as the hightower mod? Or does anybody want to attempt a photoshop? I'll get an even better picture later but for now how's this?

100_2799.jpg

he should do a writeup on how to make a set of those for me......

you will need....

1. Mike
2. Chains
3. Some Torture Device
4. A set of headlights
5. An Oven
6. Misc. tools....

haha!

You dork:troutslap:I told you to bring your damn headlights over and I would do it. You have yet to show up with enough time to pull it off.

Unfortunately I have already painted on eyelids and I want to do this as well. Does anybody have eyelids as well as the hightower mod? Or does anybody want to attempt a photoshop?

What color do you want to paint the inside of the headlights??

If you wanted black it works out kind nice since I have the same colored car with a splitter heh (although I'm no pro at PS either, but I'm sure you get the idea)

eyelidpsjs7.jpg

Last edited:
This needs to be made a sticky. Thanks Mike.

No problem. I just wanted everyone to see what was involved and how it really doesn't require a whole lot of time or complex tools as well as provide a step by step process to follow.

Well if it doesn't become a sticky I hope that it atleast replaces the old link for the how-to bake open headights in the "Aesthetics - Read First" thread. That post made by Pete was good, but really didn't have a lot of detail to it and only a handful of pictures. The whole reason for the old how-to post was to more or less prove/disprove the process I was telling everyone to use rather then cutting open there headlights with a dremel.

Awesome writeup! Maybe some time this spring we can get a group of people together and do it.. I know we have at least 4 black/red cars that would be intrested in doing this...

Awesome writeup! Maybe some time this spring we can get a group of people together and do it.. I know we have at least 4 black/red cars that would be intrested in doing this...

Sounds like a plan. I guess I can supply the oven, the tools and I can help you guys through it.

Back