• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0L Duratec TT dynos

Link to post on old forums:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...mber=1278154&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Also found this on the old forums, amazing what searching yields. . .

Here is gotapex's quote from the last thread on this subject:

We use a custom forged aluminum piston from Wiseco which results in a compression ratio of about 8.5:1

The rods are Scat's 4340 forged H-beam with ARP 2000 bolts. (These are not the Q-Lite version)

Standard green top, 42 lb Ford Lightning injectors.

In terms of balancing and blueprinting:
Each crank is rebalanced to match the weight of the new forged rods and pistons. Each block is checked for deck height, main bore size, etc. Heads and cranks and inspected as well. Due to small variations in piston size, we measure each and every one in our climate controlled quality dept and then make very closely matched sets of six. After this, each block is honed to match the set of six pistons. We do this in order to maintain very tight control over the piston-to-bore clearance to reduce the possiblilty of piston slap from the increased clearance requirements of a forged piston.

Other items which are different:
1) The camshafts are a unique profile with increased lift and duration.
2) The block is specially machined to install piston squirters on each cylinder.
3) The accessory drive setup requires a non-stock front cover.
4) We use a special dual frequency damper for engine smoothness. This is not an underdrive or lightweight type change.
5) Lighter weight 19 lb flywheel (SVT flywheel)

I think the trans is the weak link. I mean, it is a stock Mondeo trans with an LSD correct?

yeah but i mean look at the power he's making and no motor troubles...as opposed to you (no offense) who just spun a bearing. or the guy who just posted his motor blown on 8 psi! or buckshot who's blown his motor on several occasions (if memory serves), burrita, an so on.

gotapex is making more power than any of them and the motor is fine, i just wanna know what's the secret to his success. the pwoer he's making seems untouchable to the mere mortals here without some sort of engine failure.

EDIT:

Link to post on old forums:
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...mber=1278154&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Also found this on the old forums, amazing what searching yields. . .

shut up n00b!

Last edited:
shut up n00b!

The guy asked for information on the motor, so how about no. I'm far from a noob to this platform, I've been on NECO for 3+ years now. :rolleyes:

To keep this on topic, I have wandered over to nobleforums.com before and there are always multiple threads about people shearing gears over there. Some on stock cars as well!

yeah but i mean look at the power he's making and no motor troubles...as opposed to you (no offense) who just spun a bearing.

spinning a bearing has nothing to do with power levels. Even stock svts do that. Obviously, taking a 90K motor apart and putting it back together having never done it before can cause problems because a)Ive never done it before and b)Once you start tinkering, things are more likely to fail. I've had low oil pressure for the last 3-4 months. (i.e. about 1 psi of oil pressure at idle, ~3-5 psi at cruising once oil is warmed up) I knew it was only a matter of time before one went. I think it mainly has to do with tuning and the engine builders. AER does this stuff for a living.

The guy asked for information on the motor, so how about no. I'm far from a noob to this platform, I've been on NECO for 3+ years now. :rolleyes:

i appreciate you posting the info, it is your snide search nazi reply that i could have done without.

jim, i'm not talking only spinning bearings....just look at all the different types of failures that happen to people here looking to make lots of power. not only spun bearings.

i guess what i'm saying is it'd be nice to have a blueprint of what works and what doesn't, and i guess i have that now.

gotapex is making more power than any of them and the motor is fine, i just wanna know what's the secret to his success. the pwoer he's making seems untouchable to the mere mortals here without some sort of engine failure.
You do realize that these are not gotapex's dynos right? These are derek's car.
Gotapex, afaik, has not posted his power. I'm sure it's pretty good as he has some work done to his noble, but derek's noble is by far the baddest noble.
The reason why his car can hold together (well, it's not together now) is because he has the money for expensive parts with highly paid people putting it together.
I heard a story about derek. He was out of town and his M6 broke a rear upper control arm, no local dealer had it in stock so he bought another M6, had the dealer put the parts on his car, and told them he'd pick up the car he just bought later.

Yeah, I saw him run his mercedes at the drag strip. V8 compressor with nitrous running 10s. Brought it and I think maybe a buddy of his in an enclosed trailer. It was a double decker and the noble was on top. It was pulled by a RV (the one with contour headlights). Probably over a million dollars just riding around when he does that.

Craziness indeed.

I bought a new noble 3L long block to make the occasional 400 HP without taking a big risk of engine damages. I'll push it hard on the dyno at least once.

All I need do is clone myself...

Craziness indeed.

I bought a new noble 3L long block to make the occasional 400 HP without taking a big risk of engine damages. I'll push it hard on the dyno at least once.

All I need do is clone myself...

i was going to pm you and ask what's been going on wqith that project. is it running yet?

To the people questioning Contours running 3L's, just remember that it's gotapex that came to a Contour board for ideas/advice. :laugh: Just messing with you gotapex! I always enjoy your updates, and look forward to hearing about your numbers!

Mark

Back