• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

spec clutch failure.

No way i'd put any of those dumps in my car while it's apart, any option is better.

Clutchnet
Southbend
Competition

I've got one of the few that are still going strong. I've got a spec stage 3+. About 20k miles or so on it I think. However, i'm tearing apart my engine now to go forged, and I don't wanna put in the same clutch. So now I think i'll be going with a clutchnet

Unfortunately, here in Canada, I don't have easy access to the recommended brands, so with talking with the shop (where my car is), they mentioned today that the alternative they could get me is a Centerforce Dual Friction, DF988988 clutch kit. I haven't come across the Centerforce clutches in a long time (0ver 10 years) but the shop says they have had good success with Centerforce.

Thanks for all the input to Chris ....fellow CEGer's
When my leaking head gasket finally takes out my MercSVT engine
My dream would be to buy the CTA Motorsports SVT
So Chris my buddy...keep putting in top notch components...lol
doug p
ps can't understand this car still on the market when u see all the detail and ulta fine workmanship in it
Tried in vane to get my son to buy it but he wanted a SVT Focus...go figure

Probably a good clutch but, It's only rated for 270tq. I considered it.
I had a couple of dyno runs done on the SVT before the tranny was pulled. On the Mustang Dyno, and with this Vortech set up, it produces around 200lbsft at the wheels, and all up high, so the Centerforce should be fine. HP was 253 at the wheels. Mind you, I am getting work done on the fuel system, will have a smaller SC pulley installed and tuned, but I don't see the end values exceeding the ratings on the Centerforce clutch.

All said and done (probably repeating myself), whether it be me or a buyer for my SVT, the car will be in tip top shape to be enjoyed. ;)

Before i totaled my svt, my end game was the clutchnet solid hub disc with a friction material similar to a stock clutch. It held together for my 220hp/210 ft/lb, but a couple times i got it to slip in perfect traction situations. I wouldnt run that on a boosted car, but i would run a solid hub again.

Back