• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

spec clutch failure.

I talked to the guy the other day and he suggested that I go for the green organic clutch and yellow pressure plate, IIRC. I told him that I intend for the car to see a lot of track time between road course and autoX.

What would be the advantage to go with the fiber carbon clutch?

i didnt have extra money for the clutch till last thursday. i took a day to make, it got sent out on friday afternoon. three day shipping, it should be here tomorrow or thursday since they probably don't work on columbus day. i'll bring it over, tony :)

they didnt write down my apartment number on the address, so UPS called me. it'll be here friday now, supposedly. ugh :(

still gotta get a new drivers side axle anyways.

well its back together. the clutch i bought was the one showed in the picture but they totally closed the windows so the springs will never come out. it's pretty smooth, slightly smoother than the stage3 spec clutch, but its basically a copy of it. one thing i do really like about it is the splines are PERFECTLY matched up to the input shaft. the spec clutch slid on really easy and thats where the chatter came from that i had when i let the clutch out in neutral (could always hear it in drive thru's, or against my garage) now its silent, smooth, and comfy. until you dump it then it'll rip your head off.

so far so good! its got no chatter sound like i had with the spec clutch. its got very very minimal chatter when engaging the clutch slow, it doesnt chatter enough to shudder the car but you can feel it in the clutch pedal a small amount. overall its twice as smooth as teh stage 3 spec clutch and it grabs like a mofo! loving it so far :)

Shop told me today that my Spec 3+ just did the exact same thing yours did.....with far fewer miles.

Drop a stock SVT clutch in there unless you plan on dropping some FI on the car soon. Nobody complains about the stock SVT clutch and everyone complains about the Spec clutches. I'm not sure why Kyle in this thread was having issues with it holding. He may have glazed his disk or flywheel which was the real issue. I ran my stock SVT with the supercharger and it was fine until high rpms where it would slip. A 3L isn't going to be a problem for the stock one.

Drop a stock SVT clutch in there unless you plan on dropping some FI on the car soon. Nobody complains about the stock SVT clutch and everyone complains about the Spec clutches. I'm not sure why Kyle in this thread was having issues with it holding. He may have glazed his disk or flywheel which was the real issue. I ran my stock SVT with the supercharger and it was fine until high rpms where it would slip. A 3L isn't going to be a problem for the stock one.

You haven't met my 3.0L. :shrug: :laugh: I think I am going to go with a clutchnet like TRicker.

clutchnet is the way to go.... but elraido, blackcoog's 3L will eat yours and mine at the same time.

even N/A, he put down 225 whp untuned. its the real deal lol

I realize it's been a few years since the last post in this thread, but has any have any recent experience with this clutch kit? While my car is still apart getting the tranny repaired, I might as well drop in an upgraded clutch and flywheel. Just wondering how the more recent Spec Stage 3 clutches have been holding out.

A Spec 3 is way overkill for your setup Chris.
Yeah Joe, I agree it is overkill, but the price quote for the SPEC 3 from shop that has my car, was about the same as a stage 2. I asked them to quote me for a SPEC 2 but heck, another one of those might as wells for me or the lucky buyer of my car (if it sells). :)

Back