• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cant get zetec to run after small accident.

beyondloadedSE

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys, we've got a guy thats in the need of some help. He just registered and hasn't been approved yet, so he cant post. Heres the circumstances with his car.

I have a 98 zetec 2.0
I lost power steering when the serpentine belt failed and ran off the road. I hit a dirt berm at about 30 miles an hour. I know i need a new radiator. BUt my engine will not start. I have replaced spark plugs and battery. Spark plug wires are fine i get spark from them. No check engine light at all. When i turn the key it sounds as if the engine tries to turn over but it doesnt all the way. and the engine now floods easily.

What are some things this guy could check? Timing belt skipped a tooth? Crank sensor?

The topic is Me

The topic is Me

Done both. I cannot seem to get it started. I ran an obd2 and g ot no codes at all. Here is the scenario. Driving down I465 my serpentine belt went out. I lost power steering in the middle of a turn and ran off the road. I hit a small dirt berm at about 20 miles an hour or so.(shot my radiator to hell) Got the car back on the road and tried to make it to the nearest autozone. got about half way and the car lost power. SHut the car off and walked the rest of the way to autozone. bought a new serpentine belt and 2 gallons of antifreeze. replaced the serpentine belt and tried to start the car. Unsucessful. I have since replaced the battery and the spark plugs. and it still wont turn over. it sounds liek it tries but it doesn't.

Sure its not the timing belt? You loose power steering when you snap the timing belt too. When mine snapped I lost my power steering and when I tried to start it again to see what was going on it sounded like it was trying to turn over but was making a swishing-swooshing sound.

Last edited:
Havent checked that as of yet. but i know for one that my serpentine belt was shredded. Took me 40 minutes to unwind it from the pulley. is there an easy way to check the timing without pulling the motor out?

Havent checked that as of yet. but i know for one that my serpentine belt was shredded. Took me 40 minutes to unwind it from the pulley. is there an easy way to check the timing without pulling the motor out?

You would have to take the valve cover off and check visually. Other than that I am not aware of another sure fire way to tell.

Well knowing nothing specific:

If its not turning over (seems to be though?) then your looking at starter (battery isn't likely) or flywheel.

If it is, its either electrical or timing belt (unless you have severe internal damage, which is unlikely) so plugs/wires/coilpack or a sensor.

You said the belt was tangled around the pulleys: is it possibly theres still some stuck thats preventing the crank from turning easily?

Still Not starting.

Still Not starting.

In regards to this car again..... I just noticed that my timing belt is roughly only half way on the the cam pulleys. Could this be the cause of my car not starting? is there a pulley related to my timing that may be recessed that the belt has slipped off? i looked at what parts of the belt i can see and there are no missing teeth or serious signs of wear.

In regards to this car again..... I just noticed that my timing belt is roughly only half way on the the cam pulleys. Could this be the cause of my car not starting? is there a pulley related to my timing that may be recessed that the belt has slipped off? i looked at what parts of the belt i can see and there are no missing teeth or serious signs of wear.

could be that the pulleys bearings are starting to bind and that could cause the jump.

Back