• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The snow is on it's way!

quick q bought the car used how would i kno if i have an lsd or not?? just wondering becuase i havent broken the diff yet i think. although it pulls really hard to one side when i really hammer down. sorry bout the thread jack

I can only say for sure on rear wheel drive, but I think it is the same for front wheel.

Jack up the front of the car (both wheels up). Put the trans in neutral (engine OFF) and spin one tire. I say again ENGINE OFF!!!!If the other tire spins in the same direction, you have a LSD. If it spins in the opposite direction you have an open rear. If it doesn't spin, you MAY have a real problem. Did I mention DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE ON?

I hope this is correct and I hope it helps.

Ian - 99.9% chance of NO LSD in your car . It's an expensive mod that not just any jo-schmo will have done . Usually the car will have all kinds of other power mods done . What you're experiencing is torque-steer - very common on FWD cars .

Guess it takes some getting used to. I'll let ya know what I think Wed. morning after I go out and play. I'm hitting the streets before our lame street crew plows our road.

Thanks everyone.

i would say so ... I completely forgot about the softer snow compount for the first 50% of the tire ... I don't think that I have driven on completely new snow tires, they where either used a few years or one depending on the set it was ... I think this is the third winter for the set I am using now, but then again last year I was putting 165 miles a day on them to and from work ... to me they ride and handle like cheap all season tires on the dry but in the snow they are great ...

Well, I have to drive to work tonight...they said nothing major in accumulation this evening, but it will build up while you're all sleeping. So I guess I'm worried about driving home Wednesday morning and going to work Wednesday night. :help:

damn snow is here its really lite and fluffy. thought wed have off or delay but no we dont but im not going anyway.

You'll probably have off tomorrow.

Not snowing here yet, but it sure looks like it's on the way.

Now they are saying 6 to 10 for Bucks, Berks, Lehigh and Northampton Counties. :D I love snow!!!!!

I had Conti-Extereme's and didn't like them at all. I put them on after driveing an FSVT with them. For whatever reason, I couldn't get them to hook up in the dry or wet. I went to BFG Traction T/A's and have been very happy.

Hmm..
I thought they were outstanding on dry and wet pavement. Never a slip or slide, I always felt very confident with those tires.

We rarely get salt on our road and driving on it is like driving on an icy washboard, those tires handled that very well also.

Wonder if they made some changes to the composition of the tires at some point?

hopefully it doesn't start till i get home tonight. gotta work really late, and far from home.

this kinda stuff makes me fear the mustang

though tey are talking more rain here than snow...it's gonna be really cold which = ice.

Snowing here and I hate it!

.....I really need to put my snow tires on.....Hankook's + snow = little traction, but great for drifting!:laugh:

Well that was fun. First time really driving in snow just now. They sent us home early and i got out of taking the PSSA test today, WOO HOO! I hope we only have a delay tomorrow because if we are closed we will have to go to school on Friday but we are supposed to be off. Its ok, im going out of town anyways.

Oh and i was pretty impressed with my tires. They are just all season tires and i had no problems. I cant remember the name of them right now.

Nothing like getting out of the PSSA's. What a PITA, I hated taking those.

Glad your all season worked well for you. You probably won't have any issues with them.

Hmm..
I thought they were outstanding on dry and wet pavement. Never a slip or slide, I always felt very confident with those tires.

We rarely get salt on our road and driving on it is like driving on an icy washboard, those tires handled that very well also.

Wonder if they made some changes to the composition of the tires at some point?

Maybe I was just spoiled by the GForceT/A's which I would put against most other tires until it gets below 40 degrees. Then you may as well be Fred Flintstone with rocks on all four corners.

Back