• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Simple Mods

Yea...keep a real good eye out for PS/Alt pulley. As for the UD crank pulley...umm...good luck on that one. They are impossible to find new..and used ones (taken off the car) end up being warped.

I guess your Mazdas didn't show much but its still a gain right? Every test of underdrive pulleys I've ever seen show a gain, as they should, and its always been more than 1-2hp.

But was that gain or shift? The Mazdas seemed to gain 1-2hp but the shift would be 5-7 probably. On both of my cars the stock dampner had already failed (2 pieces with a rubber gasket) so the cars couldnt be timed exactly right so I went with a lighter weight solid pulley which let me time the cars correctly and made my butt dyno happier.

Not really sure what you're asking.
Peak-to-peak gains may only be 1-2 but more like 5-7 somewhere else?
Either way, pulleys will almost always gain everywhere on the power curve as it is less engine drag at all rpm.
-J

I was just asking if it was an across the chart gain (on other Mazdas it wasn't) or if it just bumped the power peak slightly in a different place kinda like an air filter will.

i wouldn't when you can buy an ASP pulley for 130 dollars on ebay...or 180 online site stores.

Rotational mass is less ...which ='s quicker rotation of the crank, which ='s fast rotating engine. More power is not created.. but the power released from the weight that held it behind... becomes visible now. :)

i too, have been wanting to get underdrive pullies since i owned my last svt. what site can i go to? i hope this isn't a dumb question but what does ASP stand for??

lol ok sorry bout that. i'll check it out. usually when i check ebay its mostly grilles and rotors. its been a while tho. thanks harry.

Rotational mass is less ...which ='s quicker rotation of the crank, which ='s fast rotating engine. More power is not created.. but the power released from the weight that held it behind... becomes visible now. :)

You're a poet and didn't know it. :)

are these things easy to install? i did an alt replace in 5 hours, wasnt too hard/ i just took my time learning all the mechanism down there

are these things easy to install? i did an alt replace in 5 hours, wasnt too hard/ i just took my time learning all the mechanism down there

Need a crank pulley removal tool kit from an auto part store (rent one).
New ford bolt. $3.50
Crank pulley $135.00
Breaker bar, or long pipe over ratchet.

I did have to heat up my pulley in the oven @ 300 degrees for 25 mins. To make it expand far enough so it can slip over the crank shaft itself. Once it slipped in i bolted it down and called it a day.

Took me about 1.5 hours to do. And i do take my sweet time when i worked on my car. I tend to find dirty stuff so i always got side tracked cleaning random parts :crazy:

ok so from what iv read on this form and doing a little bit more digging i take back wat i said and am convinced an UD pulley is a good idea!

lol my bad

i'm pretty sure you can put a NOS sticker on and that will add some serious hp...if you don't wanna go with the spray you can use japanese letters instead:shrug:

i'm pretty sure you can put a NOS sticker on and that will add some serious hp...if you don't wanna go with the spray you can use japanese letters instead:shrug:

So the purpose of that post was to imply that people are wasting their time with UD/OD pulley's? Sorry if it was a joke or something, I'm honestly horrible at judging if people are joking or are being serious on the internet lol.

no i'm usually pretty sarcastic and usually pretty dry with humor i have been told to add a smiley when i'm joking to help with it...but personally i don't think people are wasting their time with the pulleys for the price it seems like a decent mod, but no my post wasn't implying anything against them just my sad attempt at humor haha

no i'm usually pretty sarcastic and usually pretty dry with humor i have been told to add a smiley when i'm joking to help with it...but personally i don't think people are wasting their time with the pulleys for the price it seems like a decent mod, but no my post wasn't implying anything against them just my sad attempt at humor haha

Lol it's all good. For me personally, like I said I'm horrible at telling humour on the internet. I need something obvious to tell me it was a joke lol. Yeah I love my UD/OD pulley's. My steering feel now with all the mods I've done, including the OD power steering pulley, is just absolutely fantastic!

Back