• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

timing chain?

LocoLobo

CEG'er
ok, so i'm doing a 3L swap and i was wondering if there is any reason in changing out the timing chain other than the fact that it's annoying to try and change it after the engine is back in, so what does everyone think? should i replace them or not?

If the engine is sludged or has enough miles to warrant a timing chain replacement, there are a bunch of other things you should replace too.

If your taking the timing chains off...replace them.

FWIW, whatever cams your are using, the corresponding chains needs to be used as well.

yeah, i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with the svt cams, which have like 160K miles on them and it kinda saddens me to not use the lower mileage cams from the 3.0. should i replace the cam gears also? the old engine was nasty but the chain and gears appear to be in decent shape, also should i worry about the tensioner guides/tracks?

yeah, i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go with the svt cams, which have like 160K miles on them and it kinda saddens me to not use the lower mileage cams from the 3.0. should i replace the cam gears also? the old engine was nasty but the chain and gears appear to be in decent shape, also should i worry about the tensioner guides/tracks?

The cam gears are not something that is supposed to be taken off the cams. If you did take them off, you would be better off picking up another set of cams instead of trying to figure out how to realign them. Thats one of the main reasons the custom Cat Cams are such a turn off to members here (besides the price). The cam gears have to pressed on.

Yes, I would definetely replace the tensioners, guides, etc. Those have been known to fail in 3.0L builds because people threw their old ones back in.

FWIW, whatever cams your are using, the corresponding chains needs to be used as well.

i have a ebay kit that come for 2.5 and 3.0 duratec engines and is the same chain.

i have a 3.0 cams and now installed 2.5 svt cams and no need to change to other size of chains.

3.0 block and 2.5 svt heads. is any reason to ask for 3.0 chains only?

is any reason to ask for 3.0 chains only?
I'm not sure when, (it looks like the 97 3L manual shows the old style, but from 98 on is the current style), but at some point, the 3L got thinner chain guides to go with thinner chains that had more links to accomodate extra teeth put on the timing gears.

early contour and some cougars use what is called the narrow chain. the 3L is a different chain, the pitch or something like that is suppose to be different.

you always want matching timing components. do not mix 2.5 and 3L parts.

early contour and some cougars use what is called the narrow chain. the 3L is a different chain, the pitch or something like that is suppose to be different.

i will take pics of the kit i have it will be a good idea to make a post of timing componentes with 2.5 and 3.0 because is a litle hard to know that kind of stuff to use, like the first time i want to start the 3.0 swap the timing mark was in 2.5 position never start until i change to 3.0 (my mechanic do that)

i will take pics of the kit i have it will be a good idea to make a post of timing componentes with 2.5 and 3.0 because is a litle hard to know that kind of stuff to use, like the first time i want to start the 3.0 swap the timing mark was in 2.5 position never start until i change to 3.0 (my mechanic do that)

FYI the timing mark has to be in the 2.5L position not the 3L position. The 2.5L position is for the 2.5L timing cover and the Escape cover. The 3L position is for the taurus cover.

FYI the timing mark has to be in the 2.5L position not the 3L position. The 2.5L position is for the 2.5L timing cover and the Escape cover. The 3L position is for the taurus cover.

then was on 3l and change to 2.5 he tell me the timing mark was wrong and just change., thats why will be interesting and make a pictur post for a 3l swap and aprts

OK, if thats the case what chain do i use for 98 cams?

Back