• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Short Shifter Riser Plate - Steeda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got mine today. I don't have a dremel, so is there anything else i can use to make the slot for the spring? I might just have to break down and get one if not.

I think the metal would be too thick to cut with shears, and it would take forever to cut away with a file. So, I think that the only real solution is a dremel. You might be able to get a dremel bit and put it in a standard drill. It will turn slower but I would probably give that a try, before spending 40 more bucks on a new dremel.

CSVT#49 (PAID)

Sorry it took me so long. I hadn't been keeping tabs on this thread and I've only been on here for a few minutes at a time over the last few weeks.

I'm hoping the extra height on this plate makes my shifts a little smoother.

1. pimpdcontour (money order in the mail. Paid.) (Sent without postage) (Resent)
2. icysvt(PAID) (Sent)
3. OB1 (PAID) (Sent)
4. Schattastic SVT(PAID) (Sent)
5. CSVT#49(Sent) (PAID)
6. dpa43(PAID) (Sent)
7. LukeDuke (PAID) (Sent)
8. CSVT1214 (PAID) (Sent)
9. Primalzer1998 (money order in the mail. Paid.) (Sent)
10.svtjon87(PAID) (Sent)
11.muntus(PAID) (Sent)
12. yamaharacer686 (PAID) (Sent)(Sent missing bolt)
13. Turbo_Fox (depending on shifter GB)
14. LostRacer (PAID) (Sent)
15. LilCe98 (PAID) (Sent)

Thanks all. Let me know if you have any questions.

I've been needing to get one for a while. i guess this will force me to now. Which demel bit do i use?

well i used a cut off wheel and a tapered grinding bit and a small hack saw. what i did was cut the top part with the cut off wheel then because the wheel is to big for the left- side part i cut it about half way through the metal then used pliers to bend the part you cut out so it would break off. bending it back and forth like how you would break a paper clip. then cleaned everything up with the grinding bit.

ALSO after cutting out the part i still wasn't able to use the spring. it would catch on the back of the shift cable ball and bind. and its really not bad at all without the spring.

I used the Dremel with some sort of hardened bit, cylindrical in shape. Very easy, and a very nice piece. This group buy was a lot better than the one for those gauges. :mad: Thanks a lot.:cool:

Definitly looks like a quality piece, and I'm excited to put it in. Has anyone had any luck with the rubber shifter bushings? I've been told by EVERYONE that I won't be able to get the unless i buy the entire tower! :mad: I didn't even ask how much that was because im sure it is over the $10 im willing to spend :shrug:.

-Jon

For my Laser I can buy brass shifter bushings (shift tower to the floor panel) to improve precise shifting. If anyone is or knows a machinist that could make brass or aluminum bushing the dementions of the rubber ones, you could probably sell a good number of them.

Why is everyone grinding the shift tower to use the original centering spring?

My Steeda kit came with a new leaf spring that does the centering for you and it simply bolts on.

The pics of the short shifter kit show the same spring included.

The installation instructions never mention it though.

Last edited:
Why is everyone grinding the shift tower to use the original centering spring?

My Steeda kit came with a new leaf spring that does the centering for you and it simply bolts on.

The pics of the short shifter kit show the same spring included.

The installation instructions never mention it though.

umm wtf are you talking about. you dont use that on a contour. its for the focus. and where the F*** did you put it?

Last edited:
does any one know the dimemtions of the riser plate needed for the 2000 style tower? i kinda need this as i don't wanna have the tour down for a couple days with the tower riped out..

umm wtf are you talking about. you dont use that on a contour. its for the focus. and where the F*** did you put it?

It fit perfectly on mine.

It attaches on the top rear (facing the rear of the car) side of the spacer.

The only mod I did was remove the plastic spacer on the bottom of the shift tower (the piece that has the threaded inserts for the 60mm attachment screws) and put a long bolt in place of the plastic centering pin. There are 2 plastic pins that stick up to position the plastic plate and of course when you add the spacer, the one on the rear doesn't stick up far enough to prevent the leaf spring from rotating. The small bolt worked perfectly.

The leaf spring now works perfectly to center my shifter.

It wasn't in the instructions but that is how I thought it was supposed to work.

I discarded the factory spring.

Only took a couple of minutes to thread the bolt into the plastic.

It feels like factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back