• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98' CSVT vs MKIV 1.8T Jetta and Talon TSI (AWD)

Bourne

CEG'er
I lost vs both these cars by perhaps a couple car lengths....

however, I'm not sure they were stock, I know the 1.8T had an exaust, and the Talon, although I've never actually heard one.... sounded like it wasn't stock, ended up blowing something and I won....but he would have wasted me if he didn't otherwise.

Just wondering if it was my driving, they were mod'd or it was just a plain fact that they are faster.....

FYI... not sure what my time was on the 1.8T but I ran a 16.1 with the Talon
My tires were cold and I didn't get a good launch on either car either... :(

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he had some mods... he told me he ends up blowing something every year.

any advice for dragging?

Do you have any of your timeslips?

I wouldn't say your 16.1 was that bad if you weren't hooking. Get your 60' time down near 2.2-2.3 and you should be in the low to mid 15s. Even with 2.4s you should be able to pull high 15s stock.

As for tips, a lot revolves around the launch. The SVTs are a little tricky to feather just right, you don't want to drop the clutch but slip it from around 3k. Remember the secondaries open ~3500rpm :cool:

I wouldn't say your 16.1 was that bad if you weren't hooking. Get your 60' time down near 2.2-2.3 and you should be in the low to mid 15s. Even with 2.4s you should be able to pull high 15s stock.

I pulled a 15.3 in my non-SVT Cougar with a 2.4 60' time.

Of course, the differential happens to be broken right now, so it's getting a Torsen within the next couple of weeks.Then we'll work on those 2.2-2.3's ;)

That was with a GMK cold-air intake, SVT throttle body and upper intake manifold, gutted precats, 2.5" exhaust with a Flowmaster, and dual Borla resonators.

Stock 2.5 engine, stock clutch and driveline, stock Y-pipe and cat, 17" rims, crappy tires, about 110,000 miles.

I'm sure I could have done a lot better on a cool evening. This run was at Cougarfest, so it was around noon on 4th of July weekend, and well into the 90's, temperature-wise. It was SWELTERING on the track.

EDIT:

I just checked the timeslip, and I actually DID have a 2.3 60' time.

Here's the ACTUAL numbers:

1/4 Mile ET: 15.397
1/4 Mile MPH: 89.720
1/8 Mile ET: 9.973
1/8 Mile MPH: 71.960
0-60 Foot ET: 2.349

2071877_26_full.jpg

Last edited:
the jetta's run 15.8's i believe

The Contour SVT literature on my wall, put out by Ford, lists the SVT at 7.6 to 60 and 15.6 in the quarter at 89.4 MPH. I think all of these numbers are a little conservative, if not outright soft. The car is good for about 7 to 60, and I'm sure it can trap 90 at the eyes bone ass stock, so I agree that mid to low 15s should be completely doable. :cool:

The Contour SVT literature on my wall, put out by Ford, lists the SVT at 7.6 to 60 and 15.6 in the quarter at 89.4 MPH. I think all of these numbers are a little conservative, if not outright soft. The car is good for about 7 to 60, and I'm sure it can trap 90 at the eyes bone ass stock, so I agree that mid to low 15s should be completely doable. :cool:
svts have no topend once you get into fourth, poop no power

Back