• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Simple Mods

sheenut

CEG'er
I was wondering if you guys can lead me to some simple mods that I can do to my csvt to add some power.I really didn't want to sink a lot of money into it so anyhting would be helpful Thanks!

Um... go through the first 2 or 3 pages of this forum? You aren't going to get much without paying though. Cheap, reliable, fast, you only get to pick two.

I'm not trying to be an ass, there really isn't anything you can do for very little money to free up any significant amount of power. I guess drop in K&N panel filter? The only other cheap/free thing I can think of is optimizing the throttle body and that is in the how-to section.

How much money do you want to spend? Bolt ons are "simple" but you have to pay to play. Parts for these cars are not dirt cheap like they are for small block Fords/Chevys.

yep, your gonna have to spend money to goo fast. you can do a BAT,TRUBENDZ, OR MSDS ypipe but they cost money and aren't cheap. you can also do a KKM intake. i think that can be had for about $100. headers are quite expensive too, i agree it all depends on how much you want to spend.

An UD crank pulley will always show gains, you can read whatever you want but that is a fact.

That's like saying an air filter will always show gains. To me shifting the power band around by 1-2 hp (what it did on my Mazdas for example) wouldn't be worth it on out cars since they're already known for having alternator problems.

I guess your Mazdas didn't show much but its still a gain right? Every test of underdrive pulleys I've ever seen show a gain, as they should, and its always been more than 1-2hp.
-J

I guess your Mazdas didn't show much but its still a gain right? Every test of underdrive pulleys I've ever seen show a gain, as they should, and its always been more than 1-2hp.
-J

I have an UD Crank pulley and an OD power steering pulley. When I bought my car it already had the UD Crank pulley on it, so I can't comment on if I had felt any gains. With the OD power steering pulley I felt a difference, if not power wise than by the way the steering feels. I like the way it made the steering feel heavier, which I like and am used to because of my Go-Karting experience.

In my eyes, the OD power steering pulley had a gain, so I agree with biminiLX.

You will see a gain. I support and respect the UDP on our cars since i ran mine for many years with no issues what so ever. Yes the vibration have been shown to decrease longevity with the bearings taking more abuse. It has been shown that the Vibrations on the 2.5L do not cause any damage untill after 6,500 rpms. Meaning you install a UDP and keep it under 6,500 rpms it won't be causing any more of an issue then having the stock pulley on.

Also the UDP from sho-source was dyno'd by the Taurus guys on the Taurus boards on the 3.0L DOHC engines showing an average gain of 7-9whp and 6-9wtq. So on our cars reving upward towards 7k instead of 6,700 they do...we must be somewhere in in the 5-7whp range or higher for that matter.

My install of my UDP reduced my vibration on my car...at 46k miles. So i never understood the claim of increase of NVH while driving. Obviously those who used to claim it never owned one. :shrug: Also my mpg's went up and my acceleration off the line and 2nd gear were night and day. Best bang for the buck in my book and i will always recommend one for these cars.

I have an UD Crank pulley and an UD power steering pulley. When I bought my car it already had the UD Crank pulley on it, so I can't comment on if I had felt any gains. With the UD power steering pulley I felt a difference, if not power wise than by the way the steering feels. I like the way it made the steering feel heavier, which I like and am used to because of my Go-Karting experience.

In my eyes, the UD power steering pulley had a gain, so I agree with biminiLX.

Do you have my OD pulley on it? Whats on your car now? Awesome that you had one already on your car. How are you liking the pulleys while driving around town?

Unorthodox pulley is .7lbs
ASP = 1.2 lbs
Stock = 5.2 lbs

Do you have my OD pulley on it? Whats on your car now? Awesome that you had one already on your car. How are you liking the pulleys while driving around town?

Unorthodox pulley is .7lbs
ASP = 1.2 lbs
Stock = 5.2 lbs

Why yes I do Harry. I meant to say OD. Actually, I dont know why I said UD lol.

Ummm... I think it's Unorthodox racing. Atleast that's what it said in the ad when it was for sale when I bought the car. I could always ask the guy who sold it to me since he's a friend of mine. I know that it's red. It's fine driving around town. I like the way the steering feels after I had it installed. A little heavier, but that's how I like my steering.

Oh yeah, I still don't have the SFC's installed that I bought from you last summer lol. I should be getting them installed in the next week or 2.

Back