• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The "OFFICIAL" 2009 Fall Dragon Run Thread!

I just spent the past 6 hours prettying up my car for this epic meet. The previous owner of my S2000 had poorly painted the front calipers red. I had to scrape it all off and repaint them black. Hopefully my paint holds up. Anybody know if 500 degree high heat paint is good enough to hold up on the front calipers?

I also got new tires that I plan on breaking in on the drive up to the Tail of the dragon. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's.

here are some pics we took at the first of the month I promised earlier. I cant figure out how to get the vids from the card to the computer though? but enjoy, ill link the entire album of over 250 pics as well. http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/icysvt/129 n cherohala pics and vids/

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

its a little close then i though for some reason. And I was planning on getting a few other people to come down. I might end up going, just not with the EGL annual guys.
if you dont come down with roger, lmk when you will be coming, and I will be sure to come out and run a little. This is almost my backyard lol.

I just spent the past 6 hours prettying up my car for this epic meet. The previous owner of my S2000 had poorly painted the front calipers red. I had to scrape it all off and repaint them black. Hopefully my paint holds up. Anybody know if 500 degree high heat paint is good enough to hold up on the front calipers?

I also got new tires that I plan on breaking in on the drive up to the Tail of the dragon. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec's.
It will hold up. I had universal (house) paint on my calipers on the Contour and it held up great!

OK guys so I went to the Devil's Triangle today. I have to say overall with distance and stuff factored in I really wasnt impressed. There is only one road of the loop worth talking about and that is HWY116. The road has some SERIOUS curves on it and IMO is more dangerous than the dragon is. The sharp curves arent marked at all, no sinage whatsoever. Traffic wasn't really bad I was stuck behind a 4x4 for a major part of it but not too many people were out. The direction I went is NOT the direction we want to take because the road has a ton of crappy patchwork and is rough as hell, and im on stock suspension. I guess we can discuss the trip more and hell I may try to have one more shot at it but by far the dragon, hellbender, and the skyway take the cake.

OK guys so I went to the Devil's Triangle today. I have to say overall with distance and stuff factored in I really wasnt impressed. There is only one road of the loop worth talking about and that is HWY116. The road has some SERIOUS curves on it and IMO is more dangerous than the dragon is. The sharp curves arent marked at all, no sinage whatsoever. Traffic wasn't really bad I was stuck behind a 4x4 for a major part of it but not too many people were out. The direction I went is NOT the direction we want to take because the road has a ton of crappy patchwork and is rough as hell, and im on stock suspension. I guess we can discuss the trip more and hell I may try to have one more shot at it but by far the dragon, hellbender, and the skyway take the cake.
Thanks for the legwork Trey. Maybe you can plan a loop for us going the right way on 116!:shrug:

It will hold up. I had universal (house) paint on my calipers on the Contour and it held up great!

if that is the case, I may do the rears tomorrow or next weekend. I didn't want to mess with the rears until I knew how well the fronts would hold up.

I just got done txting Trey and he's been on the Triangle and the results seem "interesting" to say the least. It appears there are NO signs that tell you about the turns, thus being a bit more dangerous, but all depends on us, right:shrug: He also said its going to take some time to get there from the cabins, but he said we would take the Skyway to the Dragon and then the route to get there, so I'd like to ask everyone, what day would you guys like to do this, Friday or Saturday? I'd also like to suggest that we leave early for this since its going to take sometime to get there. Leaving early has its advantages too, less people out, some possible fog to make it interesting (well until the sun comes up anyways) and doing a run in the early morning hours, something we really haven't done yet:cool: So throw some ideas out and let's see what everyone says. BTW, early to me is 7:00 a.m.

its a little close then i though for some reason. And I was planning on getting a few other people to come down. I might end up going, just not with the EGL annual guys.

Hope it works out either way Alex, but hopefully you and whomever your thinking about bringing down to the Dragon can make it out when we all go, the more the merrier for one, secondly you'd know exactly where to go and the best way to get there with our group, its cheaper with us due to our volume discount, meet some new CEG-ers and generally feel more comfortable due to our numbers.

This run will also signal something new for our group, the "Devils Triangle" run, so we can all (except Trey) experience it for the first time:cool:

BTW, who might you be bringing down there:confused:

Those are the tires I want!

But I think I'm going to hold off buying them until next year. Buying a set of snows for both the Contour and GTI is going to put a dent in my savings this year. Waaaah.

Those are the tires I want!

But I think I'm going to hold off buying them until next year. Buying a set of snows for both the Contour and GTI is going to put a dent in my savings this year. Waaaah.

They got really great reviews, so I am looking forward to breaking them in on the drive up, and trying them out on the dragon.

ground controls/sachs struts are on and i swapped wheels with the wifey. Car looks 10x better! got some exhaust on the way as well:cool:

Hate to rain on the upgrade parade but...

Hate to rain on the upgrade parade but...

My buddy with the Saab has a possible blown engine, atleast cyl #4 as its misfiring and spitting out oil. Its at the dealership right now getting a compression test, so we'll see for sure. The car came with a 4/50K warrenty, but the years part of it expired back in Nov, but it has 48K on the clock. I don't expect them to cover it, so he'll have to come up with something else to get an engine. I'm pretty sure that he's not going to make it, unless Saab covers a new short block. This sucks as I've been trying to get him to go for years now, damn:(

Alex, keep us posted on your crew making it out as it would be a lift to our run now that 2 of the orignal group for this year can't make it.

Bah, it looks like the girlfriend won't be able to make it. Good news is she just accepted a new job, bad news is her training will keep her well into the first week of October. Looks like I'll be driving down solo.

Back