• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The first FI'd Zetec 'tour is back in the family.

Thanks ya friggin' FIB. :laugh:

Yeah, the guy seemed honest. Just not knowledgable about the modern computerized 4 cyilnder. He said that he had some small block V8 dragster. I'm guessing that's also why he has the car trailer.

BP

if it was me then the cheap focus option sounds a good idea. 120K on an FI engine may mean more problems sooner rather than later.

He dropped it off at 4:30 today...

sc_tour_8x6.jpg

I'm also going to be laughing all the way to the bank. I'm 80% sure right now that it doesn't have a blown head gasket. Check out the plugs...

sc_plugs_8x6.jpg

They are spotless. No oil or coolant.

Also, the cylinders are dry. The oil looks like new, not like a milkshake. BUT ...here's the kicker...

There is a TON of slack in the timing belt. I think that it jumped a bunch of teeth.

The previous owner said that overheated and that it wouldn't run after. The overflow hose on the coolant tank is pointed right at the cam gears. I think that with the combination of slack in the timing belt and getting hosed down with coolant, that the timing belt jumped all over the place. That is why there is almost no compression when you check it with a compression tester.

I've still gotta do some more research, but I'm thinking that the motor is fine.

This is going to be the steal of the century if all it is is the friggin timing. LOL!

BP

I also just found out that the guy put in a Contour MAF element in the Mustang housing. :troutslap:

The part number 98AB-12B579-B2B matches a '00 Contour MAF that I already have.

This also explains why the oil smells like gas. Those 42# injectors must have been running wide open with that much airflow going through the stock MAF. Yikes!

Now I need to get my hands on a Mustang GT MAF...

The guy that had it between you and the previous CEG owner sounds like he should step away from cars. Nice pick up!

Love those wheels!

I'm jealous. Then again, I remember reading the emails back and forth during one of his earlier attempts to sell it. The guy was a real arrogant asshat. I wouldn't have been able to deal with him.

I hope it really is just the timing! I'm in the middle of installing a new head gasket. I can think of all kinds of **** I'd rather be doing! :nonono: **sigh**

I love it when I'm right....

sc_tour_bad_timing.jpg

It looks like the exhaust is off a few degrees. I don't know if that's enough to royally screw up the compression. I'm going to get the static timing right, then test the compression.

...cough...cough...sniffle...sniffle...

Huh, I may not be feeling well enough to go to work tomorrow. :laugh:

BP

why is the coilpack on backwards? or is that a post98 thing? i know my 97 the connector is on the front.

WOW, good eye. I wonder if that is yet another thing wrong with this car?

Any '00 Contours out there that can confirm the proper coil pack mounting? I'll have to check the length of the wiring harness too.

The plug wires that were on there were funky too. The didn't seem like they were the right lengths. My '96 stock wires (and the FRPP) wires are EXACTLY the right length.

BP

But I wonder if the new owner knew that it was backwards? He may have had the plug wires all wrong if he was following a regular manual.

Any '00 Contours out there that can confirm the proper coil pack mounting? I'll have to check the length of the wiring harness too.

BP

not a 'tour but my '00 mondeo...

if the exhaust is off and you are losing compression you'll be losing boost too

Attachments

• JRSC installation 027 (Small).jpg
    JRSC installation 027 (Small).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0010 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0010 (Small).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm going to go get a 4.6L MAF right now. I'll get that installed and get the timing set tonight. THEN I'll crank it. ;)

not a 'tour but my '00 mondeo...

if the exhaust is off and you are losing compression you'll be losing boost too

Cool. Thanks for the pics. BTW, your intake manifold is soo shiny... :drool: Mine's all corroded and spotted.

BP

Last edited:
What a load of crap. I've never been to a salvage yard with a bigger group of lazy a-holes. First they tell my that it's $10 more than what the guy on the phone told me. THEN they say that it would need to be pulled TOMORROW. WTF?!? :mad: :mad: :mad:

It's a friggin MAF not a engine.

I walked out empty handed.

Now I've got to figure out of I want to wait to have one shipped from ebay, or If I want to drive down to Kenosha after work sometime this week.

Well, it's back to setting the timing...

I mounted the coil the other way.....he probably put the wires on wrong. It is all becoming clear.

Get the MAF on, put the wires on correctly and I would bet it runs good.:laugh:

I mounted the coil the other way.....he probably put the wires on wrong. It is all becoming clear.

Get the MAF on, put the wires on correctly and I would bet it runs good.:laugh:

Right is left in Mexico....Damn Canadians and there metrics!!!:mad:

Last edited:
Back