• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Junking the contour

Massasoit

CEG'er
Well, I don't really want to junk it, but there's not much else to do, I suppose.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with it? My parents and I decided to get rid of it, because the repairs would not make sense, as we have another cheaper way to obtain a brand new vehicle.

I was hoping someone would buy it for parts or to fix, but I'm not sure how to go about finding someone.

I know this is probably the wrong area for this, but I just want to ask ya'll new englanders what I should do.

Car works, but it needs a new alternator, and replacing the altrenator runs a risk of damaging the exhaust.

So if anyone knows someone that may be interested, or junkers that will give me a reasonable price, I'd be appreciative.

Once again, sorry for posting this in this section,
and thanks.
-Massasoit

Car works, but it needs a new alternator, and replacing the altrenator runs a risk of damaging the exhaust.

how so, I am very :confused:. you do not need to remove the exhaust to replace the alternator on a V6, nor the I4 but since I haven't changed on on a zetec i am not sure ....

if you want to you could find a place to just donate it to and take teh tax write off. or drive over to a local junk yard and see what they will give you for it ...

The alternator on the Zetec isn't even close the exhaust. Try selling the car at least for cheap. Someone may want it. Post it in the classifieds (once you get 50 posts).

If it is just a bad alternator, it is definitely worth fixing.
give us some more info about the are and where you are and i am sure we can help you work it out.

Well the part about being able to obtain a new car is that through my mom's work she can get a car that they will pay everything for (gas, insurance, ect), and she only needs to pay a small fee.

Well the part about being able to obtain a new car is that through my mom's work she can get a car that they will pay everything for (gas, insurance, ect), and she only needs to pay a small fee.

and normally a company car is suppose to be for the employee only .... if the only problem with your contour is the alternator it is definately worth fixing. who knows it could just be the mega fuse ....

Guys, Massasoit drives a '95 V6...Not a Zetec :shrug:
It's an expensive job if it gets brought to a shop I would think. Massasoit, just try getting one of the locals to see if they can help you. Replacing the alternator requires a few socket extensions and is VERY tricky, but can be done at home. It probably isn't worth it to sell it because you're not going to get much cash for it to be honest.

Hmmmm a '95 V6?? Is and auto or a stick? I do have more kids and one of them is afraid to learn to drive a stick.

seems roger has bought into the same thing I have, get the same car you already have and you know all of the problems and how to fix them already, makes a good investment if you ask me ...

seems roger has bought into the same thing I have, get the same car you already have and you know all of the problems and how to fix them already, makes a good investment if you ask me ...

Yeah that's why Lindsey ended up with a Contour :cool: . Sorry to hear about the car, though, Massasoit. I still think you should keep it :p.

I'll be devil's advocate here. If you can get a few-years-old car to drive, depending on the car it's probably a good idea to sell the Contour. (But not if it's a Chevy Aveo or something worse!)

I wouldn't junk the Contour if it only needs an alternator.

Where in Mass are you? I might be interested in it. Maybe I can figure out how to replace the alternator.

if his handle is any indication, he lives in the Massasoit area (village) in Worcester MA...

i think you would be able to replace it without any problems

Well the problem is a 3 1/2 hr drive, the cold, and absolutely no knowledge of Duratecs. Plus I don't know what's involved buying a car out of state, especially w/ NY's screwy no-fault.

Well the problem is a 3 1/2 hr drive, the cold, and absolutely no knowledge of Duratecs. Plus I don't know what's involved buying a car out of state, especially w/ NY's screwy no-fault.

the out of state thing shouldn't be to bad. When I got my SVT I took proof of insurance and I was issued a temp tag/registration to drive home with. worked out very nicely...

Back