• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The "OFFICIAL" 2009 Fall Dragon Run Thread!

Klasse Act

I pee with gloves on!
OCTOBER 1ST THRU THE 4TH IS THE DATE OF THIS RUNNING!!!

The dates were voted on earlier and most people use Thursday as their travel day and Sunday as they day they go home. Coming from the metro Detroit area our group should arrive around 4-5:00 p.m. on Thursday, but maybe sooner if we get an earlier start. This doesn't mean you have to come out there that day, we can expect you on Friday or even Saturday if your scedule allows it, so don't worry about that but know this is the amount of days most of us have sceduled for the run, thank you!

The time has come again to get things going on our 7th annual Fall Dragon Run, 2009! Last years run was very sucessful, 9 cars from 6 different states and this year appears to be getting larger via the other thread and the vote tallies. This forum will be used for info on your cars, general talk about the Dragon, questions about the Dragon, fears of the Dragon:shrug:. etc. Its also a way to introduce yourself if your new to this and wanna go, all are welcome but we don't want and/or need any clowns out there with us, let me explain. The years that we've gone down there we've only had once incident with someone who remain nameless and IMO that's pretty good, so let's keep it that way yet another year. There are NO "fun governors" out there, but rather a group of guys and gals who respect the road, other motorist and each other and that's the way we like it. We get up in the morning, have a good breakfast, head out on the Cherahola Skyway and stop and take pics, stop at Wheelers for souveniers, run the Dragon and come back the same way, then repeat again the next day....usually! Once back at the cabins we start up a campfire and sit around and talk about the days fun which is very relaxing to say the least.

Anything Dragon related can be posted here as far as pics go, whether its past runs or even your mods to get your ready for the Dragon too, we wanna see all that, so post em' if you've got em'! Many here have run the Dragon before and some have run it many, many times, so if you've got questions we're here for you. Friendly banter is also welcomed here as well.

I'd like to let those looking to go with us that everything is at our fingertips in the area, like a quarter carwash, a touch-free car wash at the Exxon station that doubles as cafe with good food and they're Dragon friendly, a Hardee's and the best little small town restaraunts that will take care of your stomach too. The cabins are only 3.5 miles from all of this and the road to get there is a little "warm up" to the Dragon, very cool indeed:cool: Speaking of the cabins, don't forget to check out the other seperate thread for a link to Caney Creek Village where you can see everything there for yourself and if by some chance the cabins get filled up, our host Dixie will help us out with other cabins in the area, its just a great weekend in the fall with us!

In closing let's roll out the red carpet to the new guys/gals who are coming along as well as the people we will come to the CEG and this forum and particular and let's show them why they'd have a great time with us slaying the Dragon!

Now that we've got that out the way, welcome to the "OFFICIAL" thread and let the posting begin....:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol i know who that refrence was for.............. I cant wait for this. soon as i get a few things buttoned up im going to get on our devils triangle route planning.

I will try to get a route or 2 setup to get us over to Gatlinburg, since ive done it once before, one day if we decide to do that.

Thanks to Trey and Dan for looking into the Triangle run for us, yet another new thing for us to try, just like last years run to the Fontana Dam, thanks again for that Trey! I also see we may have a guy from Wisconsin coming, great, he can hook up with Hectour and his Dad and drive down together and meet up with us coming down I-75 from Detroit, perfect. Hectour was about a half and hour ahead of me on I-75, so we timed it out pretty well IMO:cool:

The road to Fontana was probably my favorite from the trip. That and when Randy, Billy, Pete, and I got lost on the way home that night and then did some extremely "spirited" driving back on the Cherohala. I was glad to be back after that, all of the concentration really wears you out!

The road to Fontana was probably my favorite from the trip. That and when Randy, Billy, Pete, and I got lost on the way home that night and then did some extremely "spirited" driving back on the Cherohala. I was glad to be back after that, all of the concentration really wears you out!
ya lets look beyond my chupacabra incident lol

Hmmm....well since I will be living down there come July 1st, I should have no reason NOT to come to this one!!!! I probably won't drive my car, but depending on when the TN dub people go.....I'll be there!!!

Hmmm....well since I will be living down there come July 1st, I should have no reason NOT to come to this one!!!! I probably won't drive my car, but depending on when the TN dub people go.....I'll be there!!!

July 1st... That is my birthday!

2002_mr_deeds_006.jpg

Why not take your car down there, we could use a few more CSVT's, especially rare green ones! If you don't drive your car what will you take? You could probably come on out to the cabins and ride with someone if you wanted to and/or they'd have you. What are your plans:confused:

BTW, those who already reserved your cabins go ahead and post it in the other forum and if you haven't reserved your cabin please do so, it would be much appreciated. thank you.

Why not take your car down there, we could use a few more CSVT's, especially rare green ones! If you don't drive your car what will you take? You could probably come on out to the cabins and ride with someone if you wanted to and/or they'd have you. What are your plans:confused:

BTW, those who already reserved your cabins go ahead and post it in the other forum and if you haven't reserved your cabin please do so, it would be much appreciated. thank you.

I would probably ride w/ my vdub friend :) The TN dubbers usually go right around that time of the year, so we'll see what happens. My car just isn't in any shape to ride the dragon :( It's a trusty car, no doubt about that......I just don't feel like wrecking it! lol

Maybe I should get some banjo music on my ipod in case my nav betrays me again. The night run on the Cherohala was a highlight for me for sure. One of the best times I had with that car!

Quick little movie with gf taking vid, from last May.

My fatass.
IMG_1453.jpg

x3 on the "No Clowns" issue. I like my car and hope to drive it back in the same condition as I drive it down. US 129 is a Federal Highway, not a Personal Racetrack.

Here's some links that are very helpful to first-timers... and everyone in that regard.

http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon_faq.html
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon_howtodrive.html

Having said all that - this road is an absolute BLAST. I didn't need to go above the 30mph limit to have fun. Several turns may in fact require a 1st gear downshift; 90% of my time was spent in 2nd.

Girlfriends/passengers not privy to this kind of drive will need to have a good position in their seat and face forward, watching the road. Even then, several times Her Royal Highness (my gf) was ready for a break.

And breaks we got. Several of them. Traffic backups caused by bike and sports car collisions. We met lots of people on the side of the road. Takes a looooong time to get abulances and wreckers on this road.

Really looking forward to this. It's still a long ways off, however.

JC, your our kind of guy down there, hope you and your g/f make the trip down there!

Biggity, you will not wreck the CSVT but if your not comfortable maybe you should ride down with one of the Vdub guys, no problem and if you look back at our 07' run we actually had a guy with a blue Jetta from Ohio that ran with us and IIRC he was on that forum too, plus he was a nice guy to boot, offered us all something to drink out of his cooler:cool:

I'd like to welcome JCJetta to our Dragon run, just saw his post over on the cabin forum. I know Hectour is going, so his name is sure to show up there soon, so everyone else, post your reservations:cool:

Back