• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Started project free SVT today....

Went out last night and bought some new toys, including a torch for some stubborn bolts.

The front SF is stripped now and awaiting seam welding and solid bushings. Once that's done it'll get a coat of paint and get it bolted up with the steering rack and 20mm SB with poly bushings (thanks Todd and Mluko) and i'll get the rad. bolted up and start working on the wiring for it.

I'm picking up my new(to me) drivers seat on Sunday, it weighs about 15 lbs verses the 50 lb. stock drivers seat. :cool: Once i have that i can start laying out the interior and put the dash on it's diet cutting out all the under structure.

I've also figured out the steering wheel setup so i'll be sourcing those parts soon. The fund for the car is just over $500 now with the sale of an engine and some otehr bits and pieces from the old parts car, that means the 3L is paid for. I'll hopefully have that here in a month or two after i assemble and test run the 2.5 I'm harvesting the cams and timing off of. :cool:

Minor update:

Got the drivers seat.....yes it's the hotness and oh so comfy. The only disadvantage is it's a fitted seat, so some people may not be able to drive the car based on size. There is no adjustment in it for different sized drivers.

Started working on the brake setup today and discovered that the new setup 330/300 mm is almost exactly the same biass as the stock 278/252mm. It's .3% off of the stock. :cool:

i'll be lightening the fron 5mph bumper this week ans well as sourcing some CNC plasma work from a very generous CEGer that we all know and love so hopefully the half cage will start taking shape soon.

The front camber adjustment system is in preliminary design stages awaiting some parts and the front subframe is awaiting seam welding and solid bushings.

Ran some numbers today with regards to weight. As the car was disassembled, each component was weighed individually to obtain an accurate record of contour part weights for anyones future project.

The SVT's advertised curb weight was advertised at 3,110 lbs.

Right now I'm looking at about 2,760 lbs with the half cage installed. :cool:

If i was keeping the engine stock my flywheel pwr/weight ratio would go from 15.94lb/hp to 14.15lb/hp.

Last edited:
so josh, did you strip the sound deadening material from the body yet?

[should have mine finished up this week, the totals only in the 10-15 pound range, eitherway I'll have weights posted shortly]

Lots of people recommend getting some liquid nitrogen or dry ice or something to remove that stuff.

You freeze it and it's easier to crack off.

Granted, this is not first hand knowledge... so use at your own risk.

lol. thats exactly what he means, he used a dull screw driver and scraped every last bit of it up off the floor.

hey now, don't be giving away my secrets!! :mad:

yes thats exactly how I did it and I officially completed it last night after 4 years of attempting it.

and yes I keep hearing that dry ice is effective... but probably the best way to go [and something I didnt discover till last week] is simply using a hair dryer. Its actually pretty painless that way.

oh and I just weighed the remains, the front most floor pads weigh in at 1.85 pounds [to the point of the rubber firewall or whatever that is behind the dash] and 1.80 for the front most section over the "tranny tunnel" once again to the point of the firewall.

overall it all clocks in between 10-15 pounds, but I'll have total numbers next week.

[pulling up the previous weights - The material that covers the rear seats weights a grand total of 2 pounds. The stuff on the floor in front of the rear seats is a whopping 1.75 pounds.... also have weights for the rear section of the tranny tunnel posted somewhere]

Last edited:
i heat gun will soften that stuff right up for you..than just use a paint scraper,or something similar. not sure on the tour,but on the sho boards,i've heard as much as 28-30lbs was saved by removing that crap:shrug:

no its positively in the 10-15 pound range, the reason I've [and others] have gone to such extents with this is to remove alot of these hear-say numbers and give accurate figures.

also there are some pads of sounddeadening inside the doors as well, those seem like they will pull off pretty easily but since I broke my car down with the windows fully open, I have to leave them in for the time being.

They use 2 types of material for the sound deadening, the darker stuff is much gooyier and generally easier to pull up, the light silvery stuff is much more brittle and more strongly bonded to the car, but can be pulled up the same way with heavy heavy amounts of heat.

Last edited:
no its positively in the 10-15 pound range, the reason I've [and others] have gone to such extents with this is to remove alot of these hear-say numbers and give accurate figures.

I've got a complete catalog of component weights as well that i'm working on. :cool:

Back