• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Freakin' Starter Issues

Phil Rohtla

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, my battery checked out, so it appears my starter has gone tits up.

I have been trying to get the thing out of the car, using the AutoZone instructions and the Ford CD. How does one actually get to the bolts to remove them? I have the air box and tube out, and I've pulled the air cleaner support bracket. The fuel lines aren't apparently attached to anything. Now I have a rat's nest of coolant and fuel lines in there, and I can *just* reach the front starter bolt with a gear wrench, but not reach it well enough to actually turn the wrench.

Has anyone got some pointers on how to reach the starter bolts? And how to get the damn things inserted again to install the new starter? Thanks.

You will have to go under car. I always pull the one front highest bolt under the hood then pull the other 2 under the car. The wiring harness held by 2 nuts, one small, one larger. Small is 10 mm., big is 13 mm. Small one activates solenoid, big one for battery cable. Use deep sockets, rachet to pull nuts.

PB it, then let it set for a little while.

You can crack it open with an open ended wrench, with a little luck you can unscrew it with your fingers.

I am such a dumb butt. Forgive me, I should learn to read. My instructions were for a zetec.

Phil,

I just did this Sunday evening. I ended up pulling all the coolant lines off of that 'tree' to make some room. It was the only way I could get that front bolt out. Also, I do not believe you will be able to remove the starter with all off the coolant lines attached anyway.

Just sacrifice the coolant and save yourself some skin and time.

I could totally be making this up, but I SWEAR that the starter will just pull right out if you turn it just the right away. :shrug: I recall aircougar pulling Tony's starter out without any issues while doing a header install...

I could totally be making this up, but I SWEAR that the starter will just pull right out if you turn it just the right away. :shrug: I recall aircougar pulling Tony's starter out without any issues while doing a header install...

that is correct, you can get the starter out with just removing the intake. ake some turning and pushing coolant lines out of the way, but it isn't to bad. hardest thing is getting to the forward bolt.

that is correct, you can get the starter out with just removing the intake. ake some turning and pushing coolant lines out of the way, but it isn't to bad. hardest thing is getting to the forward bolt.

How did you get to the forward bolt? Long wrench? Lots of wobble extensions?

I am not worried about the starter coming out past those coolant lines -- the path looks plenty clear enough to me.

I gather to get to the rear bolt, one has to use extensions? I can't really see it that well --I am a big guy, and it's harder for me than some to get under the hood of this thing.

bolt on the firewall side you can get to with extensions and a swivle.

the other bolt is under the water cross over tube between the heads and you are not getting anything but a wrench in there .... just hope it isn't to tight.

you should be able to get a bolt extractor in there, the type that fit into a ratch, comes as a set.

Cool, I have the extractors, but I'll need some extensions and likely a longer wrench. Thanks for the advice. I'll post an update if I ever get around to doing this.

On the front bolt I just got an open end wrench on it and then clamped a vise grip pliers onto the wrench at the only possible angle to gain some more leverage. A few nasty words and your done. Pull, yank and twist that starter outta there. Wash the blood off your hands and hope you never have to do that again.

That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing with one of my gear wrenches -- either that or buy a longer wrench.

And -- dammit -- the mechanic with the incredibly small hands that lived down the street moved!

Update!

Update!

Well, I was off sick yesterday, but once the problem...."passed," I decided to give the job a go.

To get the front bolt out, I used a gear wrench. At first, I though that it wasn't going to do the job, but then I figured out I could use an extension as a T-bar, and I got the bolt loose. On the other bolt, I used a six inch regular extension, and a couple of wobble extensions (best $9 I ever spent) to break things loose.

Getting the starter out was a challenge, as the base was constantly hooking on things. Having the battery out was VERY useful, as it gave me extra manouvering space. I found the best way to get the starter out was to pull it towards the battery's shelf, and then drop it down to the driveway. Getting the starter in place was another joyful experience, with similar problems. Pulling the harness on the...thing...on top of the tranny helped. It would have likely helped with removal as well.

I was worried about getting the bolts back into their holes and started, but I was able to do this with my hands. And if I can get my meat hooks in there, the vast majority of people will be able to.

It was a good feeling when she fired on the first turn of the key. I walked into the house, put my tools on the floor, looked at the cat and said "I win."

Back