• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Awd>1wd

Whats the status on this car, I would glady pay him good money for that awd setup if he hasn't sold it. I am sure he has way more effort into than he would consequently want in cash.

I dont have his contact info but I bet he still has it. pm him and see when his last login was..

I messaged him A LONG time ago about it when he mentioned selling it, never got a response. Still hopeful I can pick this up someday. I just want that rear subframe, if I did this it would just be rwd.

For sure! I was really hoping he's finish his AWD setup, and then modify it for a RWD kit group buy!

For sure! I was really hoping he's finish his AWD setup, and then modify it for a RWD kit group buy!

RWD is a tougher thing to set up..... the AWD he was going with was out of a Jaguar, where you have a 3.0 liter, and a transversely mounted transmission that is almost the same size and shape as the transmission in a contour, aside from a short output stub to the back with a driveshaft attached to it.

To do a RWD setup, you need to add engine mounts and you need to do a little trimming/patching to the firewall/floor to get the smallest transmissions to fit (really not much, I measured with a 3.0 and a 5 speed out of a Lincoln LS). You may also have to do some modification to the front subframe. The reason he was doing the Jag AWD is because for the most part, all the pieces should have nearly bolted right in.

I would say a good amount of braces for the motor mounts would have to be added for a RWD contour. The subframes in our cars handle the torsional load from a transverse mounted drivetrain. Putting in an RWD setup would require braces or brackets to be added to the frame rails of the contour plus a way to transfer the torque load into the body/suspension etc.

The steering rack and its cross member on the subframe has me thinking that would be another obstacle

I would say a good amount of braces for the motor mounts would have to be added for a RWD contour. The subframes in our cars handle the torsional load from a transverse mounted drivetrain. Putting in an RWD setup would require braces or brackets to be added to the frame rails of the contour plus a way to transfer the torque load into the body/suspension etc.

The steering rack and its cross member on the subframe has me thinking that would be another obstacle

That too. Subframe connectors would be a must.

Another aspect I was curious about was the possibility of gutting the Jag transfer case and getting stronger gears to just transfer power to the rear... essentially making it RWD. If this was possible, then it should be much easier -- no need to cut the floor for the transmission, or getting custom engine mounts. I've looked at the Jag transfer case schematics, and it seemed feasible.... but I am definitely not a tranny guy.

Back