• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3l ?

thats right its a 2000 sable motor. same one i have in mine. when i got mine it had no water pump extension so i went out and bought 2002 kinger pnp heads. you can either run an electric waterpump or get taurus heads.
clean motor none the less. good find.

This Sable is actually gonna be my brothers car to drive(not a donor for my SVT, unfortunately). Out of my own curiosity, I wanted to know if you guys thought the engine looked original for the year(2000). I don't think it is, and the salesman says they have no record of any engine work/ replacement. I wonder if someone popped a Mazda spec 3L in there??? Funny thing is the dealership its at is a Mazda dealer.

thats right its a 2000 sable motor. same one i have in mine. when i got mine it had no water pump extension so i went out and bought 2002 kinger pnp heads. you can either run an electric waterpump or get taurus heads.
clean motor none the less. good find.

Does yours have coil-on-plug?

http://images.cars.com/supersized/DMI/91200/H31559A.18.jpg

My bros thinking about pickin' this up. Does this look like a 2000 model yr 3L? It has coil on plug, and I didn't think that came on earlier 3Ls. I think the engine's been replaced. BTW it's in a 2000 Sable.

my 02 sable 3L didnt have coils on the wires.. mine had a dizzy ab wires. so yea im assuming its newer then 04. an when someone owns a car they dont have to let anyone know as long as the vins are not stolen your fine. your just getting lucky with a motor with less miles lol

my 02 sable 3L didnt have coils on the wires.. mine had a dizzy ab wires. so yea im assuming its newer then 04. an when someone owns a car they dont have to let anyone know as long as the vins are not stolen your fine. your just getting lucky with a motor with less miles lol

Yeah I'm cool w/ the newer motor fo sure! I just didn't think a 2000 3L had COP. Was your 3L a DTech 'cuz if it was a Vulcan that would explain it.

can we pls stop the confusion? the 2000 & up DOHC sables did have ignition coils(coil on plug system). the vulcan pushrod motor on the other hand did have the spark plug wires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_30_engine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Sable

Now, I am new to the contour scene. But from the wiki article you just posted...wouldn't it make more sense to use one of the 3Ls out of the Lincoln LS or Jaguar AJ30? Is it even possible to do a full 3L swap utilizing the DAMB version of the Duratec? It would net you another 30HP which is why I ask? Or better yet, use a compatible Taurus block (like an 05 for instance), with the DAMB 3.0 heads (out of the Jag), SVT Cams (for that top end we all know and love), and just the oval port style 3.0 intake? It would be the best of all worlds as far as i can see... any suggestions?

Now, I am new to the contour scene. But from the wiki article you just posted...wouldn't it make more sense to use one of the 3Ls out of the Lincoln LS or Jaguar AJ30? Is it even possible to do a full 3L swap utilizing the DAMB version of the Duratec? It would net you another 30HP which is why I ask? Or better yet, use a compatible Taurus block (like an 05 for instance), with the DAMB 3.0 heads (out of the Jag), SVT Cams (for that top end we all know and love), and just the oval port style 3.0 intake? It would be the best of all worlds as far as i can see... any suggestions?

I suggest you search

Ok, so i have searched around.. And I haven't really got a clear answer as to why the DAMB heads will not work. All I see is something about VCT this, VCT that... What's makes VCT incompatible with our cars? I have searched, and no one has given an answer other then..."VCT = No Good" And not all DAMB heads employ VCT if i did my research right. Like i said I am new to cars in general, but I would like to think I know enough about them to understand what people are talking about. So can someone please just give me a straight answer as to specifically why these heads aren't compatible?

Back