• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

1 piece bumper w/ Mirko anyone? and other custom parts...

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but look at the members on this site. I'd say at least 75% of the more active ones are SVT owners. I will agree that there were more SE's made, but when you look at the population who upgrade their car, the majority are SVT owners. In addition, you can put SVT parts on an SE, and I think that most will agree that they look better. Take BrApple's SeVT for example- http://www.fordcontour.org/index.php?&autocom=registry&cmd=view_item&CID=121

what i get no love?? hahah.

kscontourkid contacted me about maybe working on a fiberglass front splitter for the Se. hes going to shoot some designs this way and im gonna give it a good try.

the thing w/more ground clearance is you ruin the look of the splitter:shrug: look at a svt w/mirko from the side..the splittler lines up nicely w/the bottom of the skirts,now if you raise it up you have this stupid look of the front bumper being higher off the ground than the sides.

there is actually 1 way to make it still functional and have it higher off the ground. this picture will give you a slight idea and for those who want to learn a bit here is some light reading about splitters... very accurate!

pic- notice how the splitter comes up in the middle
s40.jpg

here is the link to the site about splitters
http://www.e30m3performance.com/myths/splitter/splitter.htm

this is actually the approach i am going to try and use to make the splitter i am designing functional and practical.

Air ride? How come you run air ride? (not ball busting, genuinely curious)..does it handle offer better handling? Seems to me, there's be way too many options...hell, adjustable Konis had me secodn guessing myself whenever I had a bad run at the Auto-x...if I had air ride I'd constantly be asking, "Hmmm another 1/4" up or down...would that have helped?

its straight up ballin :cool: lol. plus the ladies love it! if i spent the same amount of money on a track suspension setup, there would be no comparison on the track. air ride is mostly just for show. plus with all the crappy roads, i can have all the clearance i want with the push of a button

im workin on it right now. im a little rusty with a pencil and paper. im gonna draw it on paper first to see if i can get the right look and then see if i cant scale it into autocad. 3D isnt my thing on paper so i can give you a good idea from 2D angles but once i get it in autocad im a wiz with 3D there. im wanting it to look like someone took a mirko and molded SE sideskirts in but with the front to look like the pic of the volvo in the middle. if i knew how to fiberglass it would be easy but i dont know how:(

i dont mind doing it. plus i hate designing

making it a one off piece isnt hard to do. making it so i can make multiple ones is tricky

Last edited:
the thing w/more ground clearance is you ruin the look of the splitter:shrug: look at a svt w/mirko from the side..the splittler lines up nicely w/the bottom of the skirts,now if you raise it up you have this stupid look of the front bumper being higher off the ground than the sides.
Maybe, I'd worry about that too, but I still think 1/2" higher would still look ok.
Either way though, if its the same height as the Mirko, I'd be out. He mentioned the largest market possible and an SVT peice that is flexible and has some added ground clearance would be the largest market.
As far as function goes with the pic posted, the SVT front actually is lowest at the outside edges, I'm sure it has some function too.
-J

looking at some pics..there looks like there might be 1/4-1/2 inch to play w/before it looks silly. judging by the amount of mirko's sold, i dont think not creating more ground clearance is going to make or brake this if it goes through.sure,a few, like yourself would back out,but i think enough would be happy to have something flexible that isnt going to break or chip when they bottom out slightly:shrug:

the SVT front does actually have some function. the lower lip is very jutted out to provide a splitter effect and force some air under the car and providing place for a positive pressure zone. its not going to function enough to make a difference at the speeds we travel at normally but at speed im sure an SVT is a lot more stable than an SE body with SVT suspension partially because of the bumper design. just some food for thought :)

you do have a point. ground clearance is an issue but i have noticed in most messed up mirko pics the leading edge takes the hit not the outer edges so if you were to lift the center similar to the volvo splitter it would provide clearance and a sweet look to the front of the SVT

This is a good convo going. im liking the ideas that are being thrown out.

If you're going for an integrated splitter (which I've been asking for ever since the SVT cover was discontinued)... here are some of my thoughts.

Any cover that has a functional splitter installed should have some reinforcements. It's weak enough as it is... all 4 bolts and the corner braces do help alot, but I think it would be best to have this in mind when designing the new cover. Like.. having 2 braces (on either side of the lower grill) going from the cover bottom lip to the front frame. That should help alot since it's the frontal area that's floppy.

If you're after a semi-rigid/flexible splitter... wouldn't standard garage weather stripping be the same? That's what lots of other people use. If so, you wouldn't really need to pursue having the cover recreated... though it would be nice to have SVT covers available again.

I would really be up for a pre98 SVT front bumper/skirts/rear bumper depending on cost.

ok, got off the phone with my contact about this stuff.

its WAY cheaper to just have something copied than to have to re-invent the wheel. enough people buy Mirkos or WANT to buy Mirkos that i think simply making a 1 piece csvt bumper with molded in Mirko would do the trick for most. i can possibly ask about shaving an inch off the bottom but it might look funny and it might be a lot more expensive. not to mention add who knows how much more time to the ordeal.

if i can get him my bumper/mirko within the next week. (if its not too late already), we might be looking at 10-12 weeks. same with the side skirts.

for bumpers, this is just a guesstimate at this point but we might be looking at $500 shipped. not bad for a brand new csvt bumper AND Mirko rolled into one. and being made of flexible material. does that sound like a reasonable price to people? i know we'd have to have at least 20 people join in to get this going...

im not sure what we could get a side skirt for. maybe $250 shipped? (per side). hopefully less..

these are just guesstimates based on what my contact was saying. it could come out to less, or maybe more..

as far as worrying about the front of it, you could always add Pole's skidplate, which is what id plan to do to mine.

im thinking this is what id want to do with now to keep things simple and get them going.
1. stock csvt bumper w/ molded in Mirko
2. stock csvt side skirts w/ molded in jack point covers (not even visible lines where they should be)
3. stock rear window shade thing (but we'd need a donor)

if things went successfully with these pieces, then we could work on doing a pre98 trunk and maybe a custom hood.

just to get the front bumper going. we'd need at least 20 people and everyone would have to kick in a deposit of about $200. give at least 12 weeks to be done. my guy who im dealing with has had quite a few parts made with this company before and says the fit and finish is fantastic and they deliver on time.

i have many coals in the fire right now and dont really have the cash to front for this. if we came up short of 20 people i would maaaaybe be able to get a friend to fund it but then id have to mark up the other ones to make it worthwhile for them. ie, people who bought them later would pay more.

anyway, hopefully ill have a little more info tomorrow...

i have many coals in the fire right now ...
Good job! I hope something comes of this. As far as the front clearance issue, there are less folks concerned about it than those that aren't so I wouldn't even worry about it. It would be easier to raise the car an inch if it's that big a worry. Oh, and the phrase is "irons in the fire" for future reference. :laugh:
Karl

I think I'd be in for the bumper.
As far as a trunk goes.. I would love to see the top of pre-98 trunk (w/ lip spoiler) mated to the back of 98+ trunk...

I guess I'm in... just to have my current cover as a spare is reason enough. I've been wanting a splitter too.

I've asked this before... and usually people here are like :shrug: :confused:. But could you check with them about how much a carbon fiber sunroof panel would be? OEM panel is around 20lbs. I replaced the glass with plexi in mine and got it down to 9lbs. I'm sure an entire cf panel (with bracket reinforcements) could get that weight down to 5lbs. I even have a spare I could part with for a little bit while they made molds of it.

Back