• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The first FI'd Zetec 'tour is back in the family.

Well it's not looking good. I think I've got the timing set correctly. I did a compression test and got the following...

65-35-30-50

Ouch.

Plus, when doing the compression test on cyl4, it made this horrible screeching sound. :help:

I'm guessing that it's not a blow head gasket but that the pistons/rings are royally f'd up.

I'm going to triple check the timing, do another compression test, but then my only resort is to pull the head and see what is going on.

BP

Not looking good at all. :( I hope you won't need a new motor, but it's looking like the direction you'll have to take. Maybe a Focus swap so you can look to all the goodies they offer??

I'm gonna run a compression check on my Zetec to see what numbers I come up with. I'm also going to backwash all the injectors. For some reason, the car has been running lean from day 1 and the computer compensates by dumping massive amounts of fuel and I get crap mileage. Funny thing is, I still get valve chatter like it's lean... :shrug: Got a new MAF some time ago, and recently replaced it again & confirmed good readings. That's what has me focusing on the injectors.

Well it's not looking good. I think I've got the timing set correctly. I did a compression test and got the following...

65-35-30-50

Ouch.

Plus, when doing the compression test on cyl4, it made this horrible screeching sound. :help:

I'm guessing that it's not a blow head gasket but that the pistons/rings are royally f'd up.

I'm going to triple check the timing, do another compression test, but then my only resort is to pull the head and see what is going on.

BP

just a good excuse for high compression pistons :)

A little update...

I've got everything but the AC compressor and the JRSC pulled off the motor. I'm going to take a gamble and just throw my SVT JRSC on a stock Focus motor. I found a '00 Focus Zetec with 17,000 miles on it for $400. From reading through all of the Focus Forums, it should handle 10psi just fine. With it intercooled, that should be good for at least 190-200fwhp.

I'm hoping to pick up the motor Thursday after work. I want to have it in by Sunday. It probably won't be running for a couple of weeks because I want to relocate the battery, fix a TON of the wiring, install a bunch of new stuff, and I want to have my JRSC manifold modified for the intercooler setup.

BP

I hope everything flows together perfectly because your in a big money pit already. :help:

Keep us informed!

What? The KBB value on this car is $3200. Theoretically if I just dropped in a good motor for $400, I would still be $1300 ahead. :confused:

Add on the JRSC, BBS wheels, new tires, HIDs, Eibach springs, this car is worth $5500. I know that I'd never be able to sell it for that much, but that's how much it would cost to "make" the same car.

BP

Including the JRSC and turbo you bought before this? Not including the accident and misc. other repairs/upgrades. :shrug:

I sold my "extra" JRSC for exactly what I paid for it. I'm still planning on putting my $400 T3-S60 on my MTX. The ins co gave my $2400 for my wrecked 'tour. KBB value was only $1200.

The SVT JRSC that I did keep cost me $1300. If you check the above math, I've essentially paid $500 for my supercharger and turbo.

Also, the JRSC on Hectors-Old-Tour will be sold along with the exhaust. My initial $1500 investment will drop to $750 or less when those pieces are sold.

Do you still see this as a money pit? I see this as a VERY wise investment.

I really don't appreciate being crapped on by someone who doesn't know the whole story.

BP

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I didn't know you sold the old JRSC you bought. You definately thought it out and I give you mad props for keeping up the good work. I respect that. :cool:

Focus motor should handle alot more then 10psi.. I've heard of guy's boosting 15psi putting down over 300whp on stock motors.

Are you keeping the ATX?

I checked out Jackson Racing a couple months ago and you can get a whole new intake manifold for $300. That was for the SVT manifold. Do you have a part number? If you can find it, enter it into this page to see how much it costs...

http://www.mossmotors.com/shop/OrderByPart.aspx

Focus motor should handle alot more then 10psi.. I've heard of guy's boosting 15psi putting down over 300whp on stock motors.

Are you keeping the ATX?

Only the SVTs are geting 300whp on 15psi. A normal Zetec on 15psi would be around 225whp.

Yep, I'm keeping the ATX. This car will be my daily driver. That is also why I'm limiting myself to 200whp. I don't want to exceed the ATX's 200ft/lb torque limit. I want this car to be reliable. ;)

With my Brullen exhaust and my car stereo, it will be one nice ride. :cool:

BP

I checked out Jackson Racing a couple months ago and you can get a whole new intake manifold for $300. That was for the SVT manifold. Do you have a part number? If you can find it, enter it into this page to see how much it costs...

http://www.mossmotors.com/shop/OrderByPart.aspx

Only the SVTs are geting 300whp on 15psi. A normal Zetec on 15psi would be around 225whp.

Yep, I'm keeping the ATX. This car will be my daily driver. That is also why I'm limiting myself to 200whp. I don't want to exceed the ATX's 200ft/lb torque limit. I want this car to be reliable. ;)

With my Brullen exhaust and my car stereo, it will be one nice ride. :cool:

BP
there was a guy on focaljet? or one of the focus sites with a 2000 ZX3 that put down 315fwhp and 272fwtq? i know the hp number is right but the tq might be off boosting 15psi with standalone.. it was a bone stock motor from what I read

havent got a part number unfortunately no.

$300 is a good price! i've got a spare JRS M45 blower so if i could get hold of the JRSC intake manifold and idler pulleys i could supercharge my other zetec mondeo for peanuts. hmmm so near but yet so far!

Well it's been slow going. I hurt my back on Tuesday. I was finally feeling back to normal today. No pun intended. ;)

I've got everything stripped off of the motor and it is ready to come out. I did find out that the supercharger is in really bad shape. The coating on the rotors is about 1/2 gone. I'm guessing that the motor eating the supercharger is why the compression is soo low.

I'm going to pick up a reverse-torx set tomorrow after work so that I can get the cam caps off. I want to pull the head just to see what is exactly wrong.

I'm guessing that I'm going to find severely scored cylinder walls.

BP

I'm not sure. I'm trying to find that out right now. I used to have a link to a place that did full rebuilds and performance coating to Eaton superchargers. I think that it was on my stolen computer. :blackeye:

I did find a place called The High Speed Lab. I'm going to send them an email.

BP

Back