• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The race car is finally home!

That thing sounds awesome. What is the exhaust setup besides.....

these
robsheader.jpg

So let me get this straight, they race in a straight line?

It's more like you enter your car into a Class, the mods/safety equipment you have determines your class. For example, IIRC if you have a cage, fuel cell, and Halon you can run in the top class...which is the 160 MPH. You are timed and your goal is to average the correct speed. Whoever gets closest to running their correct speed wins their class...I think.

Rob, chime in here :)

Here is a quick explanation of Open Road Racing.
The Big Bend race is on highway 285 in west southwest Texas. The highway runs between Fort Stockton on the north and Sanderson on the south.The road boarders the Big Bend National Park and is 65 miles of elevation changes, twists and turns and 5 mile straights.
The race is setup as a time and distance rally with two legs, south to Sanderson then north to Fort Stockton. There are speed classes from 85mph to 160mph, and an unlimited class. The objective of the race is to average your exact class speed over the entire 118 miles. The unlimited class winner is the fastest average speed over the 118 miles. Every speed class except unlimited has a tech speed (top speed you can legally reach) and a minimum speed (slowest you can legally drive). These are watched closely and strickly enforced for safety reasons.
For example, in 2011 (attached video) we were in the 140mph class. Our tech speed was 168mph and our minimum was 120mph. With those parameters my navigator and I using a stop watch, a navigation system and a kitchen timer drove 118 miles through west Texas averaging 140mph in a Contour. For reference the unlimited class winner is usually around mid 160mph with trap speeds of 200mph. They tend to have a very high rate of DNF's in unlimited.
These events started in Nevada with the Silver State Classic. Remember the Big Red Camaro? I have never attended that race because of the distance to attend and the road is to straight. But I alway run Big Bend www.bborr.com and Sandhills Open Road Challenge www.sorcrace.com in Nebraska. Both are fantastic and unique racing events which are open to a wide varity of cars. I highly recommend trying one!

That is a lot of typing for me!

Rob

Love the color combo on that! Have been planning satin white with gloss black wheels and bumpers on my ranger for over a year now.

Here are a couple of more cell phone pictures. When it's all together I will get some better quality pics in the sun. Got the carbon fiber (faux) roof installed, I was going to continue the CF on the hood but decided to wait. I don't want the entire hood CF but may do some type of stripe or cover the middle, not sure yet?2012-09-25 21 07 39&.jpgt2012-09-26 21 00 53&.jpg2012-09-25 21 07 54&.jpg
Also I have been working on the quick release front bumper. The fasteners are installed but still have some work to do on the lower grill and new spoiler2012-09-26 21 01 32&.jpg.2012-09-26 21 02 15&.jpg

I have decided to take the Contour back to the Big Bend Open Road Race the last week in April. I Signed up for the 145mph class which may be a challenge, so no navigator, just me and the Contour! I looked back through my 140mph run and I think it can be done, no relaxing, just 120 miles of flatout!
I have a test day on the 10th so I will try to get some pictures, if all goes well the Contour is going back to Texas.

Rob

i have decided to take the contour back to the big bend open road race the last week in april. I signed up for the 145mph class which may be a challenge, so no navigator, just me and the contour! I looked back through my 140mph run and i think it can be done, no relaxing, just 120 miles of flatout!
I have a test day on the 10th so i will try to get some pictures, if all goes well the contour is going back to texas.

Rob

yes!!

Back